How can you tell when your bike is running too lean or too [Archive] - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

: How can you tell when your bike is running too lean or too

alex_howard_2001
02-15-2006, 10:33 AM
How can you tell when your bike is running too lean or too rich?

gsxr_rider
02-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Check your spark plugs...if they are "sooty" black, you're rich, if it's white you're too lean, should be a nice tan color. If everything is working properly on the fuel injected bikes it should be pretty close, maybe a little on the lean side...best bet is to take it to a dyno and get your air/fuel graph...this will tell you everything... http://www.gixxer.com/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

icycold
02-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Plugs are a good reading but you have to run your bike hard for at least 8-10minutes before you get a descent reading.

RussZTT
02-16-2006, 02:24 AM
Also look inside the tip of your pipe. If its thick black or alot of it, its on the rich side. Its there isn't much or any at all or a white tent, its running on the lean side. Generally bikes run fine from the factory unless you modded the bike with a map.

JetSpeedz
02-16-2006, 02:48 AM
they run rich from factory and like they said check the plugs easy idicator

Anthony D
02-16-2006, 03:16 AM
take it to a dyno that monitors a/f ration, and go from there. imo, it is well worth the money to find out how your motor is doing.

Anthony D
take it to a dyno that monitors a/f ratio, and go from there. imo, it is well worth the money to find out how your motor is doing.

K600R
Also look inside the tip of your pipe. If its thick black or alot of it, its on the rich side. Its there isn't much or any at all or a white tent, its running on the lean side. Generally bikes run fine from the factory unless you modded the bike with a map.

I got a bright blue tint to my pipe. http://www.gixxer.com/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

.:1k:.
02-16-2006, 10:38 AM
What symptoms are you experiencing that would lead you to believe its a fuel delivery problem?

alex_howard_2001
02-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Before I had motor work done, I was told my bike was running lean because I had it for less than 2 weeks and my pipe was deep blue too soon. So some guys I ride with said that my bike was running lean. Lee told me it was not when I took it to him. But I just want to know how to tell myself. My bike sounds a little different than other bikes with the stock can but I am assuming that is because of the motor work. I have not changed plugs since I bought the bike. So I figure its way past due.

RussZTT
02-16-2006, 12:38 PM
I had a dude tell my that my bike was running lean cause my Akra was turning blue. That just told me how little he know..

Kidder
02-16-2006, 01:11 PM
they run rich from factory and like they said check the plugs easy idicator

I always thought bikes from the factory came on the lean side so they'd pass the emissions tests with no issues.

.:1k:.
02-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Before I had motor work done, I was told my bike was running lean because I had it for less than 2 weeks and my pipe was deep blue too soon. So some guys I ride with said that my bike was running lean. Lee told me it was not when I took it to him. But I just want to know how to tell myself. My bike sounds a little different than other bikes with the stock can but I am assuming that is because of the motor work. I have not changed plugs since I bought the bike. So I figure its way past due.

how old is the bike?

alex_howard_2001
02-17-2006, 12:28 AM

how old is the bike?

I have the '03 zuk1k

RussZTT
02-17-2006, 06:54 AM
What is all done to the bike. Do you have the PClll on it?

alex_howard_2001
02-17-2006, 08:15 AM
What is all done to the bike. Do you have the PClll on it?

stg3 kit,porting head-mod, valves-springs-cams-stacks-pair kit-cam chain tensioner, pcIII, custom map, TRE JSD switchable, -1front, stock exhaust (use to have hotbodies undertail , they dyno then was 170rwhp from Lee's and local dealer.)

Anthony D
02-17-2006, 09:35 AM
the stock exhaust is probably causing some issues with all the mods you have, and not letting out enough exhaust gases. get the full system on there asap, and get it remapped.