Trying to increase neck size... - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Club Racer

Motorcycle: intro_vert13
Trying to increase neck size...

I wanna do some exercises to thicken up my neck, but I'm unsure as to how often these should be performed. Does working neck muscles follow with the standards of working the other muscle groups of the body once to twice a week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 12:27 AM
Old, cranky, grumpy, slow, and crusty Supermod

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Re: Trying to increase neck size...

Start at once/twice per week,and see how you respond.When gains start to cease,increase sets/intensity/or excersises.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 12:52 AM
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: 07 600 track bitch

One of my old gyms I belonged to actually had a "neck" machine...it was weird...but as far as building up the neck...I would probly just try to increase the size of your traps...the surrounding muscles will naturally build around it...

Also when stretching neck muscles I read somewhere it's bad to push the head backwards...stick to side to side and downward...for the life of me I can't remember why they mentioned this...
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 04:18 AM
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: SicShift

Quote:
1qwik6? said:
One of my old gyms I belonged to actually had a "neck" machine...it was weird...but as far as building up the neck...I would probly just try to increase the size of your traps...the surrounding muscles will naturally build around it...

Also when stretching neck muscles I read somewhere it's bad to push the head backwards...stick to side to side and downward...for the life of me I can't remember why they mentioned this...
Yeah, I was taught this as well.

I'd say do some shrugs too. It's not necessarily the neck but builds the traps at the base of the neck and probably uses your neck muscles as stabilizers. it may help give you the look you want. When you do shrugs, make sure they're straight up and straight down, not circular.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 04:25 AM
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.

[QUOTE]
SicShift said:
Quote:
1qwik6? said:
When you do shrugs, make sure they're straight up and straight down, not circular.
i see soooo many people doing rolling shrugs.. i guess they have no clue how bad it is on their shoulder and rotator cuffs..
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 04:35 AM
Superbike Champ

[QUOTE]
Fiddy_Ryder said:
Quote:
SicShift said:
Quote:
1qwik6? said:
When you do shrugs, make sure they're straight up and straight down, not circular.
i see soooo many people doing rolling shrugs.. i guess they have no clue how bad it is on their shoulder and rotator cuffs..
yeah, I see it more often than not. sad to see.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 04:43 AM
Rookie

Motorcycle: 99 750

Wrestlers will do bridges for increasing strength and flexibility in their necks. Kind of hard to explain without pictures, basically you make a tripod with your feet and head (stomach facing down). The other bridge would be lying on your back. Bend your legs (crunch position) and roll back so once again you are resting on your feet and head. From these positions you can roll your head side to side, and back and forth (kiss the floor.)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 08:41 AM
Highly unstable

ill go along with everyone on this. just do shrugs and do not roll them. i see so many squids (lifting squids) rolling the weight.. its the way to destroy your rotator cuff. i use dumbells held at my side and shrug away. be very careful if your doing any specific neck exercises as its pretty easy to wax your self.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 09:05 AM
Superbike Champ

While we're on the subject. At the main gold's here in town they have a shrug bar. It's a square basically that you step into and allows you to put some serious weight on the sides. No other gym has this and I love it.

Anyone else use those?

To intovert, definitely listen to BMF. He has, like, no neck at all. It's just an extension of his shoulders. When he has to look to the side, his whole body moves just like batman I bet..
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Superbike Champ

Quote:
SicShift said:
Anyone else use those?
Ehh...I know exactly what your talking about and for me I never been a big fan of it...I dunno why...I'm all about the dumbells...strap onto a set of 150's and shrug away

No seriously though...for those who are looking for a good form for shrugs with dumbells...like everyone said do not roll the shoulders...also...I never keep them directly at my sides I kinda bring them forward a tad so that my wrists are more by my hip flexors...and I keep the elbows slightly bent and pause for a 1/2 second up top...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: Sold

I use to see this HUGE Mofo at an old gym I went using the Ham Curls Machine to Curl weight with the back of his Neck. I don't really Suggest you do it tho, the guy was massive, I think he was a Football player actually. But I only do Shrugs, same as BMF, with Dumbbells, and I don't roll, just Shrug em. A good set of Wraps acn help you get the weights up for that.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.

Quote:
1qwik6? said:
Quote:
SicShift said:
Anyone else use those?
Ehh...I know exactly what your talking about and for me I never been a big fan of it...I dunno why...I'm all about the dumbells...strap onto a set of 150's and shrug away

No seriously though...for those who are looking for a good form for shrugs with dumbells...like everyone said do not roll the shoulders...also...I never keep them directly at my sides I kinda bring them forward a tad so that my wrists are more by my hip flexors...and I keep the elbows slightly bent and pause for a 1/2 second up top...
we got the same diamond shape thing at my golds also.. never tried it out.. i also prefer to strap into some db's same position as qwik chin down a bit and pound out shrugs with the 100's.. hits my whole trap and some upper back too..
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Rookie

Motorcycle: Matt Russell

ya im cheap and broke and dont have straps so when im shruggin i dont wanna go above 100's but shrugs are great, the gym i go to back home has that diamond/square thing you guys are talkin about, but the wicked small gym i go to down here, which is TINY but has everything i need, and most people need, has a 4way neck machine that i guess is the only one around and most of the big guys love it, ive never used it myself i already got a 17 inch neck so i dont need to get it any bigger
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 09:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
GdSaXnR said:
Wrestlers will do bridges for increasing strength and flexibility in their necks. Kind of hard to explain without pictures, basically you make a tripod with your feet and head (stomach facing down). The other bridge would be lying on your back. Bend your legs (crunch position) and roll back so once again you are resting on your feet and head. From these positions you can roll your head side to side, and back and forth (kiss the floor.)
on a show about Mike Tyson he was doing those. it looked like it hurt like hell.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 11:45 PM
Superbike Champ

Quote:
GixxerXI said:
ya im cheap and broke and dont have straps
Dude, go to a Champs or a Sports Autority and pick up a pair...they're $10...so worth it...
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 05:55 AM
Rookie

Motorcycle: Nike Air Max (Track) / Money Green Gators (street)

Quote:
GixxerXI said:
ya im cheap and broke and dont have straps
You could probobly make your own
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 06:56 AM
Novice

In submission wrestling we do lots of bridging. We also use a harness that goes around your head thats attached to weights. You can also have a friend pull your head down and you then use your neck muscles to pull your head back.

Another thing we do is have a rope that has a little piece of rubber hose, and that is also attached to weights. You actually bite down on the piece of rubber hose so you dont ruin your teeth. Curl the weight that way too.

We do alot of "functional" strength exercises and some weight lifting at the gym.

If ya have any questions, just ask and i will do my best to answer.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 07:34 AM
Rookie

Motorcycle: Matt Russell

ya ill be pickin up some straps next time i make it home, i know theres an outdoor store that has them for 3 bucks there and im goin home at the end of this week to fly to scotland so ill grab them then
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 08:41 AM
Old, cranky, grumpy, slow, and crusty Supermod

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
intro_vert13 said:
I wanna do some exercises to thicken up my neck, but I'm unsure as to how often these should be performed. Does working neck muscles follow with the standards of working the other muscle groups of the body once to twice a week?
Guy's,wasn't he just asking how many times to work the neck??
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Club Racer

Motorcycle: intro_vert13

Quote:
oldgixxer said:
Quote:
intro_vert13 said:
Guy's,wasn't he just asking how many times to work the neck??
Yeah I was actually, but I was shrugging improperly all this time so it's a good thing everyone chimed in.
You guys are the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode