Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

This is my srad, there are many like it but this one is mine...

22K views 216 replies 46 participants last post by  Armi 
#1 ·
This is the story of my 97 gsxr 750. Its came home a mess as in the first link, i got it respectable enough to ride a few months later.

second clip

Finally this is where I was mid winter, with a lot of work planned. The k4 swinger just sitting there for comparison, decided not to use it.

Attachments

See less See more
2 1
#2 ·
The first step after tear down was to get the frame, swingarm and subframe powdercoated black. More to come soon..as soon as my pc stops acting like a bitch.

Attachments

#4 ·
Yes you do, the bling linkage will be making an appearance as well!

#5 ·
So the frame is just sitting on the motor in the previous pics, started bolting everything down and added the swingarm ohlins rear shock and the sweet, sweet ero linkage complete with titanium nuts and bolts from Hamill12, not to mention the xro swingarm pivots. Love these parts. Thx again for making it easy and hooking me up!

Attachments

#6 ·
more pics, last one is a little blurry, droid razr camera sucks.

Attachments

#8 ·
I took all my wiring in the house and worked on it at night, I re taped the entire harness with fabric backed tape. Checked, cleaned and packed all connectors with dielectric grease. Third pic is when the harness was done and i laid it over the bike, and thought this should be fun. Anyone care to guess where the burnt connectors go to?

Attachments

#9 ·
Getting all the electrical in and routed right was pretty much a pain in the ass. Its nice, clean and definitely worth the effort.
Here is just one of the things ccm added to this rebuild, The new brains for my beast and so much more but we'll get into that in a minute. Wiring is mostly done at this point. I cut the plug and soldered the stator since the plug was so fried and went on with it.

Attachments

#13 ·
Ill just say I got a good deal. Ill be putting up pics of the fresh built ccm carbs later today. They look awesome and perform even better.
The motor is stock for now, I've got plans for that but I need to get it out on the road and enjoy it for awhile before I get into it.

#15 ·
Thx man. I had that thing sitting on a shelf in my room over the winter. Sometimes I would stare at and drool. :drool
Heading to the post office in an hour or so to send out those parts, should have them by the weekend.

#16 ·
Since i have a little break i wasnt counting on, Ill throw up some more pics. This is the most important part of this build to me. The carbs, I may have been the first set to ccm after the hand injury. I sent them out to him before I started the tear down, I knew they weren't right and i didnt want to play the guessing game when it came time to run it.
I have no faith in any of the local shops. It didnt take very long once I joined this site to figure out who to go to for help. I pm'ed ccm and he was nice enought to respond quickly and take on the job. I never contacted him before and he didn't know me from adam so I thought that was very cool.
Look at the carbs and droool!!!! The pics tell the story here, factory pro 1.7RK. Cant thank you enough ccm, the peace of mind is worth twice what I paid.:punk

Attachments

#17 ·
Since those carbs deserve better than a rusty tank it was either get a new one or treat mine. I decide to treat mine with por 15. This stuff is great. I took most of an afternoon to get it done but the results are pretty amazing.
She's real pretty on the inside, thought i was going to have a anxiety attack the first time i saw that.

Attachments

#18 ·
Tank getting cleansed and sealed. I used gorilla tape to seal the openings, it worked suprisingly well. The tank is now stripped of rust and any build up or sludge of any kind.

Attachments

#19 ·
Here it is sealed and looking like new. I tell everyone about this stuff, they make some cool products and the tank treatment kit was only 50 shipped. Great deal. Now I can sleep at night knowing nothing but nice clean gas is running through those carbs. these last pic were taken pretty much as soon as I was done so any thing you may see in the pics is a reflection on the clean glossy surface. It really is llike a new tank, I was shocked how good it turned out.

Attachments

#21 ·
I love the title of this thread......great build buddy.

Love those blingy bits too!!!Just curious to know why that linkage is shaped like that? is it branded?

You'll love it when she's ready.....as will I, to see it completed....

#26 ·
Thx Armi. Here's a pic of the stamp best I could get at the moment. Maybe someone can tell us why that shape/design exactly. Ill have to check for a side by side pic next to the stock link. Extreme difference between the two.

Attachments

#25 ·
Whats next? I got this full yoshimura exhaust system. I got it used but in pretty nice shape, Looks badass imo. Gettin pretty excited at this point. The fresh carbs with the factory pro 1.7rk, the power pack and the full system were really going to bring this thing to life.
Considering I was running a stock ecu, header and completely fuked carbs, I couldn't wait to feel the difference.

Attachments

#32 ·
I have a bad memory John....it deteriorates with age!

I'm sure he'll be pleased to hear from y'all.

#34 ·
Glad you guys like it so far. This part I'm pretty proud of. The billet Harris yokes with adjustable offset are sick. They weren't cheap but definitely worth the money. I wanted to look down at my controls and love what I saw. This was not the case with the old looking, worn front end I had. I wanted the bike to look and feel new or as close as I could get without going broke or crazy.

Attachments

#35 ·
are the srad's that fun to ride? i am only asking because i never heard of a srad before i joined here and it seems like there are several build threads of srad's. and i was wondering why so many are rebuilding these types of bikes.

#36 ·
Anyone wanna feild this question with some entertaining comments?

#92 ·
Just bc it's not the newest ride out there? I have fun on my old bike. Could probably have fun on anything with two wheels and a motor. :fact

OP I'm gna be different here and give a vote for the black, to me white would be over-powering. I think the black would give a good balance. :dunno

Either way sweet build! :drool

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.