• 1 Post By springfall2008

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
LOVES old ass '85-'92 GSXR's,HATES new GSXR's

Motorcycle: GSXR K4 600
Garage
Heated grips - good idea?

Hello gixxers,

I have a question. What do you think about heated grips? It's pretty cold time now, and it's gonna be even colder, around 5*C, but I am riding my bike daily (best and fastest way to get to my workplace). I realized that the only cold parts of my body are my hands and after 10 minutes I don't feel my clutch anymore. Would it be usefull for me? Are they 'safe to use'? Most of the grips I have found are made by a company called 'Oxford'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage
Re: Heated grips - good idea?

The rental BMW I had was equipped with both heated grips and heated seats. Combined with vented leather gloves they were great, because they would keep my hands warm even when they had been soaked from raining and my hands would not become all sweaty.

That being said, I do not know if I would bother with them on my GSXR.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 1997 gsxr600. Srad

Heated grips are great in the cold if you wire them in to a live wire then they turn off with the key.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2014 GSXR1000
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORILLAxD View Post
Hello gixxers,

I have a question. What do you think about heated grips? It's pretty cold time now, and it's gonna be even colder, around 5*C, but I am riding my bike daily (best and fastest way to get to my workplace). I realized that the only cold parts of my body are my hands and after 10 minutes I don't feel my clutch anymore. Would it be usefull for me? Are they 'safe to use'? Most of the grips I have found are made by a company called 'Oxford'.
I had them on my previous bike and they were great - they really did stop your fingers from freezing and also keep you generally warm. Surprisingly enough you can put heat into your body via your hands as well as lose it!

A few tips if you do get them:

- Make sure you wire them through the ignition switch to avoid flatting your battery
- Don't wear super thick gloves with them, or you won't get the benefit of the heat. Wear a moderate winter glove and they work really well.
- Never turn them on without gloves on - they are HOT!
- Watch out when you glue the grip in place that the wire isn't snagging the clutch (don't ask...)!
- You still need to wear warm clothes on the rest of your body, if your body is cold then your fingers feel it first!
JamminJesus likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Hey, thanks for posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfall2008 View Post
I had them on my previous bike and they were great - they really did stop your fingers from freezing and also keep you generally warm. Surprisingly enough you can put heat into your body via your hands as well as lose it!

A few tips if you do get them:

- Make sure you wire them through the ignition switch to avoid flatting your battery
- Don't wear super thick gloves with them, or you won't get the benefit of the heat. Wear a moderate winter glove and they work really well.
- Never turn them on without gloves on - they are HOT!
- Watch out when you glue the grip in place that the wire isn't snagging the clutch (don't ask...)!
- You still need to wear warm clothes on the rest of your body, if your body is cold then your fingers feel it first!

Yea I mean I realized it back few years ago, if (even at home) my hands are cold - my entire body is cold and I feel bad!
About installing - my friend who's a mechanic will install it, I don't really touch my bike, he's pretty good at what he's doing so Im gonna trust him at this point
I wear nike thermoactive Nike gloves under my alpinestars sp8!
Hehe yea I learned it the bad way (about warm clothes ). I have thermoactive set under me, then normal t-shirt, then some hoodie, then alpinestars gp pro jacket, with alpinestars pants, I really feel warm with that underwear thermoactive set! I will be good with those heat grips !
springfall2008 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:18 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2014 GSXR1000
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORILLAxD View Post
Hey, thanks for posts!

Yea I mean I realized it back few years ago, if (even at home) my hands are cold - my entire body is cold and I feel bad!
About installing - my friend who's a mechanic will install it, I don't really touch my bike, he's pretty good at what he's doing so Im gonna trust him at this point
I wear nike thermoactive Nike gloves under my alpinestars sp8!
Hehe yea I learned it the bad way (about warm clothes ). I have thermoactive set under me, then normal t-shirt, then some hoodie, then alpinestars gp pro jacket, with alpinestars pants, I really feel warm with that underwear thermoactive set! I will be good with those heat grips !
Sounds good

Once you get them installed experiment with the gloves, like I said if you wear ones that are too thick then the heat doesn't get in - too thin and the tops of your hands get cold...
GORILLAxD likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 09:33 PM
Master Debater

Motorcycle: 92 GSX-R750 oil boiler, 92 CB750, 08 CBR1000RR, 2011 BMW R1200GS, 12 CBR250R

My R1200GS has heated grips, they are like heaven in the cold. You would be surprised how much warmer you feel as a whole when your hands aren't icicles. The only thing that comes to mind is my GS has an especially powerful alternator (as do most BMW's and other bikes equipped with heated grips) to drive lots of accessories and especially heating elements. Just make sure whatever bike you are installing these heated grips on can generate enough power to run them.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 11:22 PM
Provisional Novice

When it's cold heated grips are the greatest invention ever. However, I've only ridden bikes with heated grips, never owned a bike with them. I have regularly ridden in 0 deg C conditions, without heated grips, using a tight fitting inner glove that skiers use (some high tech warm and wind proof thing), underneath my normal winter motorbike gloves. There is a slight loss of finger dexterity in the beginning, using blinkers etc, but you get used to it, and it's not that major.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:36 AM
Squid

Garage

I installed a pair of trackside Heated grips from cycle gear for like 20 bucks, Best decision I've ever made, the elements wrap under your current grips so if your like me you can keep your favorite pair. only down side is having to wire everything yourself, but it's super easy to do. i was lazy and just split the power to my SAE Quick Disconnect cord so the grips pull of my battery, and a couple of times i catch kids messing with the switch and turning on the grips draining my battery. but hey "Kids will be kids" right?. I plan on tapping into my ignition like was recommended on here. but if your question is "is it worth it?" that's a FUCK YES! especially for $20 bucks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:08 AM
Track Day Winner

I have Oxfords on all my bikes apart from the Gixxer as thats a warm day bike. The new gen Oxfords can be wired direct to the battery as they auto shut down when the bike turns off.

Best things ever.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:37 AM
Stupid. Who's with me?

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & Million Edition 1000
Garage

Heated gloves are a bit better IMO. I have a friend who rode his Ducati year round. His gloves and pants plugged into his jacket and his jacket plugged into the bike. He regularly rode in sub zero temps and said most of the time he has to turn the heat down a little.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:21 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Heated gloves are great, as are heated grips. That being said, your hands being cold (even with winter gloves) is oftentimes a direct result of not enough layering for your core. Your body responds to this via vasoconstriction in the extremities to keep the blood more central, to keep the core warm, leading to your hands being cold. Even skiing in 0 degree Fahrenheit, -17 Celsius, my hands were never cold (even with thin gloves) due to having enough layers on my core. Another problem is wearing gloves that are too warm, which causes your hands to sweat and you end up getting cold due to the sweat.

Some things to consider

2006 GSXR 250 with an Akrapovic full exhaust and a flashed ECM. Slow-lane certified
2000 Honda VTR 1000. Practically a 250.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Hehe, that's pretty old thear actually.
I bought oxford heated grips the same week I started this theard.
They are fucking awesome and I can ride even in very cold weather!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode