new here - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike
new here

Well I read all the posts here and honestly don't know what to say. I'll start by saying I will soon be graduating with a business degree and criminal justice degree and started my business 1.5 months ago so i'm very new at this.

I think the proposed rules are great, my only concern is that sales (limited time) shouldn't have a min. price set. Sponsors should be able to beat ebay prices, froogle, and other cheap places out there. Not for full time prices, but for one or two week specials. I started a galfer wave rotor sale and said I would beat the lowest price members can find online. I looked at 520 shipped is the lowest so I believe my price will be 510. This will only go for 2 weeks max, but isn't it helping the members and good for the site to have specials at times that beat other prices by a tad? I read all in the vendor section and if anyone has a problem, just pm me. I'm very easy going...

As for a business? I'm small and thus have noticed things. If I set the same price as larger businesses w/ a customer base and never low them at times why would anyone buy from me? As for this map or manufacturers lowest advertised price rule go, it's crap and here is why...

1. It only goes for advertised prices as they can't enforce private deals. tobefast.com prices matches EVERYTHING to keep their customers. Now if you can't enforce a rule, it shouldn't be a rule. If people can get away with it, they will.

2. I've contacted crg and afam and other places about big businesses selling under their min price and they said they would PROMPTLY take care of it. 1.5 mo later nothing has changed and I can't get one sale unless it's in private and i drop my price. I think that shows the manufacturers are giving me a big hunk of bull and not enforcing this "min price". they are setting these to keep their dealers happy but don't enforce it because they don't want to lose the big business sales. So with it like this why should myself (small business) follow the rules? I follow them I make no sales and if i don't I make sales until they drop me, which they don't seem to do, but maybe they will since i'm a small fry.

I've learned business is dirty. I'm not dirty and I hate this about it, but it's a fact of business that i'm learning. I set my crg and afam prices to follow the rules and i'm proudly paying for it by making no sales.

I don't have a storefront so my product line is small, but I will say if anyone has a problem w/ a sale of mine or anything just contact me and we can discuss it. I try to stay out of the politics side of business. I know longer will complain about people selling under map or anything as it does nothing. This is the manufacturers problem, not the dealers and the dealers can't fix this problem...just the manufacturers. Our economy is based on capitalism and wal mart proved it and if you don't think it's only a matter of time before the "wal mart" model hits performance parts and other areas of the economy you are heavily ignorant. It will come...and the internet is making it happen quicker and quicker.

As for the rules I think they are a good idea.

Brian I truly think you have a class act operation going on here by taking care of your sponsors and members at the same time.

Well I just wanted to introduce myself mostly...that is all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 07:56 AM
P B
Lifetime Premium

Re: new here

Quote:
...people selling under map or anything as it does nothing. This is the manufacturers problem, not the dealers and the dealers can't fix this problem...just the manufacturers.
Well, unless the dealers work with the manufacturers to correct the problem.

Quote:
Our economy is based on capitalism and wal mart proved it and if you don't think it's only a matter of time before the "wal mart" model hits performance parts and other areas of the economy you are heavily ignorant. It will come...and the internet is making it happen quicker and quicker.
Yes, and there will always be a niche for companies that can provide personal service and highly knowledgable staff, which does naturally carry a higher price tag. A friggen monkey could sell at cost+8, but they won't make much money, and certainly will not be able to give a superior level of service at that price. Try going into Walmart and finding someone who (a) remembers you from one visit to the next or (b) knows anything detailed about the products they sell. Hell I can't even get three people to give me the same answer about what aisle something is in when I go there (I actually have tried this experiment). If I want bargain basement, or already know everything I need to about a product, I go to a place like Walmart (or it's internet motorcycle equivalent). If I want a vendor who remembers things like the kind of bike I ride, or even my name, I gravitate towards places which cost a little more, but ultimately make it worthwhile.

I understand the power of "price sells", but if watching the dynamics of other industries has taught me anything it's that smaller shops which cater to a customer's other needs will still find their place.

I think you're just experiencing "new business growing pains", which are ever prevalent in this industry. Trying to compete enough to establish yourself is hard, plain and simple. It takes a long time, and a lot of determination to be successful at this if you're just selling parts and stuff like everyone else. Give it time...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

pb i agree, but when you tell a manufacturer that someone is selling under map and they do nothing, it's all on them after that. I've only dealt w/ two companies about this, but in both cases nothing was done and almost 2 months has passed.

I agree that customer service does go along way. There are two markets out there from what I see. Those who want to do it all themself and care only about getting the lowest price and those that want service w/ it and will pay a little for that.

Only real problems I've had is manufacturers not enforcing their map and some minor paypal issues. I know trying to start a business will take a long time and that's okay. I think it's fairly natural and I expected that.

It's nice to see in here that people help each other w/ information like what merchant to use, paypal issues, etc...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:38 AM
P B
Lifetime Premium

The bottom feeders will always exist, looking for the best price. If catering to them is your bag, have at it. Personally I would rather discourage them from shopping with me, because they do nothing but drain my resources on shit I get nothing out of. Occasionally I try to help out a friend or something, but I had one guy I know actually approach me, not saying "hey I know this isn't the norm but can ya help me out here?" but rather "well so and so can do it for this price, so if you want my business you'll have to beat that". I think I'd have made a buck or two on a hundred dollar sale - not worth it. I blew him off, and after talking to some other local shops I think they've started doing the same. He'll find the level of service he now receives shopping via the internet lowball shops is not what he's come to expect, but ya can't help people like that.

Anyway, yeah this forum is a great place to keep a friendly dialog going with other businesses! I think overall it will help create more loyal customers out of GDC's members...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

i sell on ebay and have that ALL the time. I use to respond back declining their offer and stating what min price I would take. Then they counter offer, but I also learned it's a waste of my time. I now just reject it w/ no msg back. I'll accept a TAD discounted offer, but the offers are funny. I got offered 465 shipped for wave rotors.

The more I'm in business the more i'm learning that some people who want the VERY best price are a pain in the butt. I've only been at it for almost 2 months also.

I'm not trying to get bottom feeders, but trying to make my prices competitive w/ the average prices. Agreed, friends I will try and help out at times, but if doing 20 orders yields me 100 dollars it's not worth my time one bit. Even if it's a 30 dollar product. I'm trying to keep my products away from cheaper products and I can't really get higher priced items as I don't have a storefront.

I'm trying to specialize in 100-200 dollars items mostly. I'm learning as I go and right now I"m learning it takes WAY MORE TIME then I ever thought it would. Now I see why prices are so high above cost. I see where people come from when they say "you're just making a phone call and want xx profit off it", but they don't see all the time you spend in the background. I now envy business owners who made it work...it's not easy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:46 AM
Highly unstable

welcome aboard corey..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode