Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com - View Single Post - Rebuild #3: Cosmetics and some
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Gixxerider86
Amateur

Motorcycle: 1986 GSXR 815, 2002 Bandit 1200N
Re: Rebuild #3: Cosmetics and some

all my parts are starting to come in one by one, and I cannot wait to get started on this project! Ive got two gas tanks, the original one that came on the bike is still in my shed, untouched since it has a failed liner with rust behind it. the tank currently on my bike it dented up and needs paint. I might just clean up the original tank and use that one since its not dented, dent removal id imagine would be costly and might not get all of them out.

the liner in the old tank is unknown, but it looks pale yellow in color. Kreeme possibly? I know acetone works pretty good at taking that stuff off, wonder if it works just as good on any other liner. thinking ill fill the tank with that stuff and have it sit for several hours, with some shaking in between. pour it out, flush it out with water, then fill it with cider vinegar to eat the rust for another couple of hours. flush it, neutralize with baking soda, and recoat with red kote

either way, ill end up with two useable tanks at the end of the day, both will need new paint regardless

G86
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome