How can you tell when you need to replace chain [Archive] - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

: How can you tell when you need to replace chain

rjardy
04-16-2006, 11:56 PM
As the title states, I am asking you guys for information on how to tell if your chain needs to be replaced. I have heard horror stories about people loosing links and chains busting the case. This is not a favorable condition :) thus, I need to know if I should replace my chain. I bought the bike as a salvaged bike from a yard. It is apperant that the bike was "rode hard and put up wet" for most of its life. Im talking, to the cord on the center of the rear tire and alomst new condition chicken strips.....not good. I am pretty sure that most people are going to advise me to change the chain. Are the sprockets a neccesary swap at the same time?

Best,

Rob

fightin-ry
04-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Change both as a set. I'd change them not knowing the history. Also gives you a chance to up the tooth count to make better wheelies :D

:wtf no pic???

Cheers

long_av8r
04-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Look for stiff links or places where the chain gets tight and then slackens as you rotate the wheel. This indicates a stretched area. Also look at your sprockets. If they have curved teeth, replace everything and if your chain doesn't sit all the way into the teeth on the sprocket, get rid of it. If you are in doubt - swap it out, at least then you know you are good for a while. If your sprockets are in good shape (no curved or missing teeth), you don't need to replace them with the chain.

I had a chain break on my HD and it sucked ass (tore up a new chrome chaiguard, scratched the snot out of my frame, gouged my polished rear wheel, and chewed up some of my case under the sprocket cover). I do consider myself lucky though because I didn't do any major damage to the case, it was only superficial stuff covered by the sprocket cover. I was stupid because I knew it was time to change it but decided to "wait until next month." Not a wise choice as I could have busted my ass.

rjardy
04-17-2006, 12:38 AM
:wtf no pic???

Cheers
Always happy to ablige :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/rjardy/Picture333.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/rjardy/Picture332.jpg

fightin-ry
04-17-2006, 01:32 AM
I'd change it because they haven't made clip type master links in 2-3 years, now there all rivet masters, good chains atleast. Another thing, in the pic it looks like it doesn't have o rings between the side links, is there any there??? Some of the links look stiff too.

Long_av8r got off lucky, worse case can be locking up the rear wheel and going down or having the chain bunch up in the sprocket cover and put a hole in your cases.

It's up to you, it could last a season or a week.

Cheers

86gixxxer
04-17-2006, 01:41 AM
you need a new chain. yours is rusted. most probably from being left outside.

if you really want to save cash (and who doesn't) you can get by with those sprockets since they do not appear worn out.

rjardy
04-17-2006, 02:17 AM
I may as well spend the cash, especially here. Fairly critical area. Thanks for the input guys. The sprocket is 6 bolt from a 91. Whats a fatory setup teeth wise? I know someone told me here, but I am having troubles finding the post.

Rob

04-17-2006, 08:39 AM
IMHO, I'd change the sprockets too. If the chain is worn, it will eat into the sprockets. If the sprockets are worn, it will kill a new chain quickly. Troy341

njsgsxr750
04-17-2006, 08:42 AM
I still use the Clip master links. I buy RK and EK chains all the time that still have the clip master links.

will90Eclipse
04-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Thats one rusty front sprocket. I would buy a whole new set it will save you in the long run:)

Valhalla
04-17-2006, 09:17 AM
I still use the Clip master links. I buy RK and EK chains all the time that still have the clip master links.

+1 just ordered a 520 conversion that uses a clip type master. it comes with an RK X-ring chain

wolph69
04-17-2006, 09:50 AM
my opinion is to change out the front and rear sprockets as well as the chain. strange how only the inside of the chain rusted... which is bad. you can usually tell if you need a new chain by looking at the teeth on the sprockets as previously mentioned, and also by pulling on the chain from the middle of the back sprocket. pull it out towards the back of the bike. if the chain comes out from the teeht of the sprocket then your chain is worn and you need to replace it. simple and easy test.

YoshTech
04-17-2006, 10:10 AM
From the picture of the chain and its condition I would replace that as a set with sprockets .....no brainer!

First to answer the question of how do you know when to to replace it is this:

The factory has a specification to replace when you take a measurement of the chain after X amount of links:

EX: 9 links = 7.1 inches

This means that when you measure 9 links and it extends past the specified amount then it is time to replace the chain. Always replace the sprockets when you replace the chain.

A method that most people use that is a good indicator as well is when you get behind the bike and if you pull the chain from the rear sprocket ( in the middle where the chain rides on the sprocket ) then it is time to replace as well.

One ways is the "factory specified" and the other works as well.....Hope this helps

:punk

rjardy
04-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Okay, the rust... its surface rust from the bike sitting outside int he rain, with no lube on the chain. It has not got to the point where is is pitting the material. THats why I asked. I didnt think it was a "no brainer" If I did.. I would not have asked. The outside of the links are in good shape with a lube still on them. I looked at the sprocket and there does not seem to be any movement of the material. I will try some of the tests stated above. Im sure it will end up being replaced. Thanks again.

Rob

rjardy
04-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Can someone tell me what the factory tooth count is? Or possibly where to find it?

Best,

Rob

rjardy
04-19-2006, 12:59 AM
Ok, so since it was not raining today, I went out and poked around on the bike for a bit. I pulled the chain from the rearmost part of the sprocke and it came up about 1/16th of an inch.....so replacement is a must!