Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com - View Single Post - Rebuild #3: Cosmetics and some
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Gixxerider86
Amateur

Motorcycle: 1986 GSXR 815, 2002 Bandit 1200N
Re: Rebuild #3: Cosmetics and some

Im nearly done with this whole conversion / restomod thing, Ive pretty much worked every day for the past week and I have to say everything was pretty smooth sailing

the first thing I did was test fit the GSXR 1100 rear wheel. I reused the OEM axle and spacers, must use the 1100 hanger as the disc is larger. Perfect fit! Using a 180/55-17 Michelin Pilot Power tire, it gives a little less than a half inch of chain clearance and brake torque arm clearance. No modifications necessary here

next thing was bracing the swingarm. a CBR 900 payed as tribute, the tricky part here was fabbing the other supports. took to a local machine shop to get welded up as I don't have a fig welder

Once this was done it was time to install the new shock, a unit from an '06 Yamaha R1. this is a little bit longer than the original, the easiest way to get this sucker in is installing the shock bottom first and using a small scissors jack upside down under the top rails of the subframe to get the top bolt through. also the lower bearing area needs to be machined flat along the shock body on both sides to be able to squeeze in. with this and the braced arm installed, the top (compression?) adjuster is easily accessible with the side fairing off, of course, but the lower (rebound?) adjuster is a little tricky but still accessible

G86
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome