Front-end wiggle? [Archive] - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

: Front-end wiggle?

600to750death
08-05-2008, 08:03 PM
My buddy rides a '01 busa w/8500 miles(original front tire), and he said that when he is going under 40mph the front-end is shakey almost wiggles pretty bad to the point that when he is just cruisin through the city he won't even take a hand off he said when both hands are on its pretty stabil but when he starts to relax or take a hand off it gets bad. Please any help will be greatly appreciated he has adjusted his forks and today I told him to make it stiff to see if that helps.

jermattak
08-05-2008, 08:19 PM
did he adjust the forks before or after the shaking problem came up?

600to750death
08-05-2008, 08:28 PM
after, he thought it might remedy the problem but didn't. PLEASE HELP OUT, HE'S HAD A COUPLE OF ISSUES AND HE IS GETTING FRUSTRATED AND THINKING ABOUT GETTING A CRUISER. NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

HO HO
08-05-2008, 09:17 PM
check the tire for cupping

600to750death
08-06-2008, 05:27 PM
cupping? kinda like being out of balance?

jermattak
08-06-2008, 05:38 PM
no he means like on an under inflated car tire, how the tire profile "cups"
http://www.mpi.mb.ca/Images/60SecondDriver/tireinflation.jpg

funny, because it wont happen becasue our tires are convexed, maybe if the tire was at like 5 psi, but i think he would notice :lol
my guess is that its out of alignment, forks are not in sync, bent rim

HO HO
08-06-2008, 09:41 PM
cupping? kinda like being out of balance?
alot of the tread patterns will create a cupping in them (if you slide your hand over it youd notice it)
its caused from many things including wheelies and lack of proper alignment of the tires
ive had many tires do it from having too many miles on them (hard high speed miles)
straight line racing and riding a lot will also cause cupping

jermattak
08-06-2008, 09:43 PM
oh all those bulges and bumps, i wouldnt call it cupping. but i know what your talking about, there is noo way that could cause a violent shake at any speed

HO HO
08-06-2008, 09:45 PM
no he means like on an under inflated car tire, how the tire profile "cups"
http://www.mpi.mb.ca/Images/60SecondDriver/tireinflation.jpg

funny, because it wont happen becasue our tires are convexed, maybe if the tire was at like 5 psi, but i think he would notice :lol
my guess is that its out of alignment, forks are not in sync, bent rim
nope not what i meant at all the tread itself cups from one section to the next
ive been racing for 12-15 yrs now and pitched many tires from cupping so i do know that it happens quite frequently on motorcycle tires
it will cause high speed wobbles and head shake when it gets bad enough

jermattak
08-06-2008, 09:48 PM
i know it happens frequntly, it has happened a few times to me, when i bought my current bike the tires were so badly "cupped" as you call it that i could see it from 15 feet away. Unless its bulging out an inch, it wouldnt cause violent shaking in a straight line at forty miles an hour.

HO HO
08-06-2008, 09:59 PM
on some tread patterns it will due to not having a flat area on the straight line surface

jermattak
08-06-2008, 10:01 PM
on some tread patterns it will due to not having a flat area on the straight line surface

im sure the middle of the tire is beat, 8k on it, and its a busa. i dont think the tread pattern would matter, its gone by now

600to750death
08-07-2008, 07:40 PM
thanks guys, I do know when I looked at the tire the tread "looked" good, it didn't look wore down. My buddy bought it off a 42 yr old man who owned it since it was new (which doesn't mean he didn't do wheelies or ride it like a busa) but just cause the tire "looks" good doesn't mean it neccesarily is good? Can he take to a tire place and have it balanced like we do to our cars? I just know he's not gonna be happy if he buys a new front tire and it still shakes. Forks not aligned properly? could you explain that more. maybe there is not enough pressure (oil or whatever keeps them pressurized) in them?

JinVortex
08-07-2008, 07:44 PM
tire balance... no damper... :dunno..

Papa Gnush
08-07-2008, 07:52 PM
can someone post a picture of what a cupped tire might look like?

Papa Gnush
08-07-2008, 07:55 PM
i do see the CAR tire image, just wondering what it might look like on a motorcycle tire..

monkeyspanker
10-03-2008, 10:56 AM
is the wheel in round the right way??? local tyre firm fitted my tyre to the wheel the right way then put the wheel in round the wrong way..made all sorts of weird issues with the front...apparently its one of the only bikes you can do it to easily. just a thought incase its been out for any reason...also the bearings are weak on the front check they dont have any play in them....mind u that tyre has to be shagged age wise by now..must be very tired .

supertech
12-05-2008, 10:54 PM
tire is old and cupped. because of the weight of the front end it will shake violently. used to happen rather often on older zx10s and 01 busa i owned. when it shook, i new it was time for some new rubber up front.

i know this is an old thread, but the info might help someone else.