So a few people requested in my "2 new pipes" thread that I post a write up of how I did it. I was wise enough to document the process in pictures so here it is.
I do not profess to be an expert at pipe cutting, therefore this is only the process that I used. Some may have other ways, or done things a little different. I can not make any claims of performance gains or loss with a cut pipe. I can only say that this process worked for me and I am very pleased with the results. Now on to the show!
Here is the pipe right off the bike.
I then drilled out the rivet heads on the collector side and removed the steel band. After about 30 min of trying to remove the end cap from the pipe It hit me, why not make a practice cut below my final cut line. This cut was made with a hacksaw and allowed me to not only easily remove the end cap, but also practice cutting te stainless sleve. (I would recomend this aproach as the end cap is a BITCH to get off! Cuttting it here allowed me to pry the end cap off without damaging any part of the stainless sleve that I was keeping.)
Here is a pic with the first cut done.
The internals finally exposed.
At this point I still could not seperate the sleeve from the end cap, the sleeve is on there tight. So i whipped out my trusty rotary tool and applied a cutoff wheel to the sleeve. To my surprise this baby cut through like a hot knife through butter! With the cut made I finally had the end cap free.
Now things get serious as you can see by the frosty beverage I have prepared for myself!
Now on to marking the final cut line (notice that the head on my frosty beer has frozen due to the ultra cold glass!) I used the blue 3m painters tape to mark my line. By lining the tape up around the can I was left with a straight line to cut from. Also ditched the hacksaw at this point in favor of the rotary.
Baffle exposed. There is a ton of fibreglass inside this sum beotch!
I cut the baffle off so that it would just fill in the end cap and started to reinstall the end cap. Again this end cap proved to be a pain. A little persuasion from the old malet an the whole piece came together like a charm.
Here is where I re-riveted the can. This was much easier than I thought. I just lined up the band in the same mannor as the outlet side and drilled my first hole where the two ends of the band came together. I placed the first rivet here and worked my way around the can in the same fasion. (notice that I am still enjoying my frosty beverage!)
Here is the final product! A short can and an empty beer mug!
The final product mounted on my baby!
There you have it. I hope this post can provide help to those who need it. I know I enjoyed making it. Don't be afriad to try this. Just go in prepared and have fun!