Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

A few curious questions?

22K views 238 replies 30 participants last post by  TT750 
#1 ·
If oil has been on a tyre for the past 2 weeks, could it be detrimental to the tyre?
For visual referance;

How do I change the gear shift to gp style on the srad?

What's faster, rider being equal.....an XRO srad, or a K6 thou?....Just curious!

trackday, or race schooling? In other words, what would you get more out of.....3 trackdays, or one day at a race school?

Which race school? Ron Haslam, Chris Walker, or CCS?

How does one back it in?......Intuition says it's rear brake but have heard it's front brake only :scratch

I'll add a few more, when I remember :banghead

See less See more
#2 ·
For street use the tire is ok, which is what you do with it, and even if it isn't... You crash on it anyway....
Flipping the knuckle linkage on the shaft at the transmission.
Depends on the track, how scared the owner is of scratching a irreplaceable xro, and how nice the k6 is...
I say Chris Walker, but we all know I am biased (helmet and all), and Ron Haslam was boring.
The fast way is front brake and engine brake, cheating and slow to rear brake.

Sent from my Xoom using Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
For street use the tire is ok, which is what you do with it, and even if it isn't... You crash on it anyway....

Ouch....that hurt :twitch

Flipping the knuckle linkage on the shaft at the transmission.

Is that alot of work...not sure i'm understanding :banghead

Depends on the track, how scared the owner is of scratching a irreplaceable xro, and how nice the k6 is...

Neither giving a shit about their respective bike, Donnington, or Silverstone, any fast sweeping track....then?

I say Chris Walker, but we all know I am biased (helmet and all), and Ron Haslam was boring.

Yea not a fan of Haslam....Rea will show him a thing or 2 next season, i'm sure!

The fast way is front brake and engine brake, cheating and slow to rear brake.

Sent from my Xoom using Motorcycle.com Free App
:cheers:cheers:cheers

#13 ·
Thankyou sir....I think I can handle that :) :thumbup

#15 · (Edited)
1,if it been on there for two week bin it..as it will have contaminated the tyre

2,just turn it up side down as shown

3,xro9 +168 r/w bhp ....160kg all dry
k6 1000 176 at crank...166kg all dry

i gues the k6 would put pull the xro bike,but the xro bike would have a lot better suspension set as it is a wsb bike..

4,race school all day long,did have my rac rally licence done by a rally school,was very good,will be the same for a bike id say..

5 for a srad rider......the stalker as he will give you a ; little be more...

6,with smooth line to start and have the front end set up for you,as i bike not set up right pushed can let you down... money spent on set up can save you £££ when you drop it..

#16 ·
Just use the tire, I forgot to put the oil seal in the water pump, so my tires were standing in the oil puddle for over a month, a little ride and they are fine again.
But I wouldn't go to the track with them, but street is fine.

#19 ·
Yeah man but I bet 90% of people who read that have no idea what you are talking about.:lol You know how they say a picture can speak 1000 words? This is the perfect example, because now they learn proper terminology, and also know what it looks like too.:lol :thumbup

#29 ·
Why you guys lifetime members........I've already contributed more :shifty :lmao

#32 ·
You never told the story of how the chief came about?

#33 ·
did the GP style switch up today while fixing the whole burnt rectifier plug issue. Took the bike out for the first time in over a month. Easiest and by far cheapest (free) mod i`ve ever done! I was having an issue where the linkage was hitting the shifter and that completely took care of the issue. one thing that did suck was i had to trim the fairing just under the linkage. not sure why, the picture shown earlier didnt look like they had to trim the plastics at all. BUT i`m happy.

#34 ·
If you want to service the brake calipers, as in cleaning the pistons......do you have to replace the seals?

#36 ·
Intention is to just clean the pistons Chris.....they are R1 monoblocks :twitch

#38 ·
what a friend told me was to go at them with a toothbrush and some cleaner. get the big crud then pump the brake ever so lightly to push the pistons out a weee bit. then clean more. after all the cleaning he told me i should be able to push one piston in and holding the others but one. the one you are not holding should pop out. they should move nice and smooth.

#39 ·
Yep, unbolt the caliper and push the pistons out a bit, and then clean them with a tooth brush and some kerosene. Then push them in again, you should be able to do that with your fingers, if not there are some dirt behind the seal, so you will need to take the piston and o-ring out and clean the grove, then reinstall the o-ring and piston.

#40 ·
#42 ·
If oil has been on a tyre for the past 2 weeks, could it be detrimental to the tyre?
For visual referance;
Its garbage. I would nto trust it
How do I change the gear shift to gp style on the srad?
The same as any other GSXR as far as I recall. Flip the shift arm where it enters the engine.
What's faster, rider being equal.....an XRO srad, or a K6 thou?....Just curious!
This cant be a serious question?
trackday, or race schooling? In other words, what would you get more out of.....3 trackdays, or one day at a race school?
SChool. Bar none. That is unless you are working with someone qualifed to teach at a trackday.

I guarantee I could teach most any novice to mid advanced rider more in one day of one on one teaching than they could learn in three days by themselves just riding around trying to figure it out.
Which race school? Ron Haslam, Chris Walker, or CCS?

How does one back it in?......Intuition says it's rear brake but have heard it's front brake only :scratch
Not rear brake at all.... not normally at least. AS you brake (with the front) you can do so hard enoguh to remove all weight from the rear tire. If you have just a tiny bit of weight on the rear, but you are using the engine to help you slow down (engine braking) the rear wheel will start to skid a bit... even with a slipper clutch... as it tries to accelerate the engine. If you are already starting to turn in or already are hanging off which makes the bike lean a bit while you counter steer to maintain your line, the skidding rear tire will start to come around on its own.

Normally a persons "body english" tries to counter act that, and they mostly keep it in line. Sometimes you get some wagging of the tail. On older bikes with no slipper often you get some chattering of the rear tire as well... but if you use the proper steering inputs and bodyh english it will be a gentle slide that is easy to control.

I DO use the rear sometiems to keep it hung out in rare instances past when it naturally wants to straighten itself out. This is not fast. It is actually slower. But I use it to stay wide (harder to pass) often, or to spook a guy behind me who I dont think is expecting it.

#44 ·
Thanks Joe....appreciate the input.

Tyres will be changed

Gear shift seems simple enough :)

It actually was a serious question but has been answered, thanks :twitch

I know for sure, you'd teach me a thing or two, as would some others but you guys are too damn far :dissapointed

Noted thanks!

I have a few more questions;

When people send the head of an engine off, to a engineer.....and it's had headwork, what does that involve?
Why can you use cutout serial boxes for some gaskets and not others? and what gaskets can't be replaced with cutout cereal boxes?

When an engine has had a full rebuild....what does that involve exactly?

#45 ·
There is all sorts of headwork; most common is valve seat work. Cutting the valve seat where it mates with the valve for a better blend. Stock its a 3 angle. In the day a good cut was a 5 angle, now it's a full radius (infinite number of cuts). That said, when you get it back, they likely had to remove considerable material on old bikes like ours, so be prepared with a big stash of very small valve shims in th 120-130 range to bring lash figures in. Head work could mean porting, but be careful with that. Theories change, find someone who knows what worked on srads, not just what works now. I suggest bench shimming your head, install valves and turn with screwdriver, it's much easier to do off bike, and you will have cams in and out many times if you had seats cut.

Not even going to dignify the cereal gasket answer, it must be a joke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.