can I get an out of state license if mines suspended? [Archive] - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

: can I get an out of state license if mines suspended?

gfilla
06-07-2007, 02:45 PM
hey ya'll,

if my license gets suspended here in NJ for having too many points (ugh), is it true I can go to PA and get a licence if I have residence there? What about Florida??

What about insurance?? If my insurance company drops me, or jacks up my rate, can I get insurance based on Florida do you think?? do the points carry over??

I've heard people say I can get an license, but the insurance is iffy... is this true or what?? has anyone done this??

thanks

njracer
06-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Just so you know, you will have to lie to the other state regarding your driving record in NJ. In addition to that, if you get pulled over in NJ with a FL/PA license and your NJ license is suspended...guess what? You go right to jail and your bike/car gets impounded.

gfilla
06-07-2007, 03:03 PM
shit... are you sure about this??? where did you get this info?? not trying to be a smart ass but it's really important.... i got pulled over for riding the shoulder on the way to work on the turnpike in Newark (only skipped 3 cars and was going 15 mph, just started doing it and was trying to be slick about it when right away a cop pops out of nowhere)... the scumbag gave me 2 fucking tickets, one for improper passing and careless driving... it hink i may have hit 12 points and am trying to figure out WTF i am going to do....

njracer
06-07-2007, 03:32 PM
shit... are you sure about this??? where did you get this info?? not trying to be a smart ass but it's really important.... i got pulled over for riding the shoulder on the way to work on the turnpike in Newark (only skipped 3 cars and was going 15 mph, just started doing it and was trying to be slick about it when right away a cop pops out of nowhere)... the scumbag gave me 2 fucking tickets, one for improper passing and careless driving... it hink i may have hit 12 points and am trying to figure out WTF i am going to do....

Yes it's true, if you get suspended in NJ but then get busted again in NJ with a FL/PA license you are gonna get fucked. You might luck out if they don't run your name but more often then not they will run your name. After finding out your NJ license is suspended, you will take a trip to the station and you bike/car will take a trip tp the impound yard.

However, if you do hit 12pts, you can always take the driving class which will drop 2pts off your record but you cannot get another ticket for a year or something like that.

gfilla
06-07-2007, 04:08 PM
ugh.....

How about this... i'm going to DMV today to find out how many points I have... IF IM LUCKY i will 'only' have 10 points

Can I go to Florida, and get my car and bike license out there... will the points carry over?

I'm thinking If I have 10 points, I go to FLA (my parents have a place in FLA) and get my licences/insurance/register my car and bike.... then I can drive/ride around here... and if I get pulled over... then if I get a ticket, the points would go on my FLA license which has 0 points... is this possible or just too good to be true???

easter bunny
06-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Apparently you've never heard of the term "reciprocity". Yeah, just go ahead and grab a license in any other state. The DMV hasn't figured out that little loophole. I'm sure you're gonna be the first one to ever try it. :rolleyes

gfilla
06-07-2007, 04:11 PM
hey faggot... NEWS FLASH... i heard this from someone and kind of doubted it, so i came on here asking 'is this true???' ..... try re-reading my first post.. the last line might clarify... jesus christ you are stupid...

easter bunny
06-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Okay, let's recap: you repeatedly get busted for moving violations and "people" tell you that you can just go ahead and get a license in another state. So you post this ridiculous scenario on the interweb seeking qualified opinions. Yup, I must be the dumb one.

Here's a thought - why don't you call PennDOT and explain your situation to them. I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you how easy it is to sidestep your problem. Have a nice day. :biggrin

falcon2081
06-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Am sorry to say but that won't work anymore. Most of the states have a connected point system where if you get a ticket in NJ and you have a florida license then the points will go to your FL license. However this applies to only a few states so your going to have to research more on the subject. The only way this would work would be if your from Puerto Rico since we are US citizens our license works anywhere in the US and if i get a ticket here in the states i only have to worry about the fine. BUT it barely works anymore since there are now laws where if you live here for 3 months out of the year in the state you reside in you have to get a license from that current state. Your best bet is to get a lawyer and have him drop the tickets or have you pay fines only. Sucks i know but your asking how to get around the system and its not going to work. Hope this helps.

spike52
06-08-2007, 08:11 AM
hey faggot... NEWS FLASH... i heard this from someone and kind of doubted it, so i came on here asking 'is this true???' ..... try re-reading my first post.. the last line might clarify... jesus christ you are stupid...

njracer already told you...:hammer

When N.J. suspends your DL, it suspends your right to drive anywhere in the state. It's doesn't matter if you have a license in another state, you still can't drive.

bmacd
06-08-2007, 09:16 AM
As Falcon2081 pointed out, most of the states are connected via a central hub now, and it is now very hard to get around this old loophole.

njracer
06-08-2007, 09:23 AM

When N.J. suspends your DL, it suspends your right to drive anywhere in the state. It's doesn't matter if you have a license in another state, you still can't drive.

:cheers :punk

BTW, do you remember back in the day when all of the truck drivers had license plates from like 20 states on their truck and trailer?

kwth8n
06-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Not all the states are interconnected yet, and some say they will not do it at all. i had my va license for years (originally from ny, but moved to va for the military), and i had numerous tickets to the point everytime i got pulled over i got suspended prettyy much right away for points violations. so i went back to ny to get my license once it was reinstated in va. Now my license comes in as clean from ny, but my va is still -11 points. Basically like someone else told you, you can do it, not in pa though, pa and nj are connected, but florida may work, but that only enables you to drive in states that dont communicate the points system with nj, so basically if you get busted in nj, pa or ny for example, your still guilty of driving on a suspended license. I did the research when i switched mine, just fight the ticket and hope they issue you a conditional license while your suspended so you can drive to work or school. wife is from pa too and shes suspended for a reckless in nj, and she cant drive in nj, ny or pa at all, that came straight from pa dmv's mouth. probably not worth the trouble to get everything switched over IMO. Good luck

Paragon
06-08-2007, 10:46 AM

and when Florida finds out (and they will) that you have a suspended license in NJ, they will not only pull your Florida license, but probably charge you with falsifying official documents.:nono

spike52
06-08-2007, 10:48 AM
and when Florida finds out (and they will) that you have a suspended license in NJ, they will not only pull your Florida license, but probably charge you with falsifying official documents.:nono

*sssshh*

I wanna see what this guy does next...:lol

GSXR1000girlyman
06-08-2007, 11:52 AM
How about you.. Take the reckless tickets like a man, pay the fees and learn to use other means of transportation. SO the next time you drive/ ride on the streets you on't be so recless towards yourself and other motorists.

I walked for 6 MONTHS!! No damn sympathy here.

Oh, and don't even think about the "international" license trick either, it's a scam too.

Blitzkrieg
06-08-2007, 03:15 PM
How about you.. Take the reckless tickets like a man, pay the fees and learn to use other means of transportation. SO the next time you drive/ ride on the streets you on't be so recless towards yourself and other motorists.

I walked for 6 MONTHS!! No damn sympathy here.

Oh, and don't even think about the "international" license trick either, it's a scam too.

+1

Learning to drive/ride like a responsible adult is a much more viable option than trying to play the "which state can I be licensed in" game. Just man up, take some responsibility, and move on.