Starter relay clicks but no crank starter issues [Archive] - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

: Starter relay clicks but no crank starter issues

CityHunt3R
09-25-2007, 02:56 AM
My bike just completelyt drained the battery the other week after sitting out parked for a work shift, I jump ojn bike at end of day and bike is completely dead then... I try to jump it off a car... the bike starts when jumper cables are on but when I disconnect, the bike shuts off. I get a used relay off ebay .. I connect it.. the starter relay just clicks .. no cranking at all relay just clicks and the dash fades,.... sighs .... any help would be greatly appreciated how do I know relay is good???? ho0w do u test a starter relay???

Duff8402
09-25-2007, 04:27 AM
I can't speak from experience, but I've heard that you should not under any circumstances jump a bike from a car battery...way to many cranking amps and can kill your starter. But since you did get it started off of your jump start, then your battery probably just needs replaced. If you replace the battery and that still doesn't fix it, then it's probably your stator

CityHunt3R
09-25-2007, 12:58 PM
The stator would cause the relay to click and no crank.?

Ogri 750
09-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Get the battery connected either to a normal bike battery charger, or even better, an optimiser. Reconnect it and try again.

If the battery voltage has fallen below a certain level, the bike won't charge it.

CityHunt3R
09-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Im sure its not the battery just got it earlier this year. The relay just keeps clicking repeatedly... no crank.

tested battery volt meter 12V, when i leave it over a day connected it drains batttery also... wth

bigBkillah
09-25-2007, 04:42 PM
check the fuse under your seat. if you blew that you will hear the relay but no start

CityHunt3R
09-25-2007, 05:16 PM
you mean the 30 fuse on the relay? thats the only fuse I can see under the seat.. it s fine not burnt out...

this

adamrich33
09-25-2007, 07:17 PM
you really need to see what voltage your battery is holding if its below 12v it going to just click, you my want to make sure your battery connections are tight and not corroded, make sure to check the ground wire connection too, if its clicking your fuses are good

CityHunt3R
10-01-2007, 11:30 PM
batery is over 12 volts.. the fuel pump relay is now clicking after I attempt to start, the dash goes dem... then the fuel pump primes again stops.. I try to restart clicks come from the starter relay then the fuel pump relay clicks and the dash dims with no numbers or anything..... WTF I m going to try to run line directly to starter to seee if its not the starter ...will the fuel pump relay cause bike not to crank?

ZR28
10-02-2007, 12:37 AM
A GOOD battery should read 12.7 volts, if it's not then it will need to be charged. A battery that is low on voltage will cause the injectors not to fire.

CityHunt3R
10-04-2007, 10:27 PM
BAD battery, volts show 12 volt charge but battery cant hold load so yeah bad battery stupid cycle gear cheap battery

ScooterBoy1000
10-05-2007, 11:17 PM
if I was to bet money, #1= Battery bad, doesnt matter how long ago u bought it. You need a fully charged battery in the bike.Your bike does not have an alternator it has a generator. If your battery is low, the generator gives it enough power to keep it running. ćurn it off and its dead

janahi69
05-20-2010, 06:23 PM
HELP NEEDED HERE!!,

Hi people, I took my bike for a long drive yesterday, i stopped at a traffic light and turned the kill switch off so i can ask for directions... as soon as the traffic lights went green, i turned the red switch on and hit the ignition .. but the bike died on me .. i'm not sure whats wrong with it but it sounds like an electrical problem which i hate! .. i have checked my fuse box all my fuses were fine, I've checked the starter relay fuse it was fine too .. anyone has an idea what could be the problem ?? I would really appreciate it .. as i only have my bike that takes me everywhere

Cheers mates

ItsaGixa
05-21-2010, 01:10 AM
PEOPLE PLEASE CHECK YOUR BATTERY!!!!!!
If you measure across the terminals of the battery (with the engine running) you should get 13-14 ish volts

you will have 12-13 volts at the battery (with engine off) if you only have 12 then look at the generator
keep your multimeter across the terminals of the battery and attempt to start your bike, if the voltage drops down under load then you probably have a dead cell in the battery (thanks 4 years at Century batteries) in which case the bike wont start.
exact same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago

