GSXR750 Battery draining - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
GSXR750 Battery draining

I'm having excessive current draw on the bike.

Current leak test
Connected the meter in-line with the negative terminal and the post, get a reading of 160mA. Battery dies overnight

When pulling fuses, the current finally drops to zero after I pull the fuse for the Fuel Pump. I check the service manual, and test the fuel pump relay located under the seat with 12v from the battery. Relay clicks and works. Test for continuity across the other 2 connectors of the relay all good.

When I pull the fuel pump relay, the circuit still shows 160mA being drawn through, so the relay doesn't seem to be part of the problem. Checking the wiring diagram, one end goes to the relay, when I pull that no current drop (does that mean there's a short in between the fuse box and the fuel pump relay?) and the other side of the circuit from the fuse box goes to the speedometer...

Last edited by Samantha750; 02-16-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Re: Parasitic draw when ignition is off

I have a short somewhere on the fuel fuse circuit. What does everything run of that fuse ao i can start unplugging conectors until the drain goes away...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Starts up first time every time .. i just unplug the fuse but this is getting annoying...

any expert wiring help would be much appreciated

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:25 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalo Calo View Post
When I pull the fuel pump relay, the circuit still shows 160mA being drawn through, so the relay doesn't seem to be part of the problem. Checking the wiring diagram, one end goes to the relay, when I pull that no current drop (does that mean there's a short in between the fuse box and the fuel pump relay?) and the other side of the circuit from the fuse box goes to the speedometer...
Could you rephrase that more clearly? "One end" of what goes to the relay and what to do you pull for the current draw to go away?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

thankyou for the reply dpapavas
..when i pull the fuel fuse the drraw goes away .. pull the fuel relay and the draw is still there.. pull the fuel pump plug and the draw is still there.. what els is on the fuel fuse circuit that i can unplug to see if the draw goes away and locate the short?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:23 AM
Both OG&I admitted we were wrong on 5/13/15

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM
Re: GSXR750 Battery draining

You need a service manual/wiring diagram. Maybe irrelevant but when you changed the K7 engine into to your K9 frame, did you keep the K9 rectifier or did you replace it with the K6/7 which sits behind the radiator?

NOTE: Changed the thread title to your other thread title.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

i used the k9 rectifier could that be the problem.. when i disconnect the rectifier the current draw is stil there
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

any pro's on this forum guys please help its my 3rd battery
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:40 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalo Calo View Post
thankyou for the reply dpapavas
..when i pull the fuel fuse the drraw goes away .. pull the fuel relay and the draw is still there.. pull the fuel pump plug and the draw is still there.. what els is on the fuel fuse circuit that i can unplug to see if the draw goes away and locate the short?
According to the K6/7 wiring diagram (is this K9 wiring we're talking about?), you should try to unplug the following devices: fan relay, ECU, fuel pump relay, all four ignition coils and the ignition key-lock switch. Do them one connector at a time of course and see what happens. If the drain goes away when the ECU is disconnected, the problem might be not with the ECU itself, but with devices driven by it, such as the fuel injectors, so some more troubleshooting will be necessary.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

GiveThanks to the Gixxer Yoda's ....

BATTERY CURRENT LEAKAGE
Remove the front seat. (8-7)
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Disconnect the battery - lead wire.
Measure the current between - battery terminal and the -
battery lead wire using the multi-circuit tester. If the reading
exceeds the specified value, leakage is evident.
-09900-25008: Multi-circuit tester set
-Battery current (leak): Under 3 mA
-Tester knob indication: Current (, 20 mA)

I wil try what you have suggested. i recently unpluged the black plug of the ecu and the draw goes away. so maybe i have a faulty ecu .. i have non coded k7 wiring harness with a 02H00 ECU that has been flashed to US spec 02H10 so could this just be the ecu that shorts out..?
next i wil disconnect all four ignition coils and 8 injectors one by one and post what happens.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:16 AM
Stupid. Who's with me?

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & Million Edition 1000
Garage

Since you pulled the relay with no affect, just leave it. But, unplug everything down stream from the relay. If you follow the diagram, the power goes to the coils, the PAIR solenoid, the ECU, and cooling fan relay.

If you still have a leak it's going to get hard to find. If you unplug the right switch pod, it could be the pod, or any wiring downstream from it. Also the kickstand relay is between the fuse box and switch pod. All the stuff I listed first is really easy to troubleshoot. The pod and kickstand relay, not so much. Let us know what you find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode