Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

'04 1000... DIY Fork Seals?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  RustBoxBrad 
#1 ·
Alright, I noticed one of my forks is leaking the other day. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have installed seals in several sets of conventional forks, but never a USD set. I don't want to have to buy any special tools or anything. You guys think I should try to tackle this or farm it out? I have a good shock rebuilder here in town, but funds are slim... the joys of being in college and broke.

#2 ·
If you get right down to it the only real special tools you need to change seals is a fork spring compressor and a holder plate. You can make both of them if you wish. There's thread on here or google detailing how.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info man. It looks like I got my answer today. I was talking to the guy who's painting my wheels and he put me in touch with a Suzuki race tech who's gonna get everything done for $150. I feel for that price it isn't worth the hassle.

#6 ·
Yeah, I'd like to have powder coated them, but a painter friend of mine is doing a nice basecoat/clearcoat paint job for a really reasonable price.

its not hard but make sure you bleed all the air out before you put the back together.
traxxiondynamics sells a tool kit for like 150 that has everything you need. you will need more than a spring compressor, and locknut plate. you will need the oil level tool, you will need the cartridge holder tool as well. a fork seal driver is a good idea. it is the only thing not included with that kit
Thanks for the info man. I don't think I'll be doing enough fork seals to justify buying that kit though.

#5 ·
its not hard but make sure you bleed all the air out before you put the back together.
traxxiondynamics sells a tool kit for like 150 that has everything you need. you will need more than a spring compressor, and locknut plate. you will need the oil level tool, you will need the cartridge holder tool as well. a fork seal driver is a good idea. it is the only thing not included with that kit

#7 ·
I have done a dozen of these things and ya dont need any fancy tools, the fork springs dont have to be removed, remove the whole assembly as 1 unit, allen wrench to remove the bolt at the bottom of the fork leg and the assembly comes apart/out...
easy job

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.