Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

removing seat/cowl without key?

44K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  mikehume 
#1 ·
So i learned allot this weekend. picked up a new bike after mines was stolen a couple weeks back. have to pretty much put her together (cosmetically anyways). so swapped out tank this weekend. finally learned how to do the exhaust. it amazes/upsets me how much i paid the shop to do some of this crap before. then again that’s why im tryna learn. anyway in my haste in putting things on. i put my new tail section on but forgot to swap the key/lock and well i put the seat on :hammer. so as you can figure its stuck on there. any suggestions to getting it off. cant take the tail section off now cuz the seat is locked on. i tried taking off the under cowl to the tail section but cant get to where the seat lock release is.

:scratch anyone

#3 ·
Cant say I can help but just wanted to say good luck and good on ya for learning to do stuff on your own. One of my goals is to get proficient in some more repair/maintenance areas this season. Anyway, its your thread. Good luck dude and congrats on getting a new bike

#7 ·
Its amazing how easy most this stuff is. As soon as i learn somthin i get pissed i ever took it to shop. like paying 120 for them to put on slip on. took me 20 min minus taking off fairings. thought taking tank off and the pump out would be hard as hell. 15 min!!!!!

#4 ·
man it hapent to me also wile i was changing fairings....not exactly but i had remove the lock to fix something and then i put the seat on....so i dint have any key to open it...
what i did i dont know if will help you couse i dint have any fairings on...
but if youmanage to unscrew the bolts of the Seat that holds the helmet holder then you remove the seat easy...but youneed to remove the back side fairings i dont know if you try bending them a bit will help.

Where is your back up key??

#6 ·
i have my keys. its the actual lock that is missing. i was swapping them out and was getting frustrated tryna put the lock in (bitch is tricky) so just put the fairings on and put the seat on to0, not thinking that i wouldnt be able to get it off. i just dont want to start pulling apart fairings. i just bought em.

#8 ·
if the cable is connected and you just don't have THAT key cuz it's a fairing you bought second hand, well, you can try picking the lock, shouldn't be too hard...

I did that mistake when putting my tail back on last weekend, but I had the cowl on, and I had forgotten to clip the cable back. The cowl is easier because there's an indent so you can hang a helmet, I managed to grab the release mechanism from the indent with a folded metal rod...

Good luck!

#9 ·
the cable is discconected. there is a hole where the lock/key should go. i took out the lock/key from my old set and just didnt put it in new ones yet. so cant pic lock.

think ill try gettin a hanger and seeng if i cant grabit somehow. dont care bout the seat just dont want to mess up the fairings.

#11 ·
tried that already. thought i had a pretty good shot with that but you cant reach the pull thingy that unlocks it. ill spend a couple hrs this weekend on it. mite cut up seat as a last resort. see if i cant break it bit by bit till i get where i can get to the pull tab to release it.

#15 ·
I took the tail section off my bike once and never hooked up the cable from the lock cylinder. I installed the cowl, not the seat without the lock working. I was able to pry it up a bit on the left side and slide a coat hanger in there to pop it loose. Took some time and a lot pf patience though!

#16 ·
yea im pretty sure ill get it off. just gona take some time. rite now it has a small wood stick going through it to help pry it open. need to wait till mourning thoough. cant see shyt. need a flash light. i was thinking coat hanger but go figure no wire coat hanger in the house (the wood stick is from a coat hanger)

#18 ·
do wat cinder sed i actually used a hanger but it just pulls toward you........plus theres a gap from the seat cowl and stuff already just slide it in jiggle jiggle and wallalalalalala

#21 ·
Yeah, if you can get a hold of the cable somehow and pull on it, it will unlock. You need a long skinny needle nose, or alligator clips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.