2nd gear wheelies [Archive] - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

: 2nd gear wheelies

Skyhighsami
04-11-2006, 05:04 PM
I have heard that these bikes are really easy to bring up in second. I can not seem to do it and carry it very far. I do have the suspension set up for more track settings so I am sure that it is stiffer than delievered but what technic is widely used to get the 1000 up in 2nd. The bike is all stock and I am thinking about this week ordering a -1 front sprocket. Not just for wheelies just to have more grunt coming out of the corners.

fatlip
04-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Get to about 5k and clutch it up.

Skyhighsami
04-11-2006, 05:14 PM
I tried clutching maybe I didn't do it right but it sounded really violent to me like it was causing alot of damage. I might have been doing it wrong, how would you suggest doing it? When you clutch it up how smooth does it come up?

Anthony D
04-11-2006, 05:16 PM
i would start with just rolling on the throttle with about 5 grand on the tach. it will come up.

once you get comfortable with that, you will know at what rpm it will get to the balance point. once you know that, you can begin clutching it up.

edit: don't forget to cover the rear brake in case you start to go too far...

98srad750
04-11-2006, 05:17 PM
give it a little bounce

jdub0204
04-11-2006, 06:04 PM
bounce it by being around 5k rpm in second gear wack the throttle and make the weight shift to the rear of the bike, then let off of the throttle quikly and compress the front forks, then wack it again and it should come up rather easily, play like that for a while and then u can start practicing clutching the bike up, while in second. On my bike I can just wack the throttle in second gear at about 6-7k rpms and it comes up usually, the only drawback is the fact that u will be running around 70-80 mph. Lower your rear tire pressure to about 25psi this will help u balance the bike better.

jdub0204
04-11-2006, 06:09 PM
I have found that clutching the bike up in second is alot smother and you can be running slower mph. Just be running about 45mph or so pull in the clutch tach it up to about 7-8k and dump the clutch, I usually don't get any weird sounds when I do this so I don't know what u are hearing. It can be a little intimidating at first so it takes alot of practice, and remember if you set the bike down hard you will run the risk of popping a front fork seal.

JohnyCakes
04-11-2006, 06:14 PM
This isnt the stunt forum you damn squids!!!! Go and break the law somewhere else you damn delinquents!!

:squid

j/k :D

.:1k:.
04-11-2006, 06:27 PM
This isnt the stunt forum you damn squids!!!! Go and break the law somewhere else you damn delinquents!!

HAHAHAHAH beat me to the punch!:nono

You shouldnt have to clutch 2nd gear, are you sitting/leaning back?

pinoy_what_da
04-11-2006, 09:06 PM
HAHAHAHAH beat me to the punch!:nono

You shouldnt have to clutch 2nd gear, are you sitting/leaning back?

If you dont no how to clutch wheelie your gixxer in 2nd gear then dont even try. That front wheel will come up on you so fast, next thing you know, your on your ass wishing you never tried. Its obvious that you need to learn more throttle control before you go clutching that wheel up.

MichaelGsxr
04-11-2006, 09:09 PM
just crack it open at 7000 rpm and keep it open, it takes a second for it to come up... or bounce it a little by rolling on and off the throttle, then cracking it open. she will come straight up no worries mate

pinoy_what_da
04-11-2006, 09:09 PM
I have found that clutching the bike up is alot smother and you can be running slower mph. Just be running about 45mph or so pull in the clutch tach it up to about 7-8k and dump the clutch, I usually don't get any weird sounds when I do this so I don't know what u are hearing. It can be a little intimidating at first so it takes alot of practice, and remember if you set the bike down hard you will run the risk of popping a front fork seal.

I dare you to do that on 1st gear??!?!?! :lol

SLOk6
04-11-2006, 09:34 PM
I have found that clutching the bike up is alot smother and you can be running slower mph. Just be running about 45mph or so pull in the clutch tach it up to about 7-8k and dump the clutch, I usually don't get any weird sounds when I do this so I don't know what u are hearing. It can be a little intimidating at first so it takes alot of practice, and remember if you set the bike down hard you will run the risk of popping a front fork seal.

just how "hard" is "hard" when you're talking about bringing the bike down and popping fork seals?

The reason I ask is because my bike is having a fork seal replaced right now and suzuki is telling me that they're only going to warranty this one time and suggest that i stop riding wheelies. The only problem is that I've never rode any big wheelies. I mean, its impossible to ride this bike and not bring the front up when you're on it hard, but is coming down from small power wheelies enough to break a fork seal?

mikeinnc
04-11-2006, 10:18 PM
From what I hear suzuki can be a bully... Damn yakazumi

jdub0204
04-11-2006, 11:58 PM
I dare you to do that on 1st gear??!?!?! :lol

I ride wheelies all of the time in first gear, what are u scared of first gear?

jdub0204
04-12-2006, 12:01 AM
just how "hard" is "hard" when you're talking about bringing the bike down and popping fork seals?

The reason I ask is because my bike is having a fork seal replaced right now and suzuki is telling me that they're only going to warranty this one time and suggest that i stop riding wheelies. The only problem is that I've never rode any big wheelies. I mean, its impossible to ride this bike and not bring the front up when you're on it hard, but is coming down from small power wheelies enough to break a fork seal?

Hard means getting scared when the bike come up really high and just completely letting of of the throttle and letting the front slam down. Normal small power wheelies shouldn't damage a fork seal.

jdub0204
04-12-2006, 12:06 AM

Hey I got a great idea, lets slap a moderator label on your arse and let u go around patroling each thread for squids. And FYI I am not a sqiuid, wheelies are not my thing.

04-12-2006, 01:13 AM
Hey I got a great idea, lets slap a moderator label on your ass and let u go around patroling each thread for squids. And FYI I am not a sqiuid, wheelies are not my thing.

No need to be a thug. He was kidding.

pinoy_what_da
04-12-2006, 01:14 AM
I have no problem at all clutching 1st and riding it through. i just dont think its necessary to bring the rpms that high (7k-8k) when using the clutch method for 1st gear. When i said " i dare you to do that on 1st gear" thats going towards people trying to nail the clutch method that have never nailed it before. The person asking about clutching up second gear from what i can tell has never got his front in the air at a decent hight on his preview bike and kept it up in the air. Now why would you even try clutching up a new gixxer 1000? Its a no brainer, you dont learn how to clutch your wheel up on 1000cc bike, thats just nuts and your asking for trouble. Majority of riders on this forum replying to your post giving you advice on how to bring that bitch up w/ the clutch have learned on a smaller bike. yeah your going to learn how to clutch wheelie your bike by reading and all these great advise from riders. It only takes a second or less for that front wheel to come up to balance point, i just hope your brain is ready to execute what you have read within that second.

04-12-2006, 01:23 AM
I have no problem at all clutching 1st and riding it through. i just dont think its necessary to bring the rpms that high (7k-8k) when using the clutch method for 1st gear. When i said " i dare you to do that on 1st gear" thats going towards people trying to nail the clutch method that have never nailed it before. The person asking about clutching up second gear from what i can tell has never got his front in the air at a decent hight on his preview bike and kept it up in the air. Now why would you even try clutching up a new gixxer 1000? Its a no brainer, you dont learn how to clutch your wheel up on 1000cc bike, thats just nuts and your asking for trouble. Majority of riders on this forum replying to your post giving you advice on how to bring that bitch up w/ the clutch have learned on a smaller bike. yeah your going to learn how to clutch wheelie your bike by reading and all these great advise from riders. It only takes a second or less for that front wheel to come up to balance point, i just hope your brain is ready to execute what you have read within that second.

+1

But you dont need to clutch to bring up a 1k, in 3rd and 4th yes.

jdub0204
04-12-2006, 01:27 AM

I never clutch up first, there is no need too, I wasn't talking about clutching up in 1st. I second u on learning wheelies on a liter bike, it is much more dangerous than on a smaller bike because it will loop you in a heart beat. My true advice if you want to learn wheelies is practice, practice, practice and be ready for a fall because evetually it will happen.

jdub0204
04-12-2006, 01:30 AM
No need to be a thug. He was kidding.

I was just kidding myself, next time I should say arse because it sounds a little less thug like.:cheers I am not really into stunting but I can do pretty decent wheelie.

fatlip
04-12-2006, 07:29 AM
To each his own. Who cares how its done. As long as its smooth and controlled.

closetotheedge
04-12-2006, 08:54 AM
I had a 12000K service done on mine 2 weeks ago.
Changed the plugs, cleaned the air filter, and just a general service.
I`m 70kg`s, completly stock bike except for SET being diabled and using the stock exhaust.
rolled on hard in 2nd last weekend and tugged on the bars and I went very, very close to looping it. I was not expecting it to come up so fast because it wasn`t like that prior to the service. If I had have chopped the throttle to bring it up on that occasion it would have been all over.
Tried the same thing in 3rd and it was lifting, not to BP but lifting.
If I chop the throttle in 3rd I can get to BP.

radiochan
04-12-2006, 12:48 PM
you guys should try doing this stuff in wyoming...doesnt work...i've found that if you stiffen up your rear suspension it comes up easier...but it could just be my imagination.

dudeongsxr1k
04-27-2006, 11:56 PM
grow some balls and bring the front end up higher so you dont have to chase it as much as run out of rpms

dudeongsxr1k
04-28-2006, 12:08 AM
well i dont know if we can read well nowadays since education in america has gone DOWN , they might not teach you to read in schools anymore if i remember correctly the name of this forum is stunts and tricks its not our fault you cant wheelie.

Focer
04-28-2006, 02:11 PM
well i dont know if we can read well nowadays since education in america has gone DOWN , they might not teach you to read in schools anymore if i remember correctly the name of this forum is stunts and tricks its not our fault you cant wheelie.

wow, that was very imformitive. great post!

btw in "america" we use periods to make sentences....stfu:flipoff

GSX-R 71
04-30-2006, 07:38 PM
I thought I'd post this hear since it has to do with 2nd gear wheelies. I have a 750 BTW. In first, it's a no brainer the wheel comes up pretty easy. My one buddy rides an R6 and he wheelies pretty well (i think).

We were out today and we started talking about wheelies. He says he clutches em in second. I ask him how and that'd I'd like to learn. He said try and clutch it at around 7k in second. I tried and nothing happened except it felt like I was going to break my bike. It did get a little light in the front though. It sounded as if my chain or something was going to snap.

I think my technique I'm using isn't right, and yes it's my first time trying to clutch it up. Anyways I gave up after 3 or 4 trys. It sounded like I was beating the crap outta the bike so I stopped. The next stop sign we came to, as we left I nailed it in first and she lifted and went for a few feet. I think I need to get the 1st gear down a little better before attempting anything else. Just thought I'd share my little experience.

danger_dave
05-01-2006, 05:38 AM
god i love the feeling of balls on my chin

what ?

suzukited1
05-01-2006, 05:45 AM
my 1000 will pick it up in 4th. if you can not get it up in 2nd i don't know what to say mine is an 03 and the only problem i have when i get on it is keeping the front wheel down in the first 3 gears.

OddJob_585
05-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Bro all the bigger bikes will come up real easy in second hell even 3rd for that matter. My F4i clutches up in 2nd pretty damn easy.

powerin up is alright my advice is to learn to clutch it still tho, it seems violent at first but you get used to it.

CourtJester
05-08-2006, 12:45 PM
but the true power is in the yamahas that will pull it up in forth with no clutch needed.
you gixxer guys is so funny.

WaynesNside
05-13-2006, 06:02 PM
A lot of people talk about popping the clutch at what ever rpm ok that's cool and all, but Don't you have to let the rpms raise up high to get a good lift off the ground??

I used to slip the clutch so fast it would only rise about 1500rpms or so and I don't think that's enough to get the wheel off the ground. Like the other guy said the bike just seemed to go faster.

Now I suck at clutching 2nd but tryin to learn.

I have been having the best launches slippin the clutch and letting the rpms rise a good amount before I let the clutch out.

If you ever listend to guys on 600s pop 2nd they rev the piss out of them. At least those with stock gearing.

A lot of guys that are good don't mention that, but they are so used to it they don't look down to see either.

I have been trying to slip the clutch and let it out like a half a second later and my rpms aren't enough.

I'f I'm wrong tell me I'm wrong so I can go back to the drawing board but I have been doing better now than I have been throwin them up. Still have a way to go.

Skyhighsami
05-13-2006, 06:54 PM
I actually got my bike up in second weekend before last and I had to snatch like hell to get it up and it didn't lift very high. I should mention that my suspension is set up for riding corners and after we did that wheelies have been harder to do. I am not comfortable clutching it up, I think what I am going to do is go +2 on the rear or -1 on the front. The only thing is I now know what to expect when I hammer it. When I got WOT in second I get no wheelie only in first.

doomass1
05-14-2006, 12:19 AM
pulling my 05 600 aint shit.
push your ass back in the seat
when you go to crack the throttle bend your wrist up to grab more throttle ,slip the clutch and wack the hell out of the gas. . That bitch will come up all the way to BP!

WaynesNside
05-15-2006, 03:38 PM
pulling my 05 600 aint shit.
push your ass back in the seat
when you go to crack the throttle bend your wrist up to grab more throttle ,slip the clutch and wack the hell out of the gas. . That bitch will come up all the way to BP!

When you go that your rpms have to be at like 10grand or so right?? I mean up there pretty good. I know most of us starting, don't rev them up that high thinking that it will come up and that's where were missing it. :confused I think we slip and gas real fast, and out timing isn't right and not enough gas.

I'm just tryin to get more technical to help out.

I want to get this down too.

doomass1
05-15-2006, 03:58 PM
I dont even think the rpm is all that important.Its how you grab the throttle(Like on the movie Karate kID when hes doing the crane.):lolAnd barely pull the cluch in then slam the gas and that bitch will come up.Stock gearing too.

WaynesNside
05-16-2006, 10:56 AM
I dont even think the rpm is all that important.Its how you grab the throttle(Like on the movie Karate kID when hes doing the crane.):lolAnd barely pull the cluch in then slam the gas and that bitch will come up.Stock gearing too.

So it's more so timing? When the clutch engages and you gas it at the right time.

doomass1
05-16-2006, 03:20 PM
So it's more so timing? When the clutch engages and you gas it at the right time.
Exactly all in a split second.