Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Clutch cable or transmission issue?

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Just_Nick 
#1 ·
Trying to diagnose an issue im having with my 2006 gsxr 600. Looked through lots of threads but couldnt find what i need. So first off my bike has been doing this thing when i turn it off and go to start relatively soon it dosnt want to start. Today i was riding home and it seemed like my clutch lever had a little more play than usuall, thinking this may be my issue with the not starting thing i tightened it up and loosened it a little just tryed to make it feel normal. Now the lever feels fine but it shifts good from N - 1 -2 then its like a hard shift into 3rd and 4th 5th and 6th are like delayed, i hit the shifter up and it dosnt do anything for a second, makes an audable little click and then shifts. What the fuck did i do and how do i fix it. All gears were working on my way home so i lean away from trans and more tward me fucking it up messing with the clutch lever adjustment thumbwheel. I appricate any help i can get. Sorry if this has been covered.

#3 ·
When you do a clutch adjustment, you need to adjust it at all three points, not just at the lever.

As for the bike not wanting to start when it is hot, that is more likely due to a failing charging system. Test your stator, reg/rec, and battery according to the service manual, and report back to us with the results.

Attachments

#6 ·
No, not really... But before you start ripping apart your transmission, you should do everything possible to eliminate the issue.

Clutch adjustment and chain adjustment are top on the list. You want between 1.25"-1.5" of chain slack.

#8 ·
Ok so i did step one,screwed the clutch lever thumbwheel all the way in so there is lots of slack in my lever. Went under the tank, broke the lock nut lose and now im confused, it says to turn the clutch cable adjuster to obtain proper cable play. Kind of vague and i dont know what the proper adjustment is.

Attachments

#9 ·
What im trying to say is with the thumbwheel screwed in all the way to the lever assembly i cannot twist the other end of the clutch cable (under tank) enough in either direction to take the slack out of the lever. Am i just supose to tighten the cable as much as i can under the tank then do the rest with thumbwheel?

#11 ·
You are trying to create as much slack in the cable as possible before adjusting the clutch so that the cable isn't creating tension on the clutch. Once the clutch is adjusted (4 and 5 from the manual) use the locking threads under the tank to acquire the proper slack at the lever noted at the end of the page.

The adjustment at the lever is mostly for convenience so you can make up for plate wear and cable stretch in between the normal schedule, if needed.

#10 ·
You're supposed to loosen the cable fully, by adjusting the thumbwheel and the adjuster under the tank to remove all tension, then adjust the adjusting screw (which is behind the access hole on the right side of the engine) as shown in post #3. Once you've done that, you will use the under-the-seat cable adjustment to adjust the cable for proper level play (10-15mm, assuming you have the stock lever). This way you can just the thumbwheel over time to adjust travel as the cable stretches.

#13 ·
Be sure to lube the cable... MotionPro makes a cool cable-lubing tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.