Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Gixxer 750 vs 600cc vs Literbike?

25K views 79 replies 47 participants last post by  LaxBuddy21 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, first post here. Just one question... (strong username to post correlation)

I'm in the market for a new bike. I'm looking to trade in my SV, which was my 1st bike. I'm looking to stay with Suzuki, and the 750 has caught my eye. Truth be told, my motorcycles are my only transport & daily commuters to school, work, parties, functions, etc. I hear I-4 600s are too "revvy" for any street use. Any truth to that? I know literbikes have the torque & pull downlow but is it worth the extra insurance to be oozing with unusable power? That comes to the 750, which I hear is the right balance between torque & horsepower. Opinions? Suggestions? I don't care about ergos or anything I'm young so I can handle that lol. Price is somewhat of a factor. If a 600 fits the bill I'll take the lower price/insurance, but whatever it takes.

Too long, didn't read?
-OP wants new bike
-600 vs 750 vs 1000cc for commuting
-No care for ergos, comfort, blah blah blah
-Price has minimal input

#2 ·
if you can't convince yourself to get a 1k, don't spend the money/time/effort for one.

oozing with unusable power for a liter on the street is fairly accurate.

my vote's for the 750

#3 ·
I think the 750 is a good next step up from the SV. It's more powerful for sure but from the time I got mine it really didn't feel that intimidating. It really doesn't seem that much faster to me until I pull the old SV out for a flogging and I realize that I'm just used to the 750 now. I do most of my riding in the midrange, so I think that has a lot to do with why it hasn't felt like a huge adjustment. It pulls really well in the midrange, but doesn't feel like there's a big rush of acceleration until the revs are higher. The 750 does require a lot more finesse with the throttle, especially when going from closed to open mid-corner. It's pretty easy to upset the chassis if your throttle control isn't good. I've only ridden a couple of 1K supersports and they seemed a bit overwhelming to me.

#4 ·
After owning bikes of all 3 sizes and using them for commuting, weekend fun rides and many trackdays I prefer the 750.

The 750 is the perfect balance of useable power, handling and price. It's only about $600 more than a 600 is while the 600 to 1000 is about a $2K bump in price.

Not sure about your area but the 750 seems to be forgetten at the dealerships, since anyone stepping up from a 600 will typically get a 1000 so normally there are big discounts for a 750. At the end of 2009 I got my "leftover" 750 for less than they would drop the price on a 600, if I remember correctly about $5-600 less than they would negotiate a 600 to, all because there "wasn't a demand" for the 750 like there is for the 600/1000.

Most 600 parts are interchangeable to the 750 so there are plenty of parts.

#8 ·
A 750 does have "enough" power down low for commuting, but honestly... after having a Busa for awhile now, I enjoy being able to accelerate a good amount without having to downshift when commuting. :dunno

I'd say the 750 has enough though, but if you can spring for the extra insurance, the 1000 is a little better for the road. Again, that's just my opinion and everyone has one.

#12 ·
I love litrebikes. In traffic, the wider range of torque makes for easy commuting. When you NEED a emergency snap of power to put some distance between yourself and anything, it's easier to do.

Ergos? They're all the same size

Unusable power? I'd argue that... Then again, I bought my first litrebike 25 yrs ago after learning for years on smaller bikes. Even then, I often found myself lucky to survive the situations all that extra power got me into (until I was well-used to it).

If you're a learning rider coming from the SV, get the 600. It'll already be a whole new world of get up & go to get used to and you'll be far less likely to kill yourself as a result of false confidence.

#16 ·
They are all three good bikes and more than anyone really needs. It's about taste and fit. Go test ride, or at least sit on them. I ride a 600 everyday and I like it, a lot. I have had two bikes that were "bigger" a 750 and a 1k, and 3 600s. I still like my Gxs-r600 just fine compared to them. A 750 is really the best of both worlds. I would love to have one, and another 1k.

And if the choads at Starsbucks won't hit the mountain twisties with you then they need the tampons and make up.

#21 ·
why not a 600 change the gearing ration and lose some of the rev'ing :dunno then you still have the cheaper insurance. but i bought a gsxr 600 and it came with a toolkit glad i didn't buy an r6 :wacko my cbr600rr had a toolkit too :shifty

#23 ·
but i bought a gsxr 600 and it came with a toolkit glad i didn't buy an r6 :wacko my cbr600rr had a toolkit too :shifty
:shifty

#22 ·
I say 750 some insurance companies have one rate for sport bikes up to 750cc (750 is really a 749) so you get the lower rate, and it's going to be a monster compared to the sv. I have a buddy on an sv 1000 and I can run away from him at will even at lower speeds.

#27 ·
The best thing to do is test drive all three and see which one you like. Coming from the SV a 600 will feel worlds different before you even touch the 750 or 1k. But most importantly ride them all and get what YOU want and feel safely comfortable on. Letting people get in your head with opinions will only perplex things more for you, not help you decide.

Want proof? Originally I wanted a 750 for my next bike and was set on it. But then others told me a 750 would be "pointless" or "not much different/faster/stronger" coming from a 600. Especially if Im keeping the 600. Like you, I asked and listened. So now Im also considering a 1000 as another choice. Delima, I listend to others and now I dont know what I want. :lol

A 750 really is the best of both worlds in 1 bike. Since Im keeping the 6 though, I might get a 1000 and have the best of both worlds that way. :lol

#29 · (Edited)
Get a 600. Im in the process of turning my stroker into a full blown track bike. I cannot use all that extra power legally unless I want to end up in jail or dead
I've owned and still own two litre bikes, had four 600's, a 250, kawi 650r, and built motors on my 1000's
I say 600! After that I would say a 750 as a 2nd choice

J

#31 ·
Here's another way to look at it.
The 1k costs more to buy, insur, and run its also got about 40kg on a 750 and its only 100th of a second faster on the quarter mile then the 750 but it has loads more torque.
The 750 is only about 5kg more then the 600 it's got more torque and will stick with and even out run most older 1k bikes but it handles like a 600 for the long term the 750 is ideal more then enough for the street, track and the weekends.
But if you want a 1k I would suggest buy a 600 or 750 and get used to it as both these bikes are going to make the hair on your neck stand up till you get the hang of them and a 5min ride is not long enough to master them.
Then if you still want more go get a 1k as the power delivery on the 1k is brutal and for commuting I think the 1k is to heavy and over kill just my thoughts!
Good luck with the bike which ever one you choose

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.