Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Necessity of Repacking Carbon Fiber Cans.

6K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Moto_Joe 
#1 ·
I just got a Carbon Fiber TRC for my K5 1000 and like a sucker, I always read through the owner manual. Is it really necessary to repack these carbon exhausts? I've had plenty of aftermarket aluminum ones and those are damn near indestructible from the inside but I'm not too sure about these CF ones.

The manual says that it'll need a repack every 5k... I'm definitely too lazy for that:D. Tell me your opinion and let me know how long you've gone without repacking yours.

See less See more
#2 ·
You won't have to repack it nearly that often. They do that to cover their butt is all. Most every manufacturer does. The main thing that will kill the cf is if you park it outside in the hot sun 24/7 like in Arizona. If you do then you need to keep a wax on it that fights off the UV rays.

#8 ·
So would you guys reccomend I repack mine? 12500 miles on the can garage kept but the bike is kept in Florida. Would that cause for re-packing?

J

#9 ·
All right Cory you let the genie out of the bottle . What wax do you recommend for protecting Carbon Fiber and do you sell it? If not why not ? Time to corner the market bud.

#12 ·
The manufacturer says to repack it or else the packing breaks down and it will overheat the cf and break it down. I have almost 30,000 on stock packing and no ill effects on my pipe. The last time I had it apart the packing was still 50% whiteish so i put it back in.

#13 ·
I repack my Leo every oil change, but I'm just cool that way. I'm afraid the packing might get dirty. I protect the can with special "Mummy Juice" that Corey gave me on a camping trip.
I'm not sure if he sells the stuff, it's kind of sticky, smells like broccoli, but seems to protect the CF on the can pretty well so far. It was free, so I'm using it. :dunno

#15 ·
I have a CF TRC slip on on a k9 GSXR600 and emailed Yoshimura about the breaking in process of the exhaust and they brought up a little bit of how the packing wears out.

Yoshimura
It typically only takes one good ride to burn off any oils left over from the manufacturing process, and that is the only necessary "break-in" process for our exhaust systems.

Over time, the exhaust packing will wear down, and the sound of the muffler will change as well. This change is dependent on too many variables to accurately predict when it will happen.

As our exhaust systems packing degrades, they initially "open up" meaning volume increases slightly, and the tone changes slightly. Slightly degraded packing is not a terrible thing, but keep an eye on the muffler for any hot spots on the sleeve, which will be discolored compared to the rest of the sleeve, and also listen for the exhaust starting to sound "tinny", which means the packing is quite worn out.

#16 ·
It is far more important with a cf exhaust than an aluminum/stainless/ti.

They can and have burned through and caught fire when not.maintained properly. It is all dependent on how well the bike is tuned too. A bike that flames a lot and after fires a lot will wear out packing a lot faster.

Outside of the safety issue, the packing is also an important part of the canister and how well it makes power. Properly maintained it will make more power and of course sound better.

And ... after all...most street bikes get exhaust for the sound. Why let it degrade?

#18 ·
Drill bits, rivet handle, packing, safety wire, and tools to remove it from the bike.

Remove canister. DRill out rivets. Disassemble canister carefully. Remove old pakcing from the core. Wrap new packing around core and secure with safety wire. Stuff core back inside sleeve and rivet it back together. Re-install on the bike.

#20 ·
the above "how to" video uses loose packing.

For matt packing which some suppliers have, you would wrap the packing around the core, and wire tie it on loosely. Hard part is knowing how much to put in to fill the cannister.

#22 ·
#23 ·
#24 ·
I meant loose vs. rolled rather than name brand. My Vance and Hines came rolled so you just slipped it onto the baffle and reinstalled it. It looked like what you posted:

Just breaking the Yoshi open is a huge pain and will require acquisition of new tools that will rarely be used :rolleyes

#29 ·
I meant loose vs. rolled rather than name brand. My Vance and Hines came rolled so you just slipped it onto the baffle and reinstalled it. It looked like what you posted:

Just breaking the Yoshi open is a huge pain and will require acquisition of new tools that will rarely be used :rolleyes
Pretty much any exhaust will require the same stuff. :dunno. Any modern exhaust that is at least.

#31 ·
It is in some ways easier, but the loose fiber will probably fill the sleeve more completely really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.