Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Advice need lads/ladies.

2K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  kevin.g 
#1 · (Edited)
Got a thing for getting a litre bike and have seen an 2000 R1 at 31000 miles:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-YZ...5261231?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4abf31552f

At that money with all the shit done it's worth it, if you disagree please say.(I'll copy paste the pics and description if you yanks cannot see the UK ebay, just tell me)

However after a bad off(real bad) on the old K1 750 and somewhat of a knock in confidence I'm hesitant to step away from the trusty bandit 6, been back in the saddle 18 months.

I know the generic answer is 'whatever you are comfortable with' but......

Just wanted advice and opinions whether good or bad off you lovely ******* before I completely ignored you.

#2 ·
Get whatever youre comfortable with:wait

:lol
I always like the 1st&2nd Gen R1's and this one looks nice&clean. I think you will be fine,go for it:punk

#3 ·
Get whatever youre comfortable with:wait
:lol
I always like the 1st&2nd Gen R1's and this one looks nice&clean. I think you will be fine,go for it:punk
31k doesn't put you off with unknown history?

#5 ·
if you haven't regained confidence in 18 months, you probably never will. but what better way to try to regain it than jumping on this machine?! i like it. it is obviously looked after and 31k aint no thang!

#8 ·
I have confidence riding again, I was asking about jumping back from a 600 commuter after 18 months, to a thou SS, like I was a fresh rider. I just wanted thoughts.

#6 ·
Those 5 valve Genesis engines run forever,shit I think I remember the first factory recommended valve adjustment is at 20,000mi that says alot right there...

#12 ·
i do recall a 99 r1 original owner in a magazine not too long ago clocking 100,000miles.
in saying that, no history could be somewhat of an issue (to me personally).

i didnt look at the ad, just the pics, looks good, and if its your budget, id be tempted to take a look, as long as you could see it in person.

i bought a bike unseen (in person before), was exactly as i expected, a nightmare

#17 ·
I would get it if I was you Cainy. Just remember to respect the throttle & all that good stuff. :lol

#18 ·
Got a thing for getting a litre bike and have seen an 2000 R1 at 31000 miles:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-YZ...5261231?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4abf31552f

At that money with all the shit done it's worth it, if you disagree please say.(I'll copy paste the pics and description if you yanks cannot see the UK ebay, just tell me)

However after a bad off(real bad) on the old K1 750 and somewhat of a knock in confidence I'm hesitant to step away from the trusty bandit 6, been back in the saddle 18 months.

I know the generic answer is 'whatever you are comfortable with' but......

Just wanted advice and opinions whether good or bad off you lovely ******* before I completely ignored you.

Loved my R1.
Granted it was nothing like the newer litre bikes, but a blast to ride....:punk

Attachments

#22 ·
Well I'd certainly be getting a prepurchase inspection done, for peace of mind. The state of the chain and sprocket bolts looks fairly terrible.
And each to their own, but those mods on it seem like nothing to get frisky over. Seems like the steel lines are the only "useful" mod :shifty

Bloody nice price though, hopefully leave you with a bit of cash to get rid of the tinted screen and the farty can :lol

Out of the 3 bikes I've had, 2 have been sight unseen purchases (RG150 and SRAD), and both of them were/are great. I'm not so scared of buying unseen, but only when I have got a mechanic of my choosing doing the prepurchase inspection.

#23 ·
For once I am with Sam on this one. If u had to ask you obviously have some reservations. Just sit idle for a few days then start the search over. Maybe something else will catch your fancy at a decent price. R1 with an unsure rider=no bueno IMO

#31 ·
Yeah but don't have any new pics, the guy said I could take the bike if I came with the £1500, which I did, but then he refused to let me take it and said he wanted the auction to run.

Not a happy camper at all, he also refused to let me either take the bike out(full cash in hand) or jump on the back whilst he rode it so alarm bells where ringing, gutted because she looks as good in person as she does in the pics.

#37 ·
I wouldn't give up on it... Especially because it seems like you really want this bike. When is the bidding over?
In 9 hours, I just got the bug for another big bike it looked clean and was at good money, shame the seller is a headache though. I'll still try for it.

#34 ·
I had over 40k on my 98 r1 when we opened the engine to rebuild it. Looked mint. Had over 55k on it when I sold it and ran like a champ. If bikes are taken care of the mileage isn't really an issue. It's more important that regular maintenance was done. Before you actually pick it up you could let him know you want to do a compression check.

#38 · (Edited)
I don't know if the price is reasonable or not, but it sure does seem like a good, well cared for bike :thumbup

edit: just noticed the chain/sprocket... AHHHHH!!! :eek:hmy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.