Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

My headlights quit working??? Any ideas???

36K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  dpapavas 
#1 ·
04 GSXR 600. Its never been down, never taken apart. I have never had any trouble with it in the past, but all of a sudden they quit working. Blinkers work, tail light works. The High & Low beam will not work. I have checked the fuse, and its good, bulbs are good, flipped the switch countless times...

Does anyone have any idea what to check or where to check????? I am stumped....

#3 ·
04 GSXR 600. Its never been down, never taken apart. I have never had any trouble with it in the past, but all of a sudden they quit working. Blinkers work, tail light works. The High & Low beam will not work. I have checked the fuse, and its good, bulbs are good, flipped the switch countless times...

Does anyone have any idea what to check or where to check????? I am stumped....
Yep, Multimeter time.

That will tell you if the bulbs are crapped out.

Sometimes, you cannot see the filament break.

#5 ·
You need new right hand switch..I had the same Problem few weeks ago got new bulbs check fuses still not working some people in here said its the right hand switch ..I change the right hand switch and my problem was fixed, some how its common problem with this bikes.. If you still have troubles its you headlight harness but i dout it is try the right hand switch first i bet you its that..You need to take out the air box in order to release the right hand switch Harness..

#6 ·
I had the exact same problem with my bike...but it was intermittent...they would flicker on and off sometimes...then id hit a bump and just the headlights would shut off...not exactly the best feeling when ur going down a dark country road at night at 80mph. Discovered it was that big rectangular connector located inside the left side fairing that connects the front instrument cluster/lights with the wiring harness..it was the main black (negative) wire in the connector it was all corroded from water getting in it...cleaned all the pins and loaded it with dielectric grease and has been working great ever since....its a 04 gsxr 600 btw

#10 ·
I have an 04 750 with the same problem....i can tap the harness and it will flicker...what is the soloution to this problem?? Wire the black wires seperatley? depending how the connector is lying depends on how it reacts...i havent had any problems in months then a few days ago it started doing it again...already put electric grease in the connector...running out of ideas...who fixed this problem and how? thanks, -Dave

#11 ·
well if you can tap the harness and the lights flicker your problem is definately with the plug...clean the grease out with electric cleaner or brake cleaner and look very closely at all the female terminals...make sure none of them are spread too far open...and make sure there is not excessive corrosion on the terminals...that black wire on the end is most likely the problem..that is a high amperage wire because it supplies ground for both bulbs...if any terminal is spread too far open it will cause a loose connection and it will arc inside there...i bet the plug is discolored around that terminal where it arcs it gets really hot when it does that....worse case scenario you can hardwire that black wire together and see if that corrects the problem

#13 ·
Okay, GSXR noob question, but humor me because I just picked up this '04 this week...

This bike has an HID kit, and I just noticed tonight that the headlights of course turn on when turn the key on, but the lights cut out when you actually crank the bike. You just flip the headlight switch to brights and back and they come back on.

Only noticed it because tonight was the first time I've ridden it in the dark.

Is that normal, just a GSXR thing? Never seen it before on any other bike... Although I've never had HIDs before either.

#14 ·
Hid's take a second to warm up like sodium lamps....its normal for hid's....when u crank the bike it does a big voltage drop on the whole bike and resets the ballast for the hid thats why they go out.but i tell you this!!... if u have that shitty ass 25 dollar hid kit from ebay on there id take it off before ur shit catches on fire!

#15 ·
Hid's take a second to warm up like sodium lamps....its normal for hid's...but if u have that shitty ass 25 dollar hid kit from ebay on there id take it off before ur shit catches on fire!
Not sure that its a warm-up really, since they come on when you turn the power on with the key. They just cut out when you crank the bike. They come right back on as soon as you flip the switch.

#16 ·
it's probably your starter switch. the contacts, on the inside of the plastic housing become worn and keep your headlights from coming on when you start your bike. try searching the forum for starter switch posts. I found the answer to my problem by doing that good luck.

JUST BECAUSE YOU STICK FEATHERS IN YOUR BUTT, IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU A CHICKEN.:flipoff

#17 ·
Did you guys ever figure out wat was wrong with it?? I have a 2006 gsxr 750 headlights just stopped working! I change the bubls high beam and regular (h7/h9) bulbs and they work until I go for a ride then they just turn off again! So I know it ain't the bulbs can't figure out what's wrong here?? Any help would be great

#18 ·
Does the light intensity change as you rev the engine? Get a DMM and measure the voltage at the battery when you rev to 3-5K rpms. It shouldn't be more than 14.5-15V. My guess is your regulator died and you're having an overvoltage condition. Do this before running the bike again. You don't want to run the engine with a high system voltage. All sorts of components can be fried.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.