Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

New member and I need help bad

848 views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Anthony D 
#1 ·
Ok first of all I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking ever since I bought my 06 600 this past spring I do a lot of research on here and today was the first day I've come across something that I can't completely find my answer after hours of search and read. Last thursday I was on my way home from work and my bike just completely shut off at about 40mph no lights no fuel pump cycle no anything when I turn the key so I figured since I had taken the battery out to put in my wife's Ktm390 till she got her new one I thought the battery terminal wiggled it way loose and sure enough it did not so I hauled it home and started digging into it and found that the 30amp fuse was blow so I threw another in turned the key and pop it blew that one too so I did alittle research and found that it could be the r/r so I unplugged it and threw a fuse in and turned the key and I had everything. So i plugged one wire off the r/r into it and fuse stayed good so i unplugged it and tried the other and i still had everything so I went ahead and plugged Both in again and pop there went the fuse. Sooooo my question is my r/r bad orrrrr is it when I plug it in it completes the circuit And shorts out somewhere else I'm gonna try to do some research to figure out how to test it with my multimeter but I'm kinda stuck at this point. As far as I know my stator is in good working order as I've never had a problem with my battery going dead or anything of that matter. The bike has about 22k miles and this is the first issue as so my knowledge and the previous owners knowledge which has known the bike since new

See less See more
#3 ·
Please search the site. These issues have been discussed literally 100's of times here.

The K6-L0 600/750 have notoriously bad charging systems. It isn't even worth guessing until we know exactly what the stator tests at, the reg/rec tests at, and the battery tests at (key off, idle, 5k rpm).

If a fuse is blowing though, you might have a wiring issue as well. Trace the harness from the reg/rec and stator back to the ecu and see if any wires or connectors look fried or loose.

And don't be so demanding... Not a good look for a new member who didn't introduce themselves and is immediately asking for help and not being patient about it.

#7 ·
The K6-L0 600/750 have notoriously bad charging systems.
I kinda have to disagree with the above statement as I have not seen but maybe one rectifier going bad on the K8-L0 but the K6-K7 certainly are well documented as having bad charging system due to where the rectifier is located. Now, with that being said, the K8-L0 bikes have had two rectifier recalls. I never even heard of the last one but when my bike was taken in for the master cylinder recall, I was told my rectifier had yet again been replaced due to a recall. Maybe I'm just misinformed about there being an issue but have not seen any threads to substantiate this unless I missed it in my absence from this site which was regrettably too long.

#5 ·
Ok, so test the stator, reg/rec, and battery with the key off and give us the results.

#9 ·
Ok so I did alittle work on the k6 today I the battery is reading 11.98 key off and 10.29 with key off,30amp fuse in and r/r plugged in (fuse blows as soon as key is turned on) the r/r becomes almost to hot to touch when it's plugged in and I did the service manual check on the r/r today and it says it's bad but I'm wondering if there could be a short that is burning it up I can't find a melted wire or anything anywhere but when I did a diode/continuity check on the stator plug it gave me a beep sound no matter where the probes were put. Is this normal? I'm a half assed garage mechanic but I try I'm just afraid to buy another r/r and burn it up because another problem that I'm missing is it possible to have a short somewhere in the r/r itself?

#10 ·
Hey Dub,

I think you already have good advice on fix'n your problem.

For me, could you punctuate just a wee bit more?
I'm not really trying to bitch, but those huge run-ons are killing me.

And no, I don't teach English

Good luck with your reepair

#13 ·
My first suspect for the battery is that it's crapping out. Try charging the battery and let it rest for 2 hours, then check the voltage again. If below 12.5v either charge it some more or replace the battery. Is the rectifier hot with key off without starting the bike? The rectifier sits idle till the bike is started then it converts the power and dumps excessive voltage and regulates how much current flows to the battery, if that makes sense. Either search like I said and/or unplug everything. Then reconnect one thing at a time and when the fuse pops, you'll know what wires you need to check. Has the rectifier been relocated or is it still behind the radiator? I'm guessing the rectifier is bad and allowed excessive current to go to the battery.

#18 ·
:thumbup

Make sure you relocate it to the left side frame spar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.