Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Is this safe

633 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  oldgixxer 
#1 ·
Of course when I was taking my front tire off I stripped my pinch Bolt. After days of trying easy out vice grips and everything else that I can think of I want up drilling it out and obviously wasn't straight. I wound up doing this.
Here's my question. So with the three other pinch bolts is this safe to ride with. Don't have the funds right now to buy a new Fork and that black casting at the bottom of the floor does not look like it can be changed without changing the whole Fork. And being that all the way from the bike is on the top of the axle shaft not the bottom where that hole is now do you think it would be safe to ride.
If not I was thinking about drilling a quarter inch hole through the casting and through the shop itself so that it does not move or maybe having a welder weld a washer at the end of the axle shaft so that it cannot slide through the other hole.
What do you guys think?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You stripped the nut/head of the bolt off? Then couldn't get it out with vice grips?

That looks really screwed up- Try a motorcycle bone yard if there is one near you?

#3 ·
I have seen some race teams run with only one pinch bolt in the axles, but they were torqued properly and safety wired. Unless you are going to do both those things, no, it isn't safe.

#6 ·
Yes, they will. I think the fork tube is different colors though.

#7 ·
Is it 100% safe? No.
Have I seen people make do with 3 pinch bolts and never have an issue? Yes.

Best course of action to remedy would be replace the fork leg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.