Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Remember this true Classic machine ?

3K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  GSXR7ED 
#1 ·
How many of you guys recall this beauty or have ridden it?

The 1983 Suzuki Katana 1100. I never had the chance to ride this true classic superbike but man, this was the bike to have back then. Loved it then and now :punk

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Really, I had a 1981 CB Super Sport 750. About two years ago, I bought the stock CB from an older gentleman up in Westchester County who had it sitting in his garage. It was in working condition so purchased it, spruced it up with a few mods i.e. jetting carbs, K & N filters, exhaust etc

Sounded incredible awesome then yes, I sold it to a collector. Crap I should have kept it but then again I made a nice profit :cheers

A friend of mine has one,picked it up from an older lady whose husband passed away about 17yrs ago. I wanted to buy it but he beat me to it..she also had a mint '82 GS-1100E which I bought and still have.:biggrin
I rode the Katana quite a bit but prefer the seat/riding position of my GS much better

She had a bunch of '80s superbikes one of which was an original low mileage 82 Kawasaki KZ 1100 Eddie Lawson Replica
Oh man, I sure did love that GS -1100 ! Now that I rode and it was fast as hell with plenty of power.

One of my favorite bikes of all time was/is the:

1978 Kawasaki Z1R

If I had extra money laying around that would be my idea bike :punk

Attachments

#4 ·
A good racing buddy had one. I rode it quite a few times. Great bike for it's time. That look was so far ahead of it's time it wasn't funny.

#5 ·
A friend of mine had 1 . I got to ride it . Very fast .

#6 ·
A friend of mine has one,picked it up from an older lady whose husband passed away about 17yrs ago. I wanted to buy it but he beat me to it..she also had a mint '82 GS-1100E which I bought and still have.:biggrin
I rode the Katana quite a bit but prefer the seat/riding position of my GS much better

She had a bunch of '80s superbikes one of which was an original low mileage 82 Kawasaki KZ 1100 Eddie Lawson Replica

#8 ·
Here is my 82

Attachments

#17 ·
I remember the original Z900-Z1000 had a kick starter as well as electric...imagine that!

#20 ·
I remember when the electric starters came out. There was always a big worry about what would happen if you had a dead battery & there was no kickstarter. OH NOOOES!!! :frantic People were pissed & worried when the kickers started to dissapear. :lol Seems so stupid now.

#24 ·
To this day, I have a bonafide phobia of kickstarting a (big-bore 4 stroke) bike

In the 80s, my buddy lent me his dirtbike, a TT500 thumper. He warned me the compression bypasser thingy was disabled so you had to be careful. I was like yeah yeah whatever.

Everything was fine until at one point, it spit me over the bike and near broke my ankle. I limped home pushing the bike and would never start it again.

#40 ·
Now THAT MY FRIEND IS A TRUE BEAUTIFUL BEAST INDEED !!! OMG amazing dude. And, in pristine condition too.

I thought that bike was ugly when it came out. I loved the Kawi Z1R and Honda CB750f at the time. The Suzuki just looked strange.

The pics you posted of said bikes are sweet!!!

Back around 1982 or so my step dad had a Kawi Z1R TC2. It was the black one with the yellow/red/orange stripes. F-ing thing had the huge turbo charger hanging off it!!! Looked and sounded badass!!! He was a terrible drunk.....he got liquored up and ran into the back of a car one night.:banghead What a waste of a beautiful bike.

Thanks man, yeah I also recall seeing those Turbo Z1R's too. They were def unique.

Correct me if my wrong in CA don't you still those Kawa Z1R's still around also in Australia and prob in the Mid-West as well.

On Ebay I've seen Z1R but for sale in CA. Seems like there is a real market out there for em.

#39 ·
I thought that bike was ugly when it came out. I loved the Kawi Z1R and Honda CB750f at the time. The Suzuki just looked strange.

The pics you posted of said bikes are sweet!!!

Back around 1982 or so my step dad had a Kawi Z1R TC2. It was the black one with the yellow/red/orange stripes. F-ing thing had the huge turbo charger hanging off it!!! Looked and sounded badass!!! He was a terrible drunk.....he got liquored up and ran into the back of a car one night.:banghead What a waste of a beautiful bike.

#43 ·
Some gorgeous bikes on this thread, I can add to it now...I bought a 1982 RD350LC last month, currently being restored and having a full strip down.

Handily, lots of new old stock bits are still available for them, having said that, some bits just are not available for love nor money...new exhausts fetch £1000+..

Some pics

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.