2006 600 k7 not starting - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Squid

2006 600 k7 not starting

So as the title says, bike doesn't start.

My bike had an oil leak from the water pump about a year ago. I fixed that after checking videos and forums. Was perfect afterwards. So with that done, I kept riding and all was fine. However, a few months ago, my bike started over heating. I followed every guide I could regarding refilling the radiator, mixtures and all of that. I did everything as specified but it seems my bike had a different issue.

The water kept boiling out from the reservoir. Eventually I parked her since this was just going to damage the engine. So my expectation is the water pump once again. I removed the thermostat but that however didn't make a difference. Instead of running cold for long, it still heats up quickly and gets way too hot if I stop riding, and I mean hot.

So I stripped off the fairings, drained the oil and water, removed the water pump and found that there's nothing wrong. The shaft turns as it should. It turns smoothly with a little resistance. If I pull on it, I can feel the oil seal holding that sucker very well in place. So I just replaced the housing seal and the o ring since I bought all the seals so might as well use them.

Mechanical seal and that other white and black seal I left out since removing the oil seal means having to use the heat gun to actually melt it. Also replaced the thermostat. So seems great, doesn't it? Well guess not. I have to remove the tank in order to get to the thermostat. I replaced the tank, the two pipes fitting into the tank and plugged the fuel pump back in with it's connector.

Reconnected the battery and switched her on. Now this is where my problems are starting. The oil and water has also been refilled by the way. So my secondary butterfly thingy on the side of the intakes has been disabled since the gears inside that thing are shot. So usually it just does the priming, push the button and immediate start.

Now I turn the key on and it only "half" primes. It doesn't go through the whole process. When I swing, the swings like made but doesn't start. It almost sounds like there's just little hint of wanting to start but nothing. Bike is in neutral, on a bike stand with the side stand up. So in my experience, should start immediately, but nothing!

So I read up and saw there are a lot of things I have to look at and this is going to probably take me a while since i'm no expert with this. But as for why not starting and overheating issue, anyone have any ideas?

Also, there's no water in the oil either. So don't know if that is the head gasket or not. I'm out of ideas and fed up to be honest. I've been without my bike for almost four months and I have no idea what to do anymore and I don't have the money to send it in to the dealership. That is just going to be insane.

Also, I didn't mess with the electrical stuff. Except for changing fuses.

Actually, mentioning fuses. I did check the fuses and found one, the high beam fuse, was blown so replaced it. But as I was checking them, removing the fuel pump fuses and replacing it, even with the bike off, the dials still go through the prime process. The needle runs to the end and back again. No idea if that means anything or not.

If you would like to see what happens, I can make a video and link it here during the weekend or so. Let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:23 AM
Both OG&I admitted we were wrong on 5/13/15

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM
Re: 2006 600 k7 not starting

The most obvious place to start is the battery. What is the voltage on it with key off and key on? No it's fine, we need numbers. As for the over heating, that could be the radiator cap not holding pressure. Could also be damaged filler neck on radiator so it doesn't seal.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:31 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

Another possibility regarding boiling and overheating is that the cooling system has not been properly bled. The radiator cap and neck which Samantha has pointed out, is indeed the most common problem, but whenever I've had problems with losing pressure, they lever led to overheating, at least judging by the coolant temperature indicator on the dashboard.

Rapid overheating points to lack of coolant circulation, which can be tested relatively easy, for instance by checking the radiator outlet host temperature, once the temperature has gone past 80C or so and the thermostat has opened (, or at least should have done so). On a stationary bike the temperature gradient across the radiator should be practically zero, I suppose, so that the outlet hose should be about the same temperature as the inlet hose, or, at any rate, pretty damn hot. If it's not, say it's at 50C or below, then whatever coolant is circulating is doing so locally through convection currents and not due to the pump. If that's the case, you need to troubleshoot why there's no circulation as soon as possible.

Regarding your starting problem and besides Samantha's suggestion, which seems the most likely, let us also know whether you're getting the normal coolant temperature reading at the lower right of your dash, or 'CHEC', or perhaps a flashing 'FI'.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Squid

I have made progress! Wooohoooo! It was the tip over relay thingy. There was a broken wire. That sucks but fixed that and bike started first time. So that's a big relief. I followed the dealer code instructions to get the code. So that's a big relief. As for the cooling problem.

As I said, I checked everything. I've bled it across all the points. Topped off the top to ensure there are no bubbles. Tipped bike side to side. Started and watched for bubbles and left it to stand. However, one issue. My bleed screw by the water pump itself has been stripped on the top by whoever did it before. So I'm going to have to file that down and replace it with another screw. But that being said.

I started the bike, let her stand and idle for a little bit and watched the temp gauge. It wasn't jumping up. Then I rode her just a little, not far. It went up to about 178F then I parked again and let continue idling and it dropped to 174F. So seems like something good is happening there. I haven't been able to test properly yet but I will soon as possible. Just need to get all the fairings back on, which is a hassle. But I'll get there eventually. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VengefulRat View Post
Then I rode her just a little, not far. It went up to about 178F then I parked again and let continue idling and it dropped to 174F. So seems like something good is happening there.
Seems to me like something weird is happening here. Why would the temperature drop once the bike is parked and idling? There's no airflow due to motion and the temperatures are not high enough for the fan to be on. Did you perchance notice the drop after shutting the engine down and restarting a bit later? In any case, all this is better than the previous state of course.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 01:03 AM
Both OG&I admitted we were wrong on 5/13/15

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM

Good you got it sorted now, let's talk about your thread title. 2006 K7? There is no such thing as a 2006 K7.

K5=2005
K6=2006
K7=2007
K8=2008
k9=2009
L0=2010
L1=2011
L2=2012

And so on, so you have a 2006 (K6) or a 2007 (K7) as it can't be both. If it's something like you have a 2006 with a 2007 plate, it's still a K6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode