Disconnect my battery, lose my Map? [Archive] - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

: Disconnect my battery, lose my Map?

gimpsta
11-02-2004, 02:22 PM
So do I lose my map if I disconnect the battery? Its a regular PCIII. When I turn the bike to the "ON" position without starting it, the green light goes up and down then sits at the bottom of the lean spectrum. I don't think that is right either? Any help?

GrandAmEmt
11-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Yes, the green light cycles when you turn it to the on position and the fuel system primes, because the fuel system goes to full rich for a moment. once you start the bike, look at it, you should see it at idle on the bottom, rev it and it should more a bit.

Now I dont know the life of the EEPROM, just make sure you hook it up to your PC, and save it on a non-volitle data source (disk), then in the sprring, let us know if you loose it.
No, you wont loose it over about 20 minutes, i can attest to that fact myself....

Jon no h
11-03-2004, 03:16 AM
When your bike is in the on position, the green light will sit at the bottom. Twist the throttle open and close and the green light should go up and down respectively.

sportbike solutions
11-03-2004, 11:53 AM
what they said... it does a self-check first, then sits at the bottom. When you start adjusting via the buttons (holding them down for a moment), then the lights will indicate where the current settings are... dead center unless you've made previous changes via the buttons.

Note that by richening or leaning the mixture via the buttons, the map itself does not change. Likewise, the map settings are not reflected in the indicator lights.

And no - you don't loose your settings when the battery is disconnected - or at least you shouldn't.

gimpsta
11-03-2004, 12:49 PM
then how does it hold the map?

Or explain the difference in something called the cube?

But I know you can adjust the settings of your bike's powercommander manually and with uploading a map from your computer. That I already did. But it seems like it would suck if you switched batteries and paid $200 for a custom map to be made only to lose it with the disconnect of one wire. I'm just kind of paranoid is all I guess. Maybe I should just call Dynojet to get the real scoop from the technical guys??? http://www.gixxer.com/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GrandAmEmt
11-03-2004, 02:26 PM
the cube is a product by Yoshimura (i think) it moniters fuel.air ratio and logs it, along with other data

gimpsta
11-03-2004, 02:43 PM
ya I'm not sure, but I think its pretty expensive. I'm probably totally wrong but instead info coming from the computer to the PC to the computer again, it just recalibrates the computer to work a certain way from the on. I mean you can program your bike and take the cube off. You can do this over and over again on u're friends bikes. But with a power commander it needs to stay on the bike to work.

GrandAmEmt
11-03-2004, 03:14 PM
you can do your own map custimization with data acquired from the CUBE, it required modificaton to uour exaust, so doing it once on a bike isnt fery practicle

sportbike solutions
11-04-2004, 12:05 AM
gimpsta said:
then how does it hold the map?

But I know you can adjust the settings of your bike's powercommander manually and with uploading a map from your computer. That I already did. But it seems like it would suck if you switched batteries and paid $200 for a custom map to be made only to lose it with the disconnect of one wire. I'm just kind of paranoid is all I guess. Maybe I should just call Dynojet to get the real scoop from the technical guys??? http://www.gixxer.com/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh shit yeah it that would suck! http://www.gixxer.com/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I got my map created, my tuner gave me a copy on a floppy as well, which I subsequently brought home and copied again on my PC. I've got about 2 backups floating around, JUST IN CASE.

If you never got a soft version - then use the dynojet software and a usb cable and download the current map (that's a function your dynojet supports) so you can save it as a backup.

Also - by downloading the current map - you can assure yourself that it is, indeed, still there.

Like GrandAm said - I think the map is stored in an EEPROM, or maybe some type of flash memory.

Taz
11-04-2004, 10:40 AM
GrandAmEmt said:
Yes, the green light cycles when you turn it to the on position and the fuel system primes, because the fuel system goes to full rich for a moment. once you start the bike, look at it, you should see it at idle on the bottom, rev it and it should more a bit.

The green led Bar on the PC indicates Throttle position when it is in the normal operating mode. As Lean said when you are in the "Fine Adjust" mode it indicates button adjustment lean or rich.

The reason it goes full green on startup is a self test.

From the FAQs at www.powercommander.com (http://www.powercommander.com)

Q: If I disconnect my battery will the Power Commander lose it's map?
A: No, all Power Commanders utilize a nonvolatile memory (it does not require constant power to maintain it). The only way a map can be “erased” is to use a computer to load a new one in place of it.