Chugs
05-21-2010, 10:18 AM
I can't speak from experience, but I've heard that you should not under any circumstances jump a bike from a car battery...way to many cranking amps and can kill your starter. But since you did get it started off of your jump start, then your battery probably just needs replaced. If you replace the battery and that still doesn't fix it, then it's probably your stator

I've jumped my bike a few times with my truck never had any issues.

Bagherra
05-21-2010, 07:46 PM
yeah, i've jumped my bike using my car and have had no problems.

ItsaGixa
05-22-2010, 12:41 AM
I dont really see how it could cause a problem as when you connect your battery to another vehicles you are parralelling....your battery will start to be charged by the other vehicles battery (if the potential is greater)
Some people talk about spikes and surges etc...but as long as the donor vehicle is in good working order it should never be a problem

belizean02gsxr6
06-02-2010, 09:30 PM
PEOPLE PLEASE CHECK YOUR BATTERY!!!!!!
If you measure across the terminals of the battery (with the engine running) you should get 13-14 ish volts

you will have 12-13 volts at the battery (with engine off) if you only have 12 then look at the generator
keep your multimeter across the terminals of the battery and attempt to start your bike, if the voltage drops down under load then you probably have a dead cell in the battery (thanks 4 years at Century batteries) in which case the bike wont start.
exact same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago

so if it drops any amount of voltage, its bad?

ItsaGixa
06-02-2010, 10:50 PM
If your measuring the battery and while your trying to start the bike the battery voltage drops below 10.9V then you have a stuffed battery

belizean02gsxr6
06-03-2010, 03:06 PM
i had it charged @ autozone and when i put it on the bike it was @ 13.13 volts, then when i started it, it dropped to 12.7... is that normal...i rode it home which was about 3 miles and with the bike off it was 13.03

Harte
06-08-2010, 02:29 AM
I dont really see how it could cause a problem as when you connect your battery to another vehicles you are parralelling....your battery will start to be charged by the other vehicles battery (if the potential is greater)
Some people talk about spikes and surges etc...but as long as the donor vehicle is in good working order it should never be a problem

I've jumped off a car several times, no probs there.

Check you battery can hold charge under load. If it drops down while trying to crank (like to 11.5v or something) then its in bad condition.

I've deep cycled batteries and had them come back and keep going for ages, so if you have a mains charger then give it a full charge, drain it on high beams and repeat several times and it'll work again (for a while, unless its really screwed). ...Or just buy a new one.

If your bike starts and runs fine after a charge but then hard to start again after, your stator might not be generating enough to charge your battery. Also check the connector is clean. I had min rebuilt 12 months ago as it had fried one of the three phases.

Lastly if the battery holds charge and the stator is cranking out power, look to your reg/rec.

rhw125
06-21-2010, 10:36 PM
I had the same thing go wrong with my k2 750. 12 volt batteries don't literally hold a 12v charge. If im not mistaken, there around 12.7v with no load. If you measure anywhere close to 12 with a multimeter, your battery is dead. that small decimal after the 12 means a lot. You can try charging it, but make sure your charging it at about 1-2 amps. And yes, as stated earlier, you can use a car battery to jump your bikes.... as long as both are 12v. 12v jumping a 6v= bad day.

ItsaGixa
06-22-2010, 03:21 AM
Yeah 13.01v is normal, the output of the alternator is around 14.5v which obviously charges the battery.
If you were to measure a brand new battery after a charge you would read 13V+ as the battery/lead/acid would all be in good condition.
Over the years the batterys capacity will diminish and you may even read a voltage as low as 12.2V or lower but what matters most is how the battery acts under load.
So as i previously stated if you try to start the bike and the battery voltage drops below 11.3ish V then the battery is stuffed.