Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Stalling at high speeds SRAD

3K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Armi 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 gsxr 600 with 21800 miles. This past sunday my bike died after I reached about 80 mph. The electronics did not cut off. It redline and died. Once I pulled over it started on choke and cut off around the same speed again. Could someone push me in the right direction. Carb has been cleaned :hammer

#2 ·
Float heights...but i'm usually wrong!

#4 ·
Yes.

#6 ·
Fuel pump is going weak probably. Happened to mine.

There is a test procedure in teh manual. IIRC it should pump a smooth stream of fuel and fill a two liter in one minute? I forget the exact specs but it is in the manual. If it is a pulsing stream even if it gets close to the right amount I would replace the pump and it will likely fix it.

#7 ·
Y tube from carbs to air box?

#10 ·
Nope.

The pump is pumping, but not sufficiently. So at high RPM high fuel usage the bike outruns the fuel supply and stalls.

Turn it off, cycle the key which cycles the pump, and it starts back up. ;)

#12 ·
Impossible to say.

My first step would be to follow the manuals recommendation for checking fuel pump. Then I would check float levels (but those dont usually suddenly change). It sounds fuel related IMO.

#18 ·
I have the same bike. Mine did similar...and around the same speed. If the spring is weak, the vibrations/bumps make the plunger in the switch lose contact, shutting it down (not electronics, but the engine itself)

Put a ziptie around the sidestand switch (holding it in making full contact) and take it for a spin afterwards and see if it continues. If not..that was probly the issue. If it DOES continue, follow suit with what the others in here tell u to check

#22 ·
Have you been joining that lovely lady in Kansas Chris :shifty :lmao

#29 ·
Just cos' my confidence has been knocked, doesn't mean i'm scared!

Errr amounts to the same thing really, doesn't it :lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.