: New bikes..Dealers should remove film from tires before selling the bikes

destrillt
04-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Don't you think?

Kind of rediculous they let bikes go out the door with dangerous film on tires.

When I bought a bike off the showroom floor I smoked the rear tire for a few seconds to get that shit off.. ive seen so many wrecks that happen due to the film.

example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4&feature=related

AndrewM
04-27-2009, 12:10 AM
There's no 'film' on new tires, that guy just wasn't ready for a brand new gix1000, and brand new cold tires are always extra slippery

destrillt
04-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Yes, there is a film on new tires.

Its actually a biproduct of the tire production process. I have a family member that worked at dunlop. People who say its just because your not use to the new tire isn't true, but whatever :)

Smit
04-27-2009, 02:05 AM
This thread has been done...

IMO, it shouldn't be the dealers responsibility.. anyone with half a brain knows to take it easy I rode mine from the dealer on a wet day and made it home.... People need to start taking responsibility in life for their own fuckups... Rant over

destrillt
04-27-2009, 02:17 AM
I agree for the most part, but some people purchasing bikes might not search the net for tips etc.. and wouldn't expect something like this.

I think its just a dangerous situation that doesn't get told to new buyers, it should be just as important as them getting a helmet the first day. Granted they should take it easy as its there new to the bike, but some people know the limit of their new bike, but not their new tires

anyways whatever guess people will keep wrecking those beautiful new bikes

Smit
04-27-2009, 02:24 AM
I agree the dealer should make you aware of the danger, but unless your a NooB who has never ridden a bike before in your life, you should have at least gone through a set of tyres and experienced the "New Tyre" or at least have enough knowledge to know...

I mean, I think nearly everyone interested in bikes has searched you tube and come accross a vid like this one... But hey its just one of those things... My bike made it home and thats all that matters to me!

AndrewM
04-27-2009, 02:27 AM
Yes, there is a film on new tires.

Its actually a biproduct of the tire production process. I have a family member that worked at dunlop. People who say its just because your not use to the new tire isn't true, but whatever :)

I'm curious as to this 'film' you're talking about. You've got a family member that used to work at Dunlop? I'm rackin up frequent buyer miles at Pirelli.... gone through WAYYY more brands and types of tires than I care to remember man and I've never heard or seen of any such 'film':dunno

People(newbs) will blame the tires for everything until the end of time, truth of the matter is that if you don't know enough to take it easy on brand new COLD tires, you probably shouldn't be on one of the fastest production bikes available in the first place.... that just multiplies the problem.

9/10 times when a bike is in a single-vehicle accident, it's the rider's fault and that's all there is to it. Unless your tire just blows up or gets covered in oil for whatever reason, it's not the tire's fault;)

AndrewM
04-27-2009, 02:35 AM
I agree for the most part, but some people purchasing bikes might not search the net for tips etc.. and wouldn't expect something like this.

I think its just a dangerous situation that doesn't get told to new buyers, it should be just as important as them getting a helmet the first day. Granted they should take it easy as its there new to the bike, but some people know the limit of their new bike, but not their new tires

anyways whatever guess people will keep wrecking those beautiful new bikes

If you're buying a brand new gixR1000CBRNinja whatever off the showroom floor, you should have enough experience to know to take it easy on new tires.

If you're a newb that didn't do their damn homework before jumping on one of these bikes, you get zero pity if you dump it leaving the parking lot... no it wasn't the tires fault, it was YOUR fault

When I bought this bike and every time I take it in for new tires, as well as every guy I see about to ride the bike off the lot, I ALWAYS hear from the dealership employees 'careful on those new tires'..... they remind you in every dealership I've dealt with, maybe the ones around you just suck:dunno

SVS
04-27-2009, 03:16 AM
When I bought a bike off the showroom floor I smoked the rear tire for a few seconds to get that shit off.. ive seen so many wrecks that happen due to the film.

:lol :squid

A slippery tire is MUCH more dangerous when the bike is leaned over so what good is a burnout gonna do? :lol And what about the front tire? :lol

It's been beaten to death, there is no film. There are people on here who have researched the matter, contacting tire manufacturers and all. UNLESS some dipshit at the dealership ArmorAlled the tires, there's nothing.

COLD tires, OTOH, are slippery - the guy in the vid fell on COLD tires.

i never sleep
04-27-2009, 04:12 AM
WTF??? Scrubbing in a fresh set is all part of the fun, takes 10 mins on a twisty road or 2 laps of the track. If that.

Yep, I've never seen a "film" on tyres, it's just that the tyres are smooth and need to be roughed up a little before they start gripping properly.

GixxxerJuzz
04-27-2009, 04:30 AM
The film is quite necessary as it makes it possible to see chicken strips; as the film is slowly worn off by friction between the road and tyre.

This aids in the identification of squids so that they can be avoided!

gsx650f
04-27-2009, 10:45 AM
All new tires have a minimum break in period of 50 miles.

KayJayz
04-27-2009, 11:00 AM
The film is quite necessary as it makes it possible to see chicken strips; as the film is slowly worn off by friction between the road and tyre.

This aids in the identification of squids so that they can be avoided!

LOL

I too rode my bike home in the rain, and I made it home perfectly fine.

Lil4cyl
04-27-2009, 11:06 AM
I agree the dealer should make you aware of the danger, but unless your a NooB who has never ridden a bike before in your life, you should have at least gone through a set of tyres and experienced the "New Tyre" or at least have enough knowledge to know...

I mean, I think nearly everyone interested in bikes has searched you tube and come accross a vid like this one... But hey its just one of those things... My bike made it home and thats all that matters to me!

The dealer I bought my bike from made it a point to tell me about the tires.. that I had to get them worn in for about 50-100 miles. And to take curves easy until then. They were pretty thorough in showing me all of the functions of my bike. I would actually highly recommend them to anyone near the Charlotte, NC area. Suzuki of Gastonia. :punk

TOEJAM
04-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Don't you think?

:rolleyes

:monkeyface

TOEJAM
04-27-2009, 03:53 PM

Really?

Funny because I have gotten my knee down on tires that still had the white sticker stuck to them on several occasions. :wait

Mtalicarox
04-27-2009, 03:55 PM
first 100 miles - take it easy.. then twist her up!

Moto_Joe
04-27-2009, 03:56 PM

Wow....... I guess I shouldnt be dragging my knee in less than 4 miles without warmers, and less than .5mi with them huh :wacko :lol

:rolleyes

Original poster, go to the 06/07 GSXR 600/750 area of this forum, and see the thread where I contacted all the big tire manufacturers. There is no film on anything but SOME michelins, but they are usually only on their touring tires and such.

ace22459
04-28-2009, 09:05 AM
When we did the walk-a-round on my 600 the guy from the dealership said to take it easy in the turns for about 100 miles as the manufacturers use Teflon as a mold release. Wheather it's true or not I chose to take it easy- why take a chance? I'm still breaking in the engine anyway and the tires will be fine before that happens. He also said what he does with new tires is find a nice straight UNCROWDED country road and weaves the bike back and forth for several miles to scuff up the new rubber. Alan

crzydv13
04-28-2009, 09:43 AM
He also said what he does with new tires is find a nice straight UNCROWDED country road and weaves the bike back and forth for several miles to scuff up the new rubber. Alan

You are better off finding some curves. Weaving the bike doesn't do jack shit to the sides of the tire...

TOEJAM
04-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Wow, the fail is high in this thread.

1. Go read Joe's sticky in the '06/'07 forum regarding Mold Release.
2. Most wrecks occur on new COLD tires...not from some teflon bullshit.
3. Weaving back and forth doesnt do shit to the sides of the tires and it damn sure doesnt heat the tires up.
4. There is no "100 mile break in" on new tires. I buy brand new tires at the track, wipe them down with alcohol (not because of mold release, but to remove any oils/grease on them from previous handling), put tire warmers on them and get them up to temp.....then take ONE lap (roughly 1-2miles depending on the track) and immediately go WFO, dragging knees.

gixx1000
04-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Yep, I do a warm up lap on virgin tires and go ape shit, never had a problem.

SPL170db
04-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Don't you think?

example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4&feature=related

Film? what film? I thought they were called stickers or labels? Just peel off the film if it bothers you.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll285/electrikladyland/IMG_1163.jpg?t=1240942647 (javascript:void(0);)

jermattak
04-28-2009, 02:26 PM
these threads are silly

txoutlawgsxr
04-28-2009, 02:39 PM
You should always be careful when leaving a dealership, they do us armor all on the tires to make them shine. Makes it easier to sell if the bikes have that heavenly glow. Its like some used cars places wipe down thier cars with diesel to make the paint shine.

Moto_Joe
04-28-2009, 09:03 PM
You should always be careful when leaving a dealership, they do us armor all on the tires to make them shine. Makes it easier to sell if the bikes have that heavenly glow. Its like some used cars places wipe down thier cars with diesel to make the paint shine.
\

Now THAT would be a huge liability, and any shop using tire shine on a bike should be avoided at all costs :blink

And to the guy who said his shop said to weave to scuff them up, run away from there as well.

So the guy is telling you to weave (which does NOTHING for heating up the tires.. that is an entirely different thread) on cold, new tires :blink. He just basically told you to go out and try to see how close to crashing you can get :hammer