Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

How to remove stripped bolt

5K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  JimmySix 
#1 ·
One of the bolts on my wind screen is rounded out on top it's the windscreen bolt that goes through the part connected to the gauge cluster too

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
take a picture of said bolt.... and they are made of plastic right??.... heat up a philips screw driver until hot enough to partially melt the top of said screw. then carefully press the screw driver into top of bolt to make philips pattern.... wait for plastic to cool off and remove the screw. replace said screw with new one.... try it out... just thought of this but I'm a bit inebriated.... lol good luck :cheers

#8 ·
You sure thats a metal screw?

Looks like the standars ones, they are plastic...

If its not, you will have to use a drill bit and drill the head off or use easy outs. If you drill, you have to be super carefull not to touch the fairing...

#9 ·
#19 · (Edited)
I'm sharing my experience..

tool that I bought for this job..

stripped head... (actually this is my moped..)

you need to drill it first.. but I forgot to take a picture.. well I couldn't..

anyway I pulled that out.

tiny bolt with broken head... it was really tiny one...

made a hole with drill... I couldn't take a picture cuz both of my hands was busy drilling..

rotating counter-clock wise..

it came out...

personally, I really hate this job.. it's really PITA..

So I learnt a lesson that I always should be really careful with bolts..

hope this will be resourceful to somebody..

#21 ·

stripped head... (actually this is my moped..)
personally, I really hate this job.. it's really PITA..

So I learnt a lesson that I always should be really careful with bolts..

hope this will be resourceful to somebody..
Not to second guess you too much, but that screw looks like it could have been removed without drilling. If the stub came out that easy (with an extractor) then it was just tight.

I have had success with the following method:
1) Do not screw up the head in the first place. Make sure you have a bit that firmly engages the screw head. Worn out and poor quality screwdrivers destroy more good screws then needed. If the screw is not moving STOP. Find a better fitting screwdriver.
2) Soak the fastener with PB Blaster or similar.
3) Make sure there is no debris in the bottom of the screw head. Pick or clean it out so the bit can seat properly.
3) Buy a packet of phillip screw bits. Find one that is a snug fit and tap it into the screw with a hammer.
4) Again if the bit starts to move but not the screw STOP.
5) If you can apply some heat to the part, try it followed with more PB Blaster.
6) If you can buy/borrow a hand impact wrench use it but make sure the bit is a good fit. This is the last chance.

And when all else fails drill or grind off the head :banghead

#25 ·
I have broken screws from the mirrors, hindering me from removing the nuts. The mirror is unplugged and removed but the bolts/nuts are still in place, not allowing me to install the new one. I have used vice grips to grab the stub, but didn't work. it actually made it harder to grip!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?

#26 ·
I had the same problem but vice grips worked for me. You may have to use a dremel with a small cutting wheel to cut it off. Of course cover all your plastic in that area with tape or a rag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.