oil level question [Archive] - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

: oil level question

Obed
05-27-2011, 01:59 PM
92 GSXR600W

Is there any reason that the oil level displayed in the window would not be accurate? Seems like a silly question, but I had to ask.

Not leaking externally, not leaking internally as far as I can tell (checked coolant), not blowing blue or white smoke (when off choke). Oil level was in the glass on its kickstand and when bike was upright. I changed the filter and drained the oil (looked good). Added 3.5 quarts 10w-40 as per manual (stamped 3000ml on case), ran for about 5 minutes. Checked oil after an hour sitting and not in glass, waited overnight, same thing. Added 0.25 quarts, waited, still not in the glass. Took it for a 10 mile spin and it never got hot or bogged or anything. Afraid to run it more; afraid to add more oil. My gut says that no matter what, the glass does not lie and to fill until I see it, but I wanted to confirm that line of thinking.

What am I missing?????

Thanks a bunch

RoamingBison
05-27-2011, 02:21 PM
You are checking the level in the sight glass with the bike upright (balanced) and not on the side-stand (I trust)?

Whitenoize
05-27-2011, 02:27 PM
The manual says to check it after the engine has warmed up ( balanced too ). EDIT :)

RoamingBison
05-27-2011, 02:40 PM
The manual says to check it after the engine has warmed up. I don`t doubt that checking cold it wouldn`t be visible.

I'm not sure I follow? Indeed, checking the oil level cold or warm (with the engine off, bike upright and level), it is quite visible (at least it is on mine).

anthonyrr
05-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Definitely visible in the sight glass, hot or cold with the bike balanced.

I would add oil until I could see it. It shouldn't take much more from what you already have put in.

RoamingBison
05-27-2011, 02:52 PM
I'll add that 'clean' oil is sometimes harder to see in the window. I've caught myself trying to add when it was already topped up!

Obed
05-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input and help.
The bike is upright and balanced, and I have checked both warm and cold.
I'll add a little bit at a time until I see it in the window.

Thanks again

wombat58
05-28-2011, 08:20 PM
You may have overfilled the engine, so before you add more oil have a mate lean the bike away from you while you look in the sight glass. As RB said, new clean oil can be difficult to see until the level drops into view.

dbenney
05-29-2011, 01:10 AM
something else to remember.... whenever you change the oil and filter you are installing a dry filter. when u start it up the first time the the filter will fill with oil. granteed these filters are small but when u only use about 3.5 qts of oil it doesnt take much for it to be low. I say have buddy lean it over to make sure its not full... if it checks out ok add away. never add by an amount, you can never get all the oil out of the system. jsut add oil while watching window and add til its full. jusst the way i do it and its never led me wrong.