2009 GSX650F - Downshifting problem - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Squid

2009 GSX650F - Downshifting problem

Hi!

My gearbox randomly stucks when downshifting from 5th to 4th and from 3rd to 2nd. It does it only after intensive and longer riding. When it's cold everything is OK Last night I did inspection for something loose in the gear shift change mechanism, but everything looks tight and neat. When we spin the rear tyre and try to change gear we spotted that the small lever with the bearing stays in the shown position and the shift drum gets stucked and needs some help to spin (chech the position on the attached photo).

The bike is only 1900 miles since 2009 and it last owner did only 80 miles last year with it. The last oil change was May 2016 and we noticed some corrosion on the metal plates on the clutch, which leads us to think that the bike was not driven regularly just as preventive maintenance. I'm thinking of couple of possible problems - issue with the shift drum shafts (corroded or poluted), issue with the shift forks (bent but I have no idea how you can bend this thing...), or something else really stupid, for which we have no clue...

Before taking out the engine and open the gearbox just want to make sure that we're not missing something. Any ideas? It makes the sticking problem very rare and usually it does it just once, but last weekend it really was bad after some aggressive riding it didn't want to go from 5th to 4th no matter what. I had to turn off the engine, put the bike on the stand for 10min and wait to cool dow a little bit, and than I managed to get into lower gear. But after few miles it started again sticking between 5th and 4th... This time with a little bit harder kick was going into 4th gear.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18578926_1245966995530463_1647285483_n.jpg (11.9 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode