Why does the Rectifier/ Regulator go bad? [Archive] - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

: Why does the Rectifier/ Regulator go bad?

scheme84
12-09-2008, 11:22 AM
I was out on a ride and coming to stop at a red light I squeezed the clutch and the bike just died. Pulled over, popped the fuses to find out that the 30amp blew. I had a spare, but as soon I put it in, it blew again, then borrowed a friend 30amp, blew again :wtf. Uhaled the bike home and spent the weekend with the bike and a multimeter. Figured out it was the Rectifier/Regulator that went bad, ordered another one and the bike is up and running strong.

What I want to know is what causes the Rectifier/Regulator to malfunction? There are no burnt wires or connectors and it looks exactly like the new one I ordered, so what gives?

AndrewM
12-09-2008, 11:24 AM
A few people have had them go bad. My stator and rectifier/regulator went out at 30K miles, then the rectifier again 5K later(the dealership thought it was a bad refurbished one they put in the first time)... thank goodness for extended warranties:cheers

fmvarela
04-22-2009, 11:49 AM
I was out on a ride and coming to stop at a red light I squeezed the clutch and the bike just died. Pulled over, popped the fuses to find out that the 30amp blew. I had a spare, but as soon I put it in, it blew again, then borrowed a friend 30amp, blew again :wtf. Uhaled the bike home and spent the weekend with the bike and a multimeter. Figured out it was the Rectifier/Regulator that went bad, ordered another one and the bike is up and running strong.

What I want to know is what causes the Rectifier/Regulator to malfunction? There are no burnt wires or connectors and it looks exactly like the new one I ordered, so what gives?

Exactly the same thing happened to me a few days ago. Turned out the rectifier was burnt. Still trying to get a replacement now. Like you, am also interested in knowing what could have caused the rectifier to fry. I have a fairly new bike, an 07 GSXR 750, with only 16000 KMS (not miles) on it. The only thing I did recently was to install a TRE about 1500 KMS prior.

Vort3xR6
04-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Heat. Bikes get hot and the byproduct of the RR is heat. Dissipation is done through fins on the RR but over time as heat builds up and the metal degrades, RR's go out. Notoriously on a few certain bikes.

fmvarela
04-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Heat. Bikes get hot and the byproduct of the RR is heat. Dissipation is done through fins on the RR but over time as heat builds up and the metal degrades, RR's go out. Notoriously on a few certain bikes.

Thanks. Perhaps more so for us here in the Philippines. Riding here can get very hot sometimes, particularly now that it's summer. My mechanic suggested that we install the new rectifier in a different place, not so near the exhaust headers. Is that ok?

Vort3xR6
04-22-2009, 08:45 PM
If I remember correctly ours is right behind the radiator which is an ideal spot being that wind hits it. You can try mounting it elsewhere but make sure it has sufficient air flow.

fmvarela
04-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Ok thanks! Will discuss with mechanic when replacement RR arrives. Attaching pic of burnt rectifier.

mellogsxr
04-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Crazy you ride in the Philippines! I was there for the first time in 1999. I couldn't imagine riding the streets there.

AndrewM
04-23-2009, 01:03 AM
Mine went out for the 3rd time now at 45K..... next time I'm gonna install it somewhere else I think

fmvarela
04-23-2009, 02:26 AM
Crazy you ride in the Philippines! I was there for the first time in 1999. I couldn't imagine riding the streets there.

Yes, it can be quite crazy riding here, but one gets used to it. Besides, there's nowhere else for us to ride. :biggrin

I belong to a group of sportsbike riders here. We go fast, but try to be safe by focusing on skills development. Let me know if you happen to visit and want to ride. :burnout

fmvarela
04-23-2009, 02:27 AM
Mine went out for the 3rd time now at 45K..... next time I'm gonna install it somewhere else I think

Any idea what could be a good spot?

ImStricken
04-23-2009, 08:25 AM
why not just make a custom bracket from some sheet metal to guard it from the header heat? and apply exhaust wrap on the bracket. kinda like an after market intake. you guys know what i mean?

tweezY
04-23-2009, 11:33 AM
mine went at about 17k thank god for ebay

TheCunningMan
04-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Look for pics of the Vesrah Suzuki and m4 racebikes from 06. They all mounted the rectifier on the frame rail left hand side of the engine. The only bare spot of the frame not covered by fairing. Pretty neat.

flzrider
04-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Mine went out a few months ago too. Took me a while to figure out that the R/R was bad because the diode test I performed on it several time showed nothing wrong with it. Do aftermarket ones exist?

AndrewM
04-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Any idea what could be a good spot?

why not just make a custom bracket from some sheet metal to guard it from the header heat? and apply exhaust wrap on the bracket. kinda like an after market intake. you guys know what i mean?

Look for pics of the Vesrah Suzuki and m4 racebikes from 06. They all mounted the rectifier on the frame rail left hand side of the engine. The only bare spot of the frame not covered by fairing. Pretty neat.

Both good ideas. Also I saw on the 1000's from similiar years and maybe even newer years they're mounted under the tail near the rear shock.... seems like a pretty good spot too

aldigity
04-23-2009, 06:42 PM
On my 07 600 both my Stator and RR went on me with only 1,300 miles or 8-10 trackdays on the bike (track only bike). Went through tons of 30 fuses trying to figure out what the problem was. It took the shop sometime to figure out it was the stator and RR.

The issue is heat as was stated earlier in this thread. I got a good deal used parts and installed them. I've only had the bike on the track once since. I'll see how this season goes. I'm keeping my eyes open for cheap parts to have as back up, in case this happens again. :hammer

scheme84
04-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Hmm...then how about adding a fan to the RR. I'm thinking a computer fan should work, its small, efficient, and pretty strong (definitely a weekend project).

Also can someone post pics of the Versah or M4 Suzuki with the RR mounted other than the OEM position.

rraiderr
04-23-2009, 10:29 PM
How about Suzuki re engineer the part and it's location instead of us having to do it for them.

aldigity
04-23-2009, 10:36 PM
How about Suzuki re engineer the part and it's location instead of us having to do it for them.

Brilliant!:cheers

AndrewM
04-23-2009, 10:44 PM

Mine's been covered under warranty 3 times now.... this time I asked the dealership to ask Suzuki if they'd figure out why the damn thing keeps going out.
They did and Suzuki said nope! Just keep throwing parts at it!
Oh well, next time I'll see if they'll just give me the r/r when it comes in and I'll do it myself, or else order an extra one to keep on me at all times:wacko

fmvarela
04-24-2009, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the ideas, guys!

By the way, is it true that this is a more common problem among the 600s/750s and not the 1000's? What could be a possible reason for that? Does the 1000 use a different rectifier?

If it has to do with the RR itself, then does it make sense to "experiment" with other compatible replacements? A dealer here in the Philippines offered me a cheaper OEM replacement (with 7 wires also) but they said they needed to "convert" my connections. I did not know what that meant but in any case I decided to get an original Suzuki replacement, which I had to order from the States. So, I'm still waiting now. Any experience here with non-Suzuki replacements?

TheCunningMan
04-24-2009, 01:51 PM

They did, on the 08+ it's on the side where race bikes were putting them.

fmvarela
04-28-2009, 01:53 AM
They did, on the 08+ it's on the side where race bikes were putting them.

So where exactly is the location of the RR in the 08 model? For the 07, is it possible to install the RR in this spot?

elridor
04-28-2009, 06:42 AM
So where exactly is the location of the RR in the 08 model? For the 07, is it possible to install the RR in this spot?

Yeah anyone has a picture or a link of that?

Geez I just got rid of my RSVR for those unrelyability reasons... Not again... Well the Gixxer could not be as bad...

TheCunningMan
04-28-2009, 08:29 AM
http://media.photobucket.com/image/matsushima%20gsxr/KimDN/Bikesforsale025.jpg

fmvarela
04-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks, cunningman. Looks like a good spot, although not from an aesthetic standpoint. Did you have to drill new holes to screw the RR there? Also, I suppose I have to remove the no-cut slider I installed on that side?

GSXRtim06
05-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Quick story : Riding all day on a very hot sunday on my k6 gsxr600. After a nice 20min shot down I95 (pretty high RPMs the whole way), I pull of the interstate and my bike dies completely at the first light. No lights, gauges, nothing! Tow the bike home and start pulling it apart. I tried using a jumperbox to start the bike with no success. After some searching I found that my main 30amp fuse blew. Replaced it and the bike ran fine.

The next morning I rode to work (about 7 minutes) with no problems. On my way home from work the same day (about 3 minutes riding) I smell smoke! I pull over quickly, get off and look to see smoke and sparks coming from the back of my R/R. Once again, tow the bike home and start pulling things off.

Turns out the R/R was fried on the backside. I went to a local salvage spot and got a used one for $80. I put it on the bike and she fired up fine! Then I let it run for a few minutes just to keep an eye on the new R/R. After about 2 minutes of idling, I put my hand over the R/R and it was REALLY hot. I dont know how hot they are supposed to get, but I think this was way too hot.

Any suggestions? Stator? How can I check these things myself? I hate going to the dealership for mechanical work. So far with 13.5k miles I've done all the service myself. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

x022
05-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Maybe something like this: http://www.coolinnovations.com/products/heatsinks/surface-mount-devices/Dense-Design

Nothing fancy but it certainly would help dissipate the heat.

dainese954
05-04-2009, 04:19 PM
could the rectifier go bad slowly? because my battery would die and i have to jump start it and it would barely run. however if i leave it over night with the battery being dead my bike would easily put start the next day with no problems and my gauge would work the next day too so it gets more power the next day

GSXRtim06
05-06-2009, 11:45 AM
bumpskies

Punisher14
05-07-2009, 12:07 PM
RR is has been an issue for many years on this and many other bike model lines. Next to go will be your main wiring harness. Again, heat will fry it to destruction. Moving the RR doesnt really cure the problem. The heat source is from within the RR and harness due to electrical resistance.

NININGER
06-12-2009, 06:45 PM
So, similar situation.. I just got a new (fully charged) battery and after about an hour or so it just died...Im guessing its my charging system because after re-charging the battery the bike seems to hold its charge sitting. I unbolted my rectifier but couldnt get to the wires(yet)? Q#1 do i need to lift up the tank? Q#2 the rectifier looks fine on both sides so does this mean its likely okay and maybe the problem is elsewhere like the stator or something? or should i completly take it off and inspect the connectors?? PLEASE HELP

ozrazor
06-12-2009, 09:02 PM
So, similar situation.. I just got a new (fully charged) battery and after about an hour or so it just died...Im guessing its my charging system because after re-charging the battery the bike seems to hold its charge sitting. I unbolted my rectifier but couldnt get to the wires(yet)? Q#1 do i need to lift up the tank? Q#2 the rectifier looks fine on both sides so does this mean its likely okay and maybe the problem is elsewhere like the stator or something? or should i completly take it off and inspect the connectors?? PLEASE HELP

I just went through my second reg/rec and stator in 10thou K's, its frustrating, never knowing when the bikes gunna shut down again. We pay crazy prices for spares over here. I have to buy my reg/rec's from the US as its cheaper and I get the staor re-wound for around 100.

New reg/rec from Suzuki 350
New stator from suzuki 400

Yeah the plugs are a bitch to get at have to left tank and remove whole airbox to get at them.

Put ya bike up on race/paddock stand, leaving it on side stand will have oil spill out bike needs to be level. Pull ya stator cover off and check it.

If it looks like this it stuffed.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc95/RAZOR-BLADE600/Picture018.jpg

NININGER
06-14-2009, 05:31 AM
1st thanks 4 respondin back so quickly (: I gotta get a stand asap cuz my plan 4 tomorrow (WAS) to take off the stator cover off n check it visually while on the kick stand! What a mess i guess u saved me(: THANKS..haha I might just have someone one HOLD it level for me to check it real quick??? Q#1 Where can you get the stator re-wound at if that ends up being the problem? I too just hit 10K miles on my 07GSXR600. Q#2 So is it possible that the rectifier/regulator could still be the problem even tho it LOOKS okay?? Q#3 assuming the RR and the stator are both okay.. what else IF ANY could be the problem for the charging system to going out???

NININGER
06-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Q#4 lookin back at some postings..I realized I havent checked the 30amp fuse yet, i found others but not the 30amp? where is it? and assuming its bad should i just change it right away or inspect the stator 1st b4 wasting another fuse. I need help lol

Mugen
06-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Q#4 lookin back at some postings..I realized I havent checked the 30amp fuse yet, i found others but not the 30amp? where is it? and assuming its bad should i just change it right away or inspect the stator 1st b4 wasting another fuse. I need help lol

Some guys posted here saying that every time they changed the 30 A fuse it kept popping up until they checked stator or R/R.

brendanp
06-14-2009, 07:52 AM

Exactly! They get hot. This is why they have cooling fins on them.

06-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah the plugs are a bitch to get at have to left tank and remove whole airbox to get at them.

on the 07 600 u got a choice, u can get at the R/R plugs described above or u can remove side plastic, move radiator forward (3 bolts) an pop out the plastic engine shield. from here u can unplug all kinds of stuff.

grandmaster
07-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Alright, sorry to reserect an old thread, but I am having the same problem. Where is the 30A main fuse that everyone is replacing and is blown? I took my stator out and it looks like the one above so I know that is bad. But my rectafier doesnt LOOK to be bad....How can I tell if it is? I know the battary isn't charging so should aI replace the stator then plug it all back in? Or should I replace them both? If I replace just the stator and the rectafier is bad will it burn up the stator again?

billyhoyle
08-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Alright, sorry to reserect an old thread, but I am having the same problem. Where is the 30A main fuse that everyone is replacing and is blown? I took my stator out and it looks like the one above so I know that is bad. But my rectafier doesnt LOOK to be bad....How can I tell if it is? I know the battary isn't charging so should aI replace the stator then plug it all back in? Or should I replace them both? If I replace just the stator and the rectafier is bad will it burn up the stator again?

I've just gone through what many of you have (blown 30A fuse, bike shutting down in the middle of nowhere), and discovered that the rectifier was done for.

The 30A fuse is under the seat, behind the battery. I had to unbolt and remove the center part of the tail cowling (2 bolts, 2 screws and ~6 fasteners) to get at it.

Do a search for the service manual on the forums here. It has the procedure for using a multimeter to check the various parts of your charging system to determine where the problem is. If you can't find the manual, pm me and I'll see what I can do about getting you a copy.

lopeman
08-05-2010, 11:21 PM
buy an aftermarket one with i higher rating, they stock ones are cheap shit and basically a consumable.

once they get real hot once the copper inside deteroriates and causes resistance, which increases heat, and so on and so forth til. . . . pop

GSXR508
08-14-2010, 05:42 PM
just happened to me today....burning smell, then completely dead. the needle was stick at 2K rpm. no turn over, no power at all. noticed the rectifier wiring was burnt. Now can a rectifier going out, ruin a generator (which I just put in where 2 coils were burnt)??

GSXR508
08-15-2010, 02:33 AM
bump

elridor
08-15-2010, 08:23 AM
So...

I understand there's really no cure for this plague other than finding a better rafter market rectifier, is it?

Anyone knows about a better after market rectifier here?

Anyone has tried another besides the oem?

Fuck, that set me back to my Aprilia days... :banghead

Chocolate_Rain
08-15-2010, 11:54 AM
SHINDENGEN MOSFET FH012AA

Runs cooler and lasts longer.

GSXR508
08-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Chocolate_Rain, very interesting and insightful. thanks.

elridor
08-15-2010, 05:16 PM
SHINDENGEN MOSFET FH012AA

Runs cooler and lasts longer.

Has anyone here tried it?

Oh and thanks Chocolate_Rain!

GSXR508
08-15-2010, 06:02 PM
since my rectifier went, did it damage the new generator i put in a month ago? I would hate to get into a cycle of damage and continual repair bills...any insight is appreciated.

Chocolate_Rain
08-15-2010, 06:44 PM
If you do a search of it, you will see that quite a few riders from other forums are using it.

You can also find a guy in California that sells a kit; R/R, wires, and connectors.

GSXR508
08-17-2010, 04:17 PM
easy fix? lift the tank, airbox? it just mounts to the bracket on the frame??

billyhoyle
08-18-2010, 11:35 AM
easy fix? lift the tank, airbox? it just mounts to the bracket on the frame??

That's pretty much it. There are two connectors you'll have to unplug/plug back in under the airbox, but that's pretty much it. Just feed the connectors from the new rectifier up the same way you pulled the old ones out.

cerpiko
08-25-2010, 03:36 PM
I have the one mentioned above and it works great, the shindogen R/R is from the R1's and they are Mosfet not shunt thats why they run cooler and longer.

LynnM
08-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Their is a better option A compu fire series regulator FOR ANY BIKE
Better than the FH012
http://www.usmotoman.com/product/voltage-regulator-for-compufire-3phase-system/-1_17037

cerpiko
08-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Their is a better option A compu fire series regulator FOR ANY BIKE
Better than the FH012
http://www.usmotoman.com/product/voltage-regulator-for-compufire-3phase-system/-1_17037

What makes this a better unit than the FH012 unit? Those units are rated at 22 or 32 amps the FH is 50 amps, also where are you going to mount that thing at least the FH is made to mount on a sport bike not a crusier.

onehighfocus
08-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Looks like Ron Ayers shows the p/n for a 07/08 GSXR 1000 being used now for replacement of the 06/07 600/750 RECTIFIER ASSY

06/07 600/75 Mfg. Part Number: 32800-02H00

This item has been superceded to: 32800-21H00 <= 07/08 GSXR 1000
SKU: 473700

Dunno if its because its better or they jsut ran out of 06/07 ones tho :dunno

LynnM
08-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Al of the mfg are having stator/ reg problems. Their is a big write up on the Aprilla forum. It concerns amount of energy produced by the rotor. Rather than shunting ex voltage to ground Which causes lots of heat Series reg allows the reg to run 30-40 degrees cooler and also not burn up the stator

BERT-O
09-06-2010, 04:01 PM
If you do a search of it, you will see that quite a few riders from other forums are using it.

You can also find a guy in California that sells a kit; R/R, wires, and connectors.

Cool, I'll look into that. FL heats kills R/R...

creolegsxr
09-13-2010, 09:00 PM
I have the fh012aa R/R and mounted it where the set valve actuator was and wired it with the 28" leads + plugs from eastern beaver.

kinda see it here..

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j50/cajundragger/61856_447855951624_726091624_5771292_6569375_n.jpg

silversurfer06
09-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Ey mine also got busted but i'm not sure whats the problem,

First the battery got drained, charged it the checked the charging rate, it was only 12v. Then got drained again, recharged it,

Friend told me its the RR so i took it out, found a burnt wires, tested it with another gixxer and its fine except for the burn wires,

What seems to be the problem and why did the wires got burn if the RR is still working fine? Lastly why is my battery getting drained?

Could it be the stator???

Tnx guys

gix'nvixen
09-20-2010, 09:29 AM
I've had the same issue's as some here.... Bike died in north Ga mountains a couple months ago, my 06 gixxer has over 60K miles on it (what can I say? I ride :punk ). I knew instantly it was the stator because my stator had gone out before in NC mountains. New stator, $200. Friend towed me home & my boyfriend popped the new stator in.
What we didn't know was that the rectifier was probably the cause of this.

Ended up having to buy a new battery a couple of weeks later...but we didn't think anything of it because it was original to the bike, figured it was time for a new one.

Then last week on the way to work we were stopped at a redlight and I smelled plastic burning. I asked my boyfriend (scala's are awesome) if he smelled it and he said yes. A block later and it was lights out. Tac stuck on 2K. Towed home (took the tow truck 4 hours to get there).

So, another new stator (ebay this time) and a semi used rectifier (didn't know about the aftermarket one till I read this thread just now). My boyfriend puts them in over the weekend and the bike is still dead. Today after work he'll try the 30 amp fuse and connect the battery from his strom...hopefully that will sort it out. Meanwhile, I'm stuck riding his yami.....almost makes me want to step over to the darkside :ohmy

Morale of the story...if your stator goes bad, you definitely want to check your rectifier also. Otherwise you could end up having to buy ANOTHER stator AND battery.

:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

a&w
09-20-2010, 10:34 AM
My k7 600 has been sitting for a while. Haven't had time to deal with it.

I followed the steps in the service manual and have concluded that the generator is the culprit. Step 6 I believe (section 9-11), I am not producing 65V at 5000rpm when I place the multimeter leads on the 3 yellow generator wires. Battery voltage doesn't rise either when revving at 5000rpm.

Thought it was the regulator initially but the resistance through that is within the manual's specs.

I'll open up the generator this week. Need to pick up some oil first.

Where can I get a generator? Preferably in Canada.
Thanks

Mugen
09-20-2010, 05:52 PM
I've had the same issue's as some here.... Bike died in north Ga mountains a couple months ago, my 06 gixxer has over 60K miles on it (what can I say? I ride :punk ). I knew instantly it was the stator because my stator had gone out before in NC mountains. New stator, $200. Friend towed me home & my boyfriend popped the new stator in.
What we didn't know was that the rectifier was probably the cause of this.

Ended up having to buy a new battery a couple of weeks later...but we didn't think anything of it because it was original to the bike, figured it was time for a new one.

Then last week on the way to work we were stopped at a redlight and I smelled plastic burning. I asked my boyfriend (scala's are awesome) if he smelled it and he said yes. A block later and it was lights out. Tac stuck on 2K. Towed home (took the tow truck 4 hours to get there).

So, another new stator (ebay this time) and a semi used rectifier (didn't know about the aftermarket one till I read this thread just now). My boyfriend puts them in over the weekend and the bike is still dead. Today after work he'll try the 30 amp fuse and connect the battery from his strom...hopefully that will sort it out. Meanwhile, I'm stuck riding his yami.....almost makes me want to step over to the darkside :ohmy

Morale of the story...if your stator goes bad, you definitely want to check your rectifier also. Otherwise you could end up having to buy ANOTHER stator AND battery.

:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

You shouldn't have bought another stator from eBay. It was your rectifier all the way. Get an 08/09 600/750 or even any other 1000 rectifier and forget that problem

woolfika
09-21-2010, 12:37 PM
My rectifier on 07 600 went out and i had bought used from 08 1000 it's same position of the mounting holes but it has larger cooler, so i will recommend from gsxr1000 as replacement.

Mugen
09-21-2010, 05:13 PM
My rectifier on 07 600 went out and i had bought used from 08 1000 it's same position of the mounting holes but it has larger cooler, so i will recommend from gsxr1000 as replacement.

What charge are you getting at the battery terminals since you've installed the 1k rectifier?

Smittybizzle
09-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Ok guys the reason why they go bad is b/c Suzuki wanted to save money and the company that made them used cheap parts ans material to make them .

speedo16003
09-22-2010, 12:34 AM
:hammer
Had changed my GSXR600K7 rectifier at 56K kms, stator toasted at 107k. now my bike is at 115k means, the rectifier had passed its lifespan supposedly (got a spare just in case). We really don't know exactly what causes the two parts goes bad, but one thing I guessed is because of the heat generated by the bike engine and being transferred to the rectifier's heat sink and to the stator coils...
:cheers
Just my opinion

gix'nvixen
09-27-2010, 01:40 PM
You shouldn't have bought another stator from eBay. It was your rectifier all the way. Get an 08/09 600/750 or even any other 1000 rectifier and forget that problem

I wish that had been true, but the new stator was fried. I at least didn't want to spend another $200 on a new one, so ebay turned out to be a good choice.

Also blew the 30 amp fuse, once we replaced that it fired right up.

Thanks for the tip on the newer model rectifiers, I didn't know they would swap out like that. I'll be sure to remember that NEXT time :suicide

Mugen
10-06-2010, 05:08 PM
I wish that had been true, but the new stator was fried. I at least didn't want to spend another $200 on a new one, so ebay turned out to be a good choice.

Also blew the 30 amp fuse, once we replaced that it fired right up.

Thanks for the tip on the newer model rectifiers, I didn't know they would swap out like that. I'll be sure to remember that NEXT time :suicide

Sucks that you had to replace the rectifier and blow another stator.... Sure hope my advice helps you next time you blow the one you have now :cheers

a&w
10-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Can anyone recommend where to pick up a new stator and regulator?

07gixxer600Black
10-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Isint it higher up away from the engine on the 08? like mounted to frame?

gix'nvixen
03-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Isint it higher up away from the engine on the 08? like mounted to frame?

Just found out that suzuki has issued a recall on their rectifiers, but only for the '08 & '09's. What kind of crap is that???? :banghead

black_out
05-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Just found out that suzuki has issued a recall on their rectifiers, but only for the '08 & '09's. What kind of crap is that???? :banghead

:wtf

Mine just went out on me saturday. Just got around to testing it today. :cursing

nykuryu
05-15-2011, 03:13 PM
MY question is why place the RR right next to the engine? the RR's die soon enough in the tail section where most used to be. i figure the high temps next to the engine will just kill it that much faster.

sawjai526
05-20-2011, 06:51 PM
I was left stranded on the freeway (07 GSXR 600). RR burnt, and stator toast as well. Im order the yamaha r1 RR which is suppose run cooler and better! hopefully it cure the problem.

http://www.roadstercycle.com/

kwaka10r
05-21-2011, 07:59 AM
The right side where there 2009 onwards 1k is mounted is the best place to relocate it if you still want to access the idle screw.

Aria
01-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Same problems for me! 07 gsxr600
RR went out at 26k and i replaced that as well as the battery (since it fried it)
The new RR I got (from Ebday) was bigger, so i was sure it'd be fine and work for a while! A month and a half ago I started having issues with my bike, it would randomly turn off then on while riding it.
Anyways...Come to find out my Stator has gone bad, and my RR once again! And this is at 32k
I believe this time around i'll be buying OEM parts, since they lasted a bit longer.
If anyone has some tips, please let me know!
Idk if Im willing to try an 08 RR, unless a few people have done that, and had it last for a long time!

And when my RR and Stator went bad, it killed my HIDs!!! :( blew 4 fuses trying to figure it out

yaksha79
01-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Same problems for me! 07 gsxr600
RR went out at 26k and i replaced that as well as the battery (since it fried it)
The new RR I got (from Ebday) was bigger, so i was sure it'd be fine and work for a while! A month and a half ago I started having issues with my bike, it would randomly turn off then on while riding it.
Anyways...Come to find out my Stator has gone bad, and my RR once again! And this is at 32k
I believe this time around i'll be buying OEM parts, since they lasted a bit longer.
If anyone has some tips, please let me know!
Idk if Im willing to try an 08 RR, unless a few people have done that, and had it last for a long time!

And when my RR and Stator went bad, it killed my HIDs!!! :( blew 4 fuses trying to figure it out

The 08-09 RR has more fin surface area (not sure what it takes to swap), but whichever one you buy do a search on moving it to the spot where the 08-09 RR is at doesn't seem to be too hard and it will get more and cooler airflow there. good luck.

v17nyb
01-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Another one here with this problem.
Bike is a k7 with only 2600 miles. Its been in winter storage over the festive period and I've started every week to keep it from gathering cobwebs in the cylinder. Last week started it, left it running whilst preparing the turkey, went back to shut it off 10 mins later and it was already off with flat battery :banghead
So does anybody have the standard r/r part number? will the recalled/ updated 08/09 fit straight on?
Havent got round to checking my stator yet too

v17nyb
01-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Another one here with this problem.
Bike is a k7 with only 2600 miles. Its been in winter storage over the festive period and I've started every week to keep it from gathering cobwebs in the cylinder. Last week started it, left it running whilst preparing the turkey, went back to shut it off 10 mins later and it was already off with flat battery :banghead
So does anybody have the standard r/r part number? will the recalled/ updated 08/09 fit straight on?
Havent got round to checking my stator yet too
Found the part number 32800-21H00, seems this is used on the 08 1k's too.
This is the updated version superceeding the old 32800-02H00 r/r

v17nyb
01-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Found the part number 32800-21H00, seems this is used on the 08 1k's too.
This is the updated version superceeding the old 32800-02H00 r/r

Yet another part number for the 08/09 recall 32800-47810-RX0

QuietRider
01-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Yes, that's right. Suzuki now specs the '08 1K regulator/rectifier as the replacement on our bikes. It is plug and play compatible. :)

However, if you are investing in a new r/r I still think it's a better option to go with a MOSFET unit. It does take some rewiring. Here's one source.

http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%20FH012AA%20Regulator%20upgrade%20kit.h tm

Jerome Marley
01-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Suzuki has a current rectifier recall on a wide range of motorcycles. Lucky me!?!?! I had three covered. 09 C50, 09 GSXR 750 and a 08 B-king. Basically, took a whole day of ferrying bikes back and forth to the shop for the recall...

v17nyb
01-19-2012, 06:00 PM
So i revived my bike today. I put the 1k 21h00 rectifier on and we'll see how long it lasts. Getting a nice 14.5v at the battery on tick over now.
Recifier did heat up quickly which was worrying but apparently normal being a shunt type:dunno
When doing the stator multimeter tests at 5k i was getting 80v's and service manual says 65v and above is ok. Although m resistance reading were coming back at 0.15ohms which i though was a little low as manual say 0.2-1 ohm. Anybody give some feedback on this?

Legendman
04-25-2012, 01:21 PM
I found this for you K8 and K9 folks..

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/49/2008/suzuki/gsx_r600/86950.html

v17nyb
08-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Mine is dead AGAIN!!!!!!

therealnewera
08-15-2012, 06:28 PM
can someone help me locate and test the 30amp fuse ?

rezz
04-02-2014, 06:58 PM
If your regulator/rectifier goes bad it is best to replace both stator and regulator. I ride freeway everyday and lastweek my regulator went bad I did all the testing to the stator and vrr. stator was putting out 65v on both sides. so I replaced the vrr. after 2 days of riding the electrical system shut down and had to tow back to the house. got out the volt meter and found the stator was no longer putting out any voltage and no ohm load. took the stator cover off and found a wire winding was burnt. so I figure that a vrr doesn't go bad just from the heat of the headers.

if your gonna need a stator or regulator look to racetechelectric.com. there parts come with a 1 year warranty.

rezz
04-02-2014, 07:00 PM
So i revived my bike today. I put the 1k 21h00 rectifier on and we'll see how long it lasts. Getting a nice 14.5v at the battery on tick over now.
Recifier did heat up quickly which was worrying but apparently normal being a shunt type:dunno
When doing the stator multimeter tests at 5k i was getting 80v's and service manual says 65v and above is ok. Although m resistance reading were coming back at 0.15ohms which i though was a little low as manual say 0.2-1 ohm. Anybody give some feedback on this?

have you had any problems since you replaced the vrr

Samantha750
04-02-2014, 07:04 PM
have you had any problems since you replaced the vrr

You do know this thread is from 2012 and the person you are asking Last Activity: 06-06-2013?

Muddy4DSM
04-03-2014, 08:53 AM
You do know this thread is from 2012 and the person you are asking Last Activity: 06-06-2013?

I find this to be a very funny statement. Most people get pissed off when you ask a question when there's a previous thread discussing the question. When this guy finds the original thread to continue the discussion, there's criticism for bringing up an old thread. What's a guy supposed to do?

Travis V
04-03-2014, 11:07 AM
One thing that many people do not realize about the R/R is how it functions.
It burns off the unused amperage that the stator puts out, which is a low amount.
However, when you start to remove standard equipment, and replace it with equipment that draws less amperage, you are thus giving the R/R more work.

If your stator puts out 30 amps, and your bike uses 28 amps to run all the electronics, you are burning off 2amps. If you remove the 10 amps going to the headlights - you are burning off 12 amps.

TuxthePenguin
04-04-2014, 12:44 PM
What moronic engineer puts something that is trying to dissipate heat next to something that generates heat!?!? Not only that, air flow behind the radiator is substantially less.

:hammer:hammer:hammer:hammer

This and the TPS issue has me shaking my head at some of these Suzuki engineers.

Yes there are fixes for all these things, but if they had spent like 5 freakin more minutes on this, none of it would be an issue.

Travis V
04-04-2014, 03:26 PM
I believe it is things like LEDs, HIDs, etc that stress the R/R too much. Or constantly being at a standstill/traffic which allows no air to pass through the fins.

Get a neat little CPU fan and mount it on the R/R lol

Kartel
04-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Do them neat little CPU fans like water Buddy? Huh, smart arse?!

Travis V
04-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Do them neat little CPU fans like water Buddy? Huh, smart arse?!

Why are you so obsessed with me?

Kartel
04-08-2014, 07:55 PM
You wish...

Samantha750
04-08-2014, 08:04 PM
I find this to be a very funny statement. Most people get pissed off when you ask a question when there's a previous thread discussing the question. When this guy finds the original thread to continue the discussion, there's criticism for bringing up an old thread. What's a guy supposed to do?

How about look at thread dates and not ask questions from members who are no longer here? When we say search, we mean look for an answer to your question, not bring back 1,2,4,6 year or older threads for something pointless like ie. "Thanks" find your answer and move along. Do you really suppose this non-active member is coming back to answer this pointless question?

Knight2211
04-09-2014, 05:19 AM
One thing that many people do not realize about the R/R is how it functions.
It burns off the unused amperage that the stator puts out, which is a low amount.
However, when you start to remove standard equipment, and replace it with equipment that draws less amperage, you are thus giving the R/R more work.

If your stator puts out 30 amps, and your bike uses 28 amps to run all the electronics, you are burning off 2amps. If you remove the 10 amps going to the headlights - you are burning off 12 amps.

The stator does not produce amperage. Amperage the draw (amps) of components (watts) at a certain voltage.

Amp = Watts/Volts

Your RR is converting the stator output from AC to DC and dropping the voltage.

tommy87
04-10-2014, 02:21 AM
it heats by dropping voltage and rest of a current converts into it. the more current is needed, the less current is making heat