Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Can I use powercommander for "slow mode"

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Todd_Sails 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm a newish rider and just purchased a k7 gsx-r750.

It has a Leo vince full system, air filter and a custom map in the powercommander.

I bought a fast bike because I had to promise to keep it for 5 years before upgrading. For me it feels very fast. Too fast actually. I'm not quite ready for the track yet and there's not enough road around here to let it loose..

As I settle into the bike I would actually like to make it less fast.
My question;
Can I use powercommander to make the bike slower?
I think I know how to save the current map and put it back on at a later date. I could put the map back to stock. But then I'd be worried that this might be bad for the bike given that it as the full system...
Is there a safe way to put the bike into "slow mode" with this tech?
Cheers,

#2 · (Edited)
Sell the bike and buy a R3 or similar. Other option is to remove the full system and PC entirely,and go back to stock configuration.

Or sell the bike.

Guess you could also go up 1t on the CS sprocket and go -2 on the rear,that may dumb-down the acceleration a bit but won't change the fact you're still riding a bike that's not beginner friendly in the least bit.

Or learn throttle control.

Good luck.

#3 ·
You could have easily kept a slower bike for 5 years, if your idea of riding isn't just pinning the throttle down a straight. There's a lot to absorb and for the first years a bike with half the horsepower of your 750 and even less, is more that enough. In any case, I can think of the following ways to limit the engine's power output without adversely affecting its operation:

1. Install restrictor plates on top of your throttle body intakes.
  2. Find someone to flash the stock ECU and ask them to change the STVA maps, such that they won't open more than say 50%. So leave any cells that have a value less than 50 unchanged, and change the rest to 50. Ask whether they can put it back to stock later on. Alternatively, if there is a pair of STVA maps, that can be selected using the map select feature of the ECU, you might flash the secondary maps, switch to them by grounding the proper pin, and simply remove the ground when time comes.
  3. Find a throttle tube with a significantly smaller pulley diameter. You'll still be able to get to full power in theory, but the throttle will only be "half-open" with the usual 90° twist and you'll need to consciously regrip to get them fully open. The throttle will also seem less sensitive.

#4 ·
Sell your 750 and buy a bike, more appropriate for your riding skill level.

Explain to whomever you promised that you would keep this bike, that this is all about your health and safety...its not about pride, dick swinging, interest rates or hurt feelings.

Props for recognizing your own limitations, concerns and reaching out. We were all new to this at one time.

Learn...that it is far more fun, riding a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

Read this...
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/13-starting-line-=======/660666-why-respecting-bike-bullshit.html

#5 ·
IMHO, going back to a stock set up- while not very practical- would not make the bike that much, slower.

JUst where are you anyways- you didn't put a location on your info.

As said, the practical thing to do would be to start on a less powerful bike.
Even in stock form, you have a powerful bike.

#6 ·
It'd be the easiest way to lose 10rwhp,besides pulling a plug-wire

#8 ·
I rode a Katana 600 for almost 5 years, it had plenty of power, more than you would need. The only reason why I got rid of it was because someone hit me and bent the frame. Coming from someone who rode a Katana 600 for 4 1/2 years, then bumped up to a fuel Injected 750, I'm telling you, you missed a vital step in your riding career. I've taken this entire riding season just to get acquainted with the SIGNIFICANT increase in controls responsiveness and power increase. I couldnt imagine jumping on a shiny new(ish) 750 as a first bike and not being scared shitless. The smart thing to do, would be to sell it for what you paid for it, buy a cheaper, more friendly beginner bike and learn on that. Trying to learn on a Supersport does not make you learn proper technique faster, quite the opposite actually

I assume you told your significant other that you wouldnt buy another bike for 5 years. If you were to tell them you made a dangerous mistake and need to sell it and get something smaller for self preservation, I can't imagine them objecting. There is an element pride swallowing that would have to happen, but it would be in your best interest.

I get that you already bought it, and you're going to PROBABLY keep it, cuz most people won't go back on a bad decision, there isn't ALOT you can do to decrease power in these things. They are purpose built race bikes.

#25 ·
'slow mode', hold up here, did he just say 'slow mode'?

OK I'm just wasting a few seconds at work- has no real benefit- don't spank me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.