Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Ignition Coil Conundrum

580 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Jiggy7Fiddy 
#1 ·
I am not exactly new to gixxer.com, I have used it as a resource (a very good one at that) but I have finally made an account which should of happened long ago.

Here's where the problem started, I went to turn the bike on and as soon as I turned the kill switch on pop went the ignition fuse. After time and testing narrowed it down to the coils side of the circuit (black and which owners manual wiring diagrams are great -.-).

The coils test out at 1.5ohm within Suzuki's specifications.
Tested power and ground side continuity from ecu connector to coil plugs, all have continuity.
Tested current draw though the ignition system kill switch on with no coils attached .68A at the fuse box nothing alarming
Tested current draw with just 2 coils plugged in kill switch on 9.2A (dropping as they heat up) at the fuse box this is a bit alarming.
Kill switch on I checked the ground continuity at the coil connection, my Fluke didn't beep to indicate continuity but when I ohm'd it out it was showing 15.5 mega ohm on all four coil connections which is telling me that there is a connection being made to complete the circuit on all four coils (correct me please of I am wrong).
If there are any other areas I should check, please let me know.

I have searched to find a better understanding on how the suzuki ignition system should work for better diagnosis. I know it works off ground switching. My question would be should it be completing the circuit through the coil all the time then switch the ground off to cause the coil to fire? Or does it call for the ground connection to build the coil charge then switch it off to cause it to fire?

As of right now, all the coils seem to be completing the circuit which is way more amperage than the systems fuse can take.

I have checked the CDI/Crank sensor and it checks out, I was making sure it wasn't consistently calling for a ground if it shouldn't be.

Trying to get the bike ready for spring and some good rides.

I appreciate any help I can get, thank you guys ahead of time.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.