Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

"How to" on motor rebuild , should I?

4K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  speedy sie 
#1 ·
So I have this ex-AMA motor and need to rebuild it this winter /spring, and while it is a pain in the ass, am considering doing a write up for you guys.
BUT, I asked this question prior to doing the cam degree write up, and while the question of should I do a write up generated considerable commentary, the actual "how-to" thread seemed to go largely without commentary..... Which is a little surprising and to be honest, less than rewarding considering the considerable time involved writing up a how to degree cams.
So...... Is this worthwhile, or is it going to be the same. I don't do write ups for myself, I know this shit.

#4 ·
+1 on nemesis comment... you explained it well enough on how to degree cams i saw no need for a question. A how to on rebuilding a race motor would be a good read. Me myself have never rebuilt a motorcycle motor other than my virago 500 project which is still in progress. I would like to see how rebuilding an AMA motor goes in real time not compressed into 30 min show :thumbup:

#5 ·
I would for sure subscribe to it for possible future reference. I'm sure there are many others who will do the same. Your write ups are always worth reading and many of us ( including myself) could stand to learn a thing or two! I look forward to it if you decide to do it.

I read your how to on degreeing cams and although i may never venture to do it myself I found your thread to be very interesting, if only for the purpose of learning about something i knew nothing about. Just thought I'd share my opinion as a random stranger. Thanks for all your efforts. They are not in vain! :thumbup:

#8 ·
Your degreeing cams how to is locked away for future reference by myself, as would be a how to on motor rebuild if you did it.
This site is invaluable because of alot of the how to's on it, please add another Chris!
Cheers, Ad

#9 ·
I'd be watching with a great deal of interest.....degreeing cams was way above my head :twitch

#16 ·
i have to say that you must be the CCM that GDC deserves, and not the CCM that GDC wants. no one on this forum "needs" you to do such a write-up, but many will want it/ improve their skills with it. even if no one asks a question, you will inspire confidence within a few people to take the plunge and actually perform maintenance on their machines. gear-heads do not need the write-up, but the layman may, so even though the laymen will read it and not comment, the laymen will read it and take something from it, and some will still be apprehensive about acknowledging.

#26 ·
You're off the leash Apok....make the most of it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.