Why does the Rectifier/ Regulator go bad? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Novice

Why does the Rectifier/ Regulator go bad?

I was out on a ride and coming to stop at a red light I squeezed the clutch and the bike just died. Pulled over, popped the fuses to find out that the 30amp blew. I had a spare, but as soon I put it in, it blew again, then borrowed a friend 30amp, blew again . Uhaled the bike home and spent the weekend with the bike and a multimeter. Figured out it was the Rectifier/Regulator that went bad, ordered another one and the bike is up and running strong.

What I want to know is what causes the Rectifier/Regulator to malfunction? There are no burnt wires or connectors and it looks exactly like the new one I ordered, so what gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 06 750
Re: Why does the Rectifier/ Regulator go bad?

A few people have had them go bad. My stator and rectifier/regulator went out at 30K miles, then the rectifier again 5K later(the dealership thought it was a bad refurbished one they put in the first time)... thank goodness for extended warranties
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheme84 View Post
I was out on a ride and coming to stop at a red light I squeezed the clutch and the bike just died. Pulled over, popped the fuses to find out that the 30amp blew. I had a spare, but as soon I put it in, it blew again, then borrowed a friend 30amp, blew again . Uhaled the bike home and spent the weekend with the bike and a multimeter. Figured out it was the Rectifier/Regulator that went bad, ordered another one and the bike is up and running strong.

What I want to know is what causes the Rectifier/Regulator to malfunction? There are no burnt wires or connectors and it looks exactly like the new one I ordered, so what gives?
Exactly the same thing happened to me a few days ago. Turned out the rectifier was burnt. Still trying to get a replacement now. Like you, am also interested in knowing what could have caused the rectifier to fry. I have a fairly new bike, an 07 GSXR 750, with only 16000 KMS (not miles) on it. The only thing I did recently was to install a TRE about 1500 KMS prior.
post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Rookie

Heat. Bikes get hot and the byproduct of the RR is heat. Dissipation is done through fins on the RR but over time as heat builds up and the metal degrades, RR's go out. Notoriously on a few certain bikes.
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vort3xR6 View Post
Heat. Bikes get hot and the byproduct of the RR is heat. Dissipation is done through fins on the RR but over time as heat builds up and the metal degrades, RR's go out. Notoriously on a few certain bikes.
Thanks. Perhaps more so for us here in the Philippines. Riding here can get very hot sometimes, particularly now that it's summer. My mechanic suggested that we install the new rectifier in a different place, not so near the exhaust headers. Is that ok?
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Rookie

If I remember correctly ours is right behind the radiator which is an ideal spot being that wind hits it. You can try mounting it elsewhere but make sure it has sufficient air flow.
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Squid

Ok thanks! Will discuss with mechanic when replacement RR arrives. Attaching pic of burnt rectifier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 317.jpg (73.4 KB, 1359 views)
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Back Marker

Motorcycle: GSXR600K7

Crazy you ride in the Philippines! I was there for the first time in 1999. I couldn't imagine riding the streets there.
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 01:03 AM
Superbike Champ

Mine went out for the 3rd time now at 45K..... next time I'm gonna install it somewhere else I think
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:26 AM
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellogsxr View Post
Crazy you ride in the Philippines! I was there for the first time in 1999. I couldn't imagine riding the streets there.
Yes, it can be quite crazy riding here, but one gets used to it. Besides, there's nowhere else for us to ride.

I belong to a group of sportsbike riders here. We go fast, but try to be safe by focusing on skills development. Let me know if you happen to visit and want to ride.
post #11 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:27 AM
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Mine went out for the 3rd time now at 45K..... next time I'm gonna install it somewhere else I think
Any idea what could be a good spot?
post #12 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 08:25 AM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600

why not just make a custom bracket from some sheet metal to guard it from the header heat? and apply exhaust wrap on the bracket. kinda like an after market intake. you guys know what i mean?
post #13 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Back Marker

Motorcycle: k8

mine went at about 17k thank god for ebay
post #14 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 750k6

Look for pics of the Vesrah Suzuki and m4 racebikes from 06. They all mounted the rectifier on the frame rail left hand side of the engine. The only bare spot of the frame not covered by fairing. Pretty neat.
post #15 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR600

Mine went out a few months ago too. Took me a while to figure out that the R/R was bad because the diode test I performed on it several time showed nothing wrong with it. Do aftermarket ones exist?
post #16 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Superbike Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmvarela View Post
Any idea what could be a good spot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStricken View Post
why not just make a custom bracket from some sheet metal to guard it from the header heat? and apply exhaust wrap on the bracket. kinda like an after market intake. you guys know what i mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningMan View Post
Look for pics of the Vesrah Suzuki and m4 racebikes from 06. They all mounted the rectifier on the frame rail left hand side of the engine. The only bare spot of the frame not covered by fairing. Pretty neat.
Both good ideas. Also I saw on the 1000's from similiar years and maybe even newer years they're mounted under the tail near the rear shock.... seems like a pretty good spot too
post #17 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Novice

Motorcycle: 07 GSXR 600 & 03 GSXR 750

On my 07 600 both my Stator and RR went on me with only 1,300 miles or 8-10 trackdays on the bike (track only bike). Went through tons of 30 fuses trying to figure out what the problem was. It took the shop sometime to figure out it was the stator and RR.

The issue is heat as was stated earlier in this thread. I got a good deal used parts and installed them. I've only had the bike on the track once since. I'll see how this season goes. I'm keeping my eyes open for cheap parts to have as back up, in case this happens again.

I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul
post #18 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Novice

Hmm...then how about adding a fan to the RR. I'm thinking a computer fan should work, its small, efficient, and pretty strong (definitely a weekend project).

Also can someone post pics of the Versah or M4 Suzuki with the RR mounted other than the OEM position.
post #19 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 10:29 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: Stretched and slammed Busa

How about Suzuki re engineer the part and it's location instead of us having to do it for them.
post #20 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Novice

Motorcycle: 07 GSXR 600 & 03 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraiderr View Post
How about Suzuki re engineer the part and it's location instead of us having to do it for them.
Brilliant!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode