Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

2 issues: starting and coolant pump

954 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  xaznperswaesonx 
#1 ·
1st. I don't think the coolant pump is working. I filled the radiator once and try to burp the system but the level wont go down unless its boiling over(leaving the cap off). I squeeze the tubes(any of the lower ones) and the water level rises. Is there a sure way to check if its working or not or does it only kick on at a certain temp? Or maybe I didn't have to burp it somehow?

2nd and this one has me completely stumped with no clue what to do. It will not start unless i put starting fluid into it. Just a quick shot into the intakes and it'll fire right up. The confusing part is that it is getting fuel and spark and will continue running for as long as I let it. I've had it running 5+ minutes revving the engine and it wont die, but if I shut it off and try to start again it won't go until it has more starting fluid :wtf

#2 ·
I had a hell of a time burping my coolant when I drained it to powdercoat the water pump cover.

Remove the water pump cover and get all the coolant out of the system.
Top it up and run the bike for a minute or so while blipping the throttle.
Top it up and it's a wrap!

#4 ·
talking it over with a buddy, he suggested swapping the fuel relay. His tought was that if that has weak voltage passing then it could keep it from pushing enough fuel to the injectors. I did this and it fired up without hesitation. I'll keep trying just in case its a fluke some how or if it fired because the engine is warm now at 100F.

#5 ·
for bleeding, look at page 7-11 in the manual. another thing you can do if you have frame sliders is lean the bike fully on the left side with the rad cap off for a minute, run the bike for a minute, repeat. i do it every time i change water.

#8 ·
Yea sometimes when I fill mine it doesn't need burped other times it does. You will know though. Just start the bike and let it warm up. It should warm up nice and slow, but if it gets to hot shut it off.

If you want to test if its working crack the bleeder bolt on the water pump cover. Mine will shoot out if removed

#11 ·
Running.

Bike running , water pump should too. With bleeder open, bike running, at warmed temp assuming no air in the system :

- coolant squirts out at bleeder = water pump is operational
- coolant doesn't squirt out = water pump the brokeh!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.