Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Proper cornering techniques for a rookie

7K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  MellowYellow08 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new around here and new to bike riding. I took the MSF course at HD last fall and just bought a 2003 gsxr 750. I'm just looking for any tips on taking corners like a pro, I realize the basic concept (outside to inside to outside) Currently my cornering is just kind of sloppy, and I usually come in too slow and my "line just isn't very consistent its kind of all over. I know I just need a lot of practice, but wondering if any of you experts can offer any tips or techniques to help me get the ball rolling a little quicker. Awesome site BTW:punk

#3 ·
Welcome to the site.

There's a couple really good books out there for improving on what the MSF course gives you, and geared more for sport riding (MSF teaches you how to ride a UJM) Sportriding Techniques (I think) and Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2.

Your comments on your lines and speed suggests that maybe you're making one of the infamous mistakes the MSF tries hard at correcting brand new riders - not keeping your head up and looking through the turn. If you're looking down near the front of the bike to gauge where you are in the corner (for your spot on the 'line') you'd naturally slow down as things appear to happen faster. As you come up to the corners, pick a spot roughly halfway (depending on if it's a really long sweeper, maybe break that up into thirds) By looking far enough ahead, the bike will go where you're looking. Before you get to that spot, pick another spot further up to look at and so on.

The books will explain this better than I can, especially since they usually supply diagrams n' stuff. :biggrin

#5 · (Edited)
I think you may be right about the not looking up thing, I always had trouble looking out there, it kind of gives me the feeling that the bike could be drifting to the ditch or center line without me realizing it, I mean I don't look at the front tire but I don't look real far out there either. Some of the other students towards the end of the class were saying that by looking at where they wanted to go, the bike just followed. (like what you said) I never got this feeling, I don't know WTH I'm doing different :dunno I guess it takes practice:scratch

#13 · (Edited)
Another thing that makes me nervous while coming into a corner is gravel, specially on the back roads. Which I think is the main contributor to my slow entrance speeds and a lack of lean, I just don't want to get too "into" the corner and hit a gravel patch mid way, and down I go. Can even a couple stones in the road cause a skid while cornering?

#15 ·
This is EXACTLY why everyone tells you to go to a track. There are too many "unpredictables" on the street. Can a few stones make you go down; w/ the wrong reaction while hitting a corner fast, absolutely. Loose gravel, oil, sand and crap is a real quick way to get aquainted w/ the concrete if you're diving in fast.

Any time I plan on taking some quick turns I will ride the route conservative 1 time and them pick up the pace the second time. I don't "race" through the corners or try to drag knee so don't think I'm condoning these types of riding. We all have done "spirited" rides though and it is a huge rush to do it but caution is the name of the game on the street.

As far as technique and body position try searching youtube. There are some good videos out there that'll give you a visual reference of what "the right way" is. The only real way to figure it out is to study and then practice. The only safe place to do that is on a track.

#16 ·
I'm not really looking to take curves at 100mph, knee down on the streets, I'm just looking to improve my cornering and overall riding skills. I would love to practice on a track, and there is a track about an 1.5 hrs from me (Road America, in Elkhart Lake) I've never been there or to a bike race before, so I would have no idea what to expect, but I will defiantly look into it.

#18 ·
Looking thru or past the turns will usually keep you on the right path. I was taking sloppy corners when I bought my bike.
Now I look thru the turns and the bike follows very nicely.
When entering a turn try to look towards the end of it. The bike will take you where your looking most of the time.
Only been riding 3 weeks but the advice on this site is awsome.
Listen to these guys they know their shit!!
Thanks GDC!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.