Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

K7 750 . Hard start/ smell of gas

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  JojoAnaya 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a K7 750 recently out of no where she has been starting really rough . I have to pull the throttle And she will start . She sounds really throaty and smoke comes out and smells like has . I changed out the plugs they have about 4K miles so I thought that was strange . Cylinder 1 was darker than 2,3 & 4 . I changed them anyways . Thought the problem would go away . Started great then I took a ride I turned her off and then back on then she did it again . I filled the parking lot of smoke . Idk what to do next . I let her run for a few minutes and doesn't throw any codes. . After she warms up Shes fine . Mods are k&n . Full M4 exhaust , Bazzaz

#2 ·
Started great then I took a ride I turned her off and then back on then she did it again . I filled the parking lot of smoke . Idk what to do next . I let her run for a few minutes and doesn't throw any codes. . After she warms up Shes fine . Mods are k&n . Full M4 exhaust , Bazzaz
So when you say you "turned her off and then back on" and she wasn't running right, do you mean you immediately switched her back on? When the engine was still warm from the ride? Because then you say that "After she warms up Shes fine" which seems to indicate otherwise.

Does the fast idle work? How cold it is outside? Does the coolant temperature indicator work properly (showing reasonable temperatures)?

#3 ·
Could be an indication that ignition coil #1 is going bad, but not bad enough to throw a code yet. Have you tested anything yet?

And like dpapavas asked, what is your cold idle/hot idle rpm set at? Cold idle should be around 1,700rpm, hot idle should be 1,250rpm.

#4 ·
Try unplugging the wire harness plug to the IAP sensor on the right side of the throttle body next time. Requires removing the seat, side fairing knee plates and lifting the tank. The ECM will default to a fixed map for IAP. The hoses or FI unions have been known to gum up and cause improper reading from the IAP sensor.

Could be loose or leaking vacuum hose to the IAP sensor. Or Bazzaz maybe.

#5 ·
DPapavas- in the morning I go to turn her on and I have to give her gas just to start up and she does a weird idle with a smell of gas . After I get her warmed up and go on a ride I just turn the key off then on just to see if she would do it and she does a the weird idle / smell of gas and smoke . and also have to give her gas to get her running again even tho the bike is already in operation temperature. I live in Az and it's around 60 in the morning nothing cold . The Temp gauge works nothing out of the ordinary .
ANTHONY. I'm not sure I'll check when I get home .
KAWI . I'll give that a shot thanks guys

#7 ·
in the morning I go to turn her on and I have to give her gas just to start up and she does a weird idle with a smell of gas . After I get her warmed up and go on a ride I just turn the key off then on just to see if she would do it and she does a the weird idle / smell of gas and smoke . and also have to give her gas to get her running again even tho the bike is already in operation temperature. I live in Az and it's around 60 in the morning nothing cold . The Temp gauge works nothing out of the ordinary .
So how long does it take to "warm up", meaning to start working properly, when it's cold and when it's warm? Also, does the ECU maintain a high idle when starting cold?

I'm thinking perhaps the sensors determining fast idle and fuel enrichment are not supplying proper information to the ECU. Since the water coolant gauge seems to be working correctly, that only leaves the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor, I believe.

After you disconnect the IAP sensor as kwaka10r suggests, if that doesn't solve the problem, try disconnecting the IAT sensor as well (after reconnecting the IAP). Best to try it when the engine is reasonably warm and when it's not too cold outside. The ECU will assume that intake air is at 40 deg. C. See if that fixes your problem.

#11 ·
Alright gents . I thought my problem went away but it just got a little worse . I noticed my gas was gone within 1 day of fueling up after only putting 20 miles . I saw a puddle under the bike . But then I noticed oil on my headers . Idk if it's a blown head gasket or ?! She's still doing the same shit .

#13 ·
Sounds like it... Do a compression and leakdown test and you will see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.