Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Back on a GSXR 600! So happy!

463 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  le nitro 
#1 ·
I've been riding for about 6 years now. I bought a 2012 gsxr 600 brand spankin new and really enjoyed it for about 4 years, it’s what really got me into Motorcycles and kind of removed me from the car scene. Unfortunately I got bored of it, rode a friends Ducati Streetfighter and traded up for one of those (I got the deal of the century on a brand new one, so no questions and no complaining, and it’s my precious baby and you’ll have to pry me off that bike, it will stay with me forever and no future ex wife will ever make me sell it or take it from me).

Well the sportbike bug bit me, and I really missed having one. My buddy who let me keep the Ducati in his garage, had a gixxer 600 sitting out back that belonged to this girl who said she was going to fix it and did practically nothing with it. It had been sitting outside since the beginning of spring with a tarp thrown over it. It had basic maintenance done, and a lowering link put on.

She wanted to sell it to buy a 300 since it was too large for her! (She was quite literally no more than 5' tall) So I picked it up for super cheap, and what is supposed to be a winter project...has already turned into doing 75% of the work in 2 weekends. I've put a little over $300.00 minus tires and fairings into getting all the maintenance sorted and doing all the work myself and she's starting to ride wonderfully!

It's a 2004 GSXR 600. Has a little over 18K miles (picked it up for a freaking steal). It's definitely been down before, but perfectly straight. The previous owner before the girl must have been the laziest person in the world. The right clip on broke, and the guy literally hammered the old clip on down further onto the fork, and put a universal clip on and transferred the controls. I don't think any maintenance has ever been done (minus what my buds did while that girl owned it), because everything was stupid tight and seized. I had to use a torch to get some pieces off that had metal on metal contact.

Before I had purchased it, my friend helped her do the following:

Oil, oilfilter, plugs,air filter, brake flush, coolant flush, and she had a fairing bolt kit (which comes in so fucking handy when piecing a bike back together!)

In 2 Sundays, and with the help of my wonderful friends…we basically brought the rusty bike back to life! I cleaned it up, removed a ton of crud and crap build up anywhere I could find. We did the following:
Chain, Front/Rear Sprocket, SS brake lines front & rear, new brake pads all around, new clutch cable, right clip on replaced with OEM, raised height back to OEM.

Basically the only items left are to get the front master replaced under factory recall, put the nose back on and tidy up the wiring, repaint the fairings (or replace…I really just hate this plasti dip non-sense as a temp solution), and cover the seat with new vinyl.

Sorry for the long write up, but I’m so happy and excited to have another sport bike, and just a second bike in general! This will also be my track bike, so most likely, Dunlop Q3’s will be going on since I like to ride on the street as well…I was super happy with them when I put them on my 2012 600.

Thanks for the read!

-Mike

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.