Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

RapidBike

16K views 66 replies 17 participants last post by  FMJ 
#1 ·
I've chosen to go with the company RapidBike instead of PC or Bazzaz. @Johnny English

This is the easiest way to sum it up, straight from their website... You can find more information about their products and capabilities through their website.

When riding the motorcycle, the self-adaptive feature determines the automatic self-correction of air/fuel ratio maps: this active management is added up to the pre-set parameters. The adjustments set by RapidBike module improves the engine efficiency in order to reach the best performance. The self-correction process is set in multipoint technology according to RPM and TPS, for the whole range of the engine working, even when the original RPM limiter is raised (when available).

They offer Evo and Racing versions that offer even more capabilities such as TC, launch control, pit limiter, etc... Check out their web site if you didn't know about this product or company. I think it is leaps and bounds beyond PC or Bazzaz. You pay for it, but I think it is well worth it. Can't wait to have it put on my L5 with an ECU flash.

#7 ·
It doesn't do the same thing. RapidBike makes AFM adjustments live while you have to go to a dyno ever single time you want a custom tune. RapidBike does it automatically. By comparison, the old piggy back systems are dinosaurs.

#5 ·
Dropped off my ECU today and had a chat with Paul Carter. Here is what I found out...

We all know why flashing the ECU is one of the most beneficial things you can do for you bike. According to him, an ECU flash does not require a custom dyno tune or a piggy back system such as PC or Bazzaz. I was really curious about why a dyno tune wasn't necessary. He informed me that essentially the map that is installed in it would be no different than a map you could pull of the internet for a piggy back system - if not better. This pretty much eliminates the need for a PC/Bazzaz all together with the timing retard eliminator, rev limiter increase, fan temp adjustment to 190F, and flashed with the new mapping. He is sending mine to a guy in Houston who spends most of his time with gixxers. He spends most of his time working with CMRA racing teams.

Initially, I was under the impression that RapidBike would be the alternative to a custom dyno tune. That would be the case if I just threw on a piggy back system. The difference with RapidBike is that is actively manages the AFR live, making adjustments to increase efficiency and maximize performance. Once you get a custom dyno tune, you're stuck with that map. RapidBike does it for you constantly based on your riding style and exterior conditions. I was told to look at all of the Moto 2/3 guys. I'll see RapidBike some where at some point. This is exactly what they use. However... This is for people who are looking for the last 5% of engine performance. There are few people who are actually to the point of which they are trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of their engines to win races.

Evo Vs. Racing
Apparently Evo offers everything Racing does. The best way he put it is that if someone wants to spend an extra 200 so say they have the Racing module, they have that ability :dunno The additional features do include the capabilities for adding a sensor for quick shifting, traction control with a control for adjustment, launch control, and a pit lane limiter. There may be something I left out, don't mark my words. Remember, the Evo offers the capability but you still need to purchase the parts and switches for you bike in order to use the functions. I'm unsure if Racing comes with it.

To sum it all up, unless you are a top tier racer looking for that extra bit of performance, this is completely unnecessary. This is still really cool technology that the Europeans are bringing to the table. It's not very well known in the US as of yet. I've decided that throwing on their system on my bike won't do nearly as much for me as seat time on the track will. I'm sure it will make a difference in performance, but the ECU flash alone will be more than adequate for the stage I'm at.

Still interested in what you all have to say about no dyno tune with ECU flash. I hope this helped!

#6 ·
Found out something else today about rapid bike products. I've seen their product YouTune and have been confused as to what to point of it is since the main product itself already features the auto adaptive tuning. Unless you're a full time racer and want to have a tune customized for the specific track you're at, it is pointless.

The price posted on their website for my bike is $595 while I can get it through the dealer here for $500-525. If you look at Bazzaz, for example, you can get their main unit along with mapping kit option for $500, and that is sale price. With the Bazzaz you still have to take it out, hook it up to the computer and accept the suggested mappings. for essentially the same price, you can have the auto adaptive tuning features provided by rapid bike.

I'll be picking on up here in a month or two and give an update.

#11 ·
Sounds like motorcycles are finally catching up to cars and trucks from the 80s; now with fuel trim.

I've heard that the auto tune should just be used for building a map and then turned off, not daily driving. I have no experience with PCV's auto tune personally.

#13 ·
PCV doesn't need any base map, you can start with completely "zeroed" fuel map and then built it on your own with Autotune, the same with Bazzaz and Z-AFM unit. I used both systems on my ex 09 r1 and Bazzaz (with TC and QS) seemed to give better results so I fit it to my European ZL3 too and got approx 182 BHP & 111Nm with full Yoshimura R77 exhaust system and K&N "road" air filter (over 155 RWHP & 100Nm completely STOCK!).

Put your bike on a dyno now and after you install Rapid Bike so we could see the comparision how it performs.

#14 ·
I've heard nothing but good things about RapidBike. The guys at EDR Performance use RabidBike on all their high power bikes they build.

#15 ·
I have a PCV and custom mapped on my GSXR 1000 K6. But now I am thinking of getting the Dynojet Autotune. It's around £220 in UK. I guess the Autotune will allow the PCV to be used for optimum performance by taking immediate conditions. Or I am just talking crap :-(

#16 ·
Watch the video I posted. The guy even recommends getting it dunno tuned.

PC may offer auto tune but it still falls below this newer technology. Not to mention PC only controls 4 injectors.

Another thing worth noting is that rapid bike is NOT a piggy back system. PC and Bazzaz both require you to download maps onto it. RapidBike actually custom tunes live within the parameters of the ECU with all 8 injectors and adapts constantly.

#18 ·
No, there is no map to download onto the unit for the ECU to run. Think of it as a little tuner guy in your bike, and the road/track is your dyno... Because that is essentially what it is.

In fact, it is better than a dyno tune in the sense that a dyno tune is permanent until you take it back to the dyno and have it tuned again. RB does that real time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Is anyone in this forum using this software. The way I'm looking at it is....it is a piggyback unit. Only thing is it doesn't require a dyno time as it is a self learning unit and does the adjustments based on the riding conditions.

#23 ·
Why I don't consider it a piggy back unit is because it is modifying the existing mapping on the ECU within its' set parameters. PC/Bazzaz include set mappings that need to be downloaded to the unit. But if you want to call it a piggy back because you plug it in, that's fine too. This is just my opinion though :dunno

@Anthony D Are you talking about Rapid Bike as well? The more I've talked to the dealer the more I've realized that Rapid Bike does the exact same thing. It would be necessary with PC's auto tune, but as soon as you start the engine, Rapid Bike is doing its' job.

Keep in mind that this system is designed for the track, not the street. On the track you'll be using the entire range of RPMs and Rapid Bike will make adjustments in all of the RPMs. Again, it doesn't create one mapping, especially not based on a specific range of RPMs.

The map that was put on my ECU when I had it flashed is no different than it coming from PC or Bazzaz. Although it will be some time coming until I'll be able to use all of my 600 out on the track, I'm going to use Rapid Bike. Call me a Guinea Pig if you will :biggrin I'll run it on a dyno after a few track days and see what it produces.

#22 ·
You still need a dyno. Just because it makes the most HP at 13.2:1 at 9,000RPM doesn't mean it will make the most HP at 13,000RPM with the same afr. That is the problem with autotuners.

#26 ·
It sounds to me like the RapidBike is basically a PCV+SFM+Autotune.

#30 ·
I'd rather have a dyno tune than an active autotuner. Or, like Bazzaz does it, a tuner that requires you to accept the changes. What safety devices are built into the Rapidbike if the O2 sensor begins reading inaccurately and starts adding or retarding fuel trims when it shouldn't be? Does it have a safety cutoff where it goes into a safemode? Example: LSX cars can add or pull 25% fueling based on narrowband O2 sensor inputs, but after exceeding that +/-25% threshold, they throw a CEL and go into a safe mode (usually slightly rich). I would want the active tuning module to be able to do the same.

#31 ·
Also...you keep saying PC does only 4 injectors which is true about the older PC3s but the Vs can do all injectors.

Im not a PC fan boy, just saying.

Good luck if you go RapidBike Im curious to see how it goes. I have a custom mapped PC3 AND a customer dyno tune and love the combo. My bike does 99% street.

#32 ·
Do they now come with the secondary fuel module or changed to an 8-plug style? Serious question, since I know that ability usually required you to buy the 225 dollar secondary fuel module.

#34 ·
Got a chance to speak with a rep over lunch and got some more information. Will keep asking more questions that y'all being in.

RB comes with the capability for QS, you just need to purchase the sensor instead of a separate module all together.

RB doesn't utilize a dynamic AFR, tunes a were from 13.1 to 13.3. To modify it you have to additionally purchase the my tune unit.

I'm unsure of the fail safes in place... He is a supposed to email me with more detailed information.

Initially I thought this would be a great idea/investment. The lack of information provided sways me away from a purchase as of yet. As far as auto tuning goes, I'd rather get the PCV+SFM, dyno tune, and add on the auto tuner later on, but only for test runs for the weather conditions then remove it. Until I get more information about the technology, this is on hold.

Bazzaz I decided against as well because of their own auto tune feature they offer. It recommends changes after sessions you can accept but they don't always produce the best recommendations. Because of this they offer a smoothing feature... Kind of strange IMO.

Supposedly AMA has several racers using this technology. We will see what else is revealed in the next few years.

#35 ·
I know tons of WERA/CCS expert racers and MotoAmerica racers who use the PCV+SFM+QS combo, and their bikes run perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.