Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Hey guys I'm new here!!! Looking for Boots!!

4K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Rinzlr 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I ride a K6 750 and I'm looking for a pair of solid winter boots. I'm not a track guy, strictly road guy and I'd like something that will keep me warm that I can also get off the bike and walk around in if need be. I was looking at the Dainese NightHawks and Alpinestars CR4 XCR. Unfortunately where I live bike shops have stopped carrying apparel inventory. Tell me your thoughts on these boots and your suggestions on any other boots that may fit my criteria.

Greatly Appreciated,

HCB24 :punk

#6 ·
Alpinestars SMX-5 Waterproof ( air doesn't flow through them ) is also a solid choice. I ride all year round ( temps ranging from 0 to 110+ ). :thumbup

#11 ·
for the most part, alpinestars are considered the most comfortable race boots you can buy. they will most likely fit under your jeans unless you're one of those guys who wears ass hugger tight skinny jeans.

#14 ·
I'll have to go along with that, short of any custom made footwear.

But, comfort on the bike and comfort walking are waaaaay different. I've had a pair of SMX-4's and currently a pair of SuperTech R's. I've also tried on a pair of "sporty" Berik's, and a set of Sidi Vertigo Corsa's.

I sat on a bike with all of those, and while granted, its not riding and living with them for months on end, they all felt nice and comfy on the bike. Y'know, snug and secure feeling, etc. The Corsa and the TechR's felt the best for restraining ankle movement though.

But off the bike, the Vertigo Corsa's were terrible. Lovely big ankle braces and footstraps, but they moved very little, which made walking very stiff. And very squeaky :banghead

The Berik's and the SMX-4 have no bracing at all, and were fine for walking in.

The TechR's I've found to be just like a shoe for walking in, much like the non braced boots. But yeah, they have a nice secure ankle brace too. They moved a lot easier though, the whole front bellows part is TPU, rather than accordian leather like on the SMX and Berik. A lot "flexier"

For the kind of person who needs and does want to feel comfy walking, I'd always go for the SuperTechR as they have some lovely protection, but without stupid stiffness. Seeing people always go "ohhh nah, race boots are so uncomfy, I'll take the work boots plz" is just terrible. They obviously haven't tried a good pair of properly fitting boots. Much like the sneaker brigade will say a boot takes too long to put on or something :suicide

But then again, it's kinda like a helmet. Different manufacturers have different foot shapes. The SMX-4 had a very large toebox area, good for wide feet. The Sidi's were narrower through the foot. These are the things that will matter after a few hours in the saddle. Go and try lots on if you can, thats the only way.

Joe finds most AStars to be uncomfortable. Great. Maybe he was trying the SMX-Plus model? :Dunno
I find the ones I have to be comfortable. Great. I haven't tried the SMX-Plus model.
Plus his feet may suit a Dainese boot better. And obviously they do, he has found what works for him, and I have found what works for me. :cheers

#12 ·
I disagree. I find most astars to be uncomfortable.

Dainese makes some awesome boots. The pair I have are designed to go over leathers but would go under jeans. They make a pair that go under leathers though and would work great with pants.

#13 ·
I disagree. I find most astars to be uncomfortable.

Dainese makes some awesome boots. The pair I have are designed to go over leathers but would go under jeans. They make a pair that go under leathers though and would work great with pants.
maybe you've got extra wide/skinny feet? Both alpinestars smx5 and smx plus (haven't yet had the chance to test the supertechs) were far more comