Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Experience with aftermarket connection rods and pistons?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  streetfighterGSXR 
#1 ·
Does any one have placed some aftermarket rods and pistons in their bikes?

What were the gains?

Pity that all those brands only offer larger then stock pistons becaus i want to use pistons for the stock bore.

I want to have less rotating mass so that the engine revs faster and run a higher compression ratio (stronger rods).

Are those connection rods from carillo,pankl,... for stock displacemnt or for overbore?

#5 ·
I checked and didnt see any slip-fit pistons just oversize like you said. And this is just my opinion but I think the OEM rods in the 750 are plenty strong unless you are doing a complete all-out race build or you're going to spray or add boost.

#4 ·
For what bike?

Je or Wiseco will make just about any thing.

But if it is a cast iron bore, you need to check the the bore to make sure it's straight!

#6 ·
Bike is 7/11W

Well i plan to increase the compression ratio a bit, you think the original rods hold up?

Also by using a more lighter piston, the engine should rev faster no?

Pity that its only for overbore.

Or is it possible to lighten the pistons?

I will make them even balanced in weight this winter.

#7 ·
Those 1100W rods are pretty stout,buddy of mine had a Hahn turbo on his '98 1100 and he was running 220rwhp with stock rods and had zero issues. If your just bumping the CR a little then spending big money on rods is not needed.

#8 ·
When I was was shopping for pistons on a few other bikes I found that wiseco had std bore pistons while JE tend to only have +1, +2.. etc over bores.

Sorry, did not look in to what bike you had- was just going off of past experiences.

Also, try emailing Wiseco, great customer service. They may give you a part number or a kit number you can go and search online for... They may just not readily supply std size pistons for your application but may have in the past.

#9 ·
you guys seem to know your s***! Please i need some expert advise, i have one bad rod, the number for rod, i believe its the bearing, it has alot of play up and down and none of the other s do. I am an amateur and my lack of knowledge is offensive lol, so please dumb everything down. Anyway my question is, should i replace thee entire crank, or just the rod, or remachine the crack, or remachine just the rod? Pistons look ok, clearance seems ok, sleeves are fine. Please what do you think. Btw its a 92 liquid cooleLD GSXR 750 serial on the motor is R720. What does the WP,WN,WR represent in engine model? They was a W amd R on the cam shafts, is that what it stands for? like i said, its offensive lol.

#11 ·
Sorry i meant re machine the crank itself. Provided its okay and i can replace just the rod, what else will be required upon re assembly. the number four cylinder looks like it has some scaring in side, you cant feel it with your finger but it is visible, also, will i need to do anything with the head, or can you just slap it back on? Is Athenas? the best place for aftermarket engine gasket kits? Also this has been bored out to a 901 and the pistons have part numbers on them and im not sure where to find out which pistons they are and what piston rings to get. the numbers on the piston are 4553ps and below it say xa H48C2X. Thanks for all your help and insight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.