Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Heavy?

2K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Joe Borsberry 
#1 ·
01 gixxer and it's a 600 as far as I know. But here's my question are they heavier than other bikes. I've been on other riders. Yams, kawi's, Hondas all diff ccs 1k or less and mine always feels notably heavier. To the point other bikes feel scary light to me. I won't even try to pop a wheelie cuz I swear I'll loop lol

Has anyone noticed this too?

#6 ·
If you took that as a joke, remember, alot of truth is said in jest.:twitch
So I dont know what to think. If it was a joke then it was pretty funny, good early morning laugh, thanx. But.... if you're serious, then on what basis?

And please be aware you're saying that this bike I've had over two years and eventually a new set of professionally installed pilot power 2's has essentially never had perfect tire pressure regardless of temp and season and of all the other 14 or so bikes of varying makes models and years that I've compared feel lighter because they have perfect tire pressure.

I've had about 10 other riders compare their bike to mine and agree it felt heavier so it's not in my head either.

I'm really not trying to be a dick either, no matter how any of that came out. I just wanted to lay out why I can't buy your explanation, and ask why you subscribe to it, if it's not in jest.

#9 ·
So I dont know what to think. If it was a joke then it was pretty funny, good early morning laugh, thanx. But.... if you're serious, then on what basis?

And please be aware you're saying that this bike I've had over two years and eventually a new set of professionally installed pilot power 2's has essentially never had perfect tire pressure regardless of temp and season and of all the other 14 or so bikes of varying makes models and years that I've compared feel lighter because they have perfect tire pressure.

I've had about 10 other riders compare their bike to mine and agree it felt heavier so it's not in my head either.

I'm really not trying to be a dick either, no matter how any of that came out. I just wanted to lay out why I can't buy your explanation, and ask why you subscribe to it, if it's not in jest.
Man you are right I am an idiot, most of my experience is based on 50cc scooters and pedal bikes, my bad. I should be listening to you and your 10 boys. I understand now your vast knowledge...sorry I even posted, I am hoping you will forgive me.

#3 ·
Oh man...

#8 ·
Tire pressures are fine. And no, no lead paint, I had it stripped and repainted with lightweight racing paint. Made sure to add a couple stickers too, for extra hp.

I'm just taking a poll. Trying to figure out if this is normal for my year bike or if there's something "special"

#11 ·
Often when someone says the bike feels heavy to turn, it is their tire pressure (on street).

I can tell within SECONDS of throwing a leg over a bike if the pressure is low. I saw it all the time in my shop.

With that said, the answer to your question is no. The bike is not significantly heavier than any other bike made around the same time as it. And not really much if any than current bikes, although their mass is better oriented.

If your bike feels significantly heavier, is it lowered? Stretched? When is the last time the steering bearings have been checked? Tire pressures? Do you check them every time you ride?

#12 · (Edited)
Well I do know the steering bearings are due for replacement. But when I say feels heavy I don't mean in turns or anything. I mean just sitting on it and straddling it and let her lean left or right while parked or trying to find her middle balance point there's a significant difference. Really I have no complaints about the bike, I just found this really curious. No stretch or lowering done either, I just don't believe in that lol.

When I took plastics off for new paint I found it had been repainted before, has an aftermarket undertail. That and a couple other clues lead me to believe bike may have been dumped before. I was thinking maybe a bigger engine swap had been to it or something I wasn't aware of that would explain the weight difference but it seemed a lil far fetched. Could old, worn suspension account for this? I just don't know

Appreciate the straight answer btw, thanks

#13 ·
Loose suspension can make the bike feel heavier to move too, yes.

What bikes are you comparing to?

#14 ·
Pretty much any Japanese sportbike. There was even an 07 or 08 r1 that stuck put in my mind because it was the first liter bike I compared it to and difference was astounding but I think I had just chalked it up to better design balance due to being a much later year. Any other bikes really close in year range have been 600s or 750s. The guy I ride with most has an 04ish zx6r feels so much lighter. He is always talking about it, because he's so amazed

#15 ·
It is hard to answer these questions without checking the bike out. Id say if the tire pressure is OK, then it is your suspension. How does your bike feel when you sit on it? does it feel a bit bouncy/soft?
Have you checked your sag, rebound, pre-load and adjusted them to your weight?

#21 ·
That should be fine, but how often do you actually check it? Motorcycle tire pressures by volume are so small that they often change by 5 psi or more from one day to the next. Especially this time of the year when weather is changing rapidly. They also tend to gradually loose pressure.

#22 ·
Or we could all just be full of it, and your bike is the heaviest one on the planet. Someone did the lead filler mod on it :lmao.

Your bike was one of the best bikes on the planet... when it was new. Either something is mechanically wrong as we have suggested, or you are imagining things.

#26 ·
well i dont think anyone is full of it, including myself. It HAS to be something. At this point i'm inclined to think its suspension related. to be honest i don't really check tire pressure all that much. maybe every couple of months

@speeder T:
theres a guage somewhere in my car but yea i use the gas station ticker. each one is worth 2 points it think. it was always good enough on my car and seemed to give consistent readings. i usually run to 38psi knowing i'm not going to check it for awhile and if it should drop i'll still be in factory spec or close.

#27 ·
Then your tire pressures are almost guaranteed to be FAR lower than you think they are.

id bet your pressure is closer to 30psi or less.

#28 ·
Soooo, am I cool again OP?(not that I give a f*ck) I raced 3 seasons on a 01 750, and to date it was one of my all time favorite bikes. As you can see now I was trying to help you, not insult you by bringing up your tire pressure and telling you, no, your bike is not extra heavy. No reason for the butthurt.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.