Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

gsxr 1k drag build

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  dylanjacobus 
#1 ·
so from what i hear, 01-02 bottom end with a 05-06 top end. so a few questions......

1-do u take a 05 1k and swap the bottom end into that, or do you get a 01-02 1k and throw the 05 head on it.

2- can you put the 05 head on and still use the 01 -02 throttle bodies, electronics, etc? this seems to be the cheaper route if so.

goal is 8" over arm, lighter/newer wheels, cam swap, street tire. thinking it should reliably run 9.20s all day on pump gas.

thoughts, opinions?

#3 ·
Id go with the 07/08 top end&electronics and then tune with ECU editor. Makes things THAT much better

#4 ·
Thanks

Just to get alil deeper into it, the main reason for doing this is bcuz the newer head flows better, and (i think) has 8injectors instead of four like the 01-02 gsxr 1k. Could I get pretty close to the same gains by porting the 01-02 head?

#6 ·
for this project, nope-hence the questions. i have a swingarm, cams, and a 01 head, bcuz i was going to do this to my 750. but i figured i should start with a 1000 and make it easier on myself, and not worry about blowing up my streetbike, and i can still hit the canyons.

from my searching, the 01-02 1k is MUCH cheaper than the 05+. however i did find a wrecked(plastics) 06 for 3500, gonna go check it out.

if i can port the head and get almost the same performance gains as swapping the head, then i'd do that, bcuz thatd be cheaper. im not trying to rotate the earth, i just wana run 9.20s consistently without a pro rider, without spraying it, and preferably without bumping it up to a 1070.

i assumed with a good head(hence the swap question), 750 valve springs, cam swap, along with some good gearing and a good map, sitting at 65" on the lighter 06+ wheels, itll run 9.20s easily. i weigh 155 in street clothes.

am i way off point or what?

#9 ·
01 gsxr 1000, came with a full akrapovic, k&n, pciiir, and a shitload of parts-got it for a great price- soon as I unload the majority of the parts, Ill post up a build thread and get it going

I decided to not do the top swap and just rework the 01 head tho

#11 ·
^^ lol

I took the suggestions to mind, and asked a follow up question, which i didn't get an answer to here in this thread.

When I got the answer, the suggestions here, while great in general, weren't cost effective for my particular situation. So yea, it does sound about right, smartass :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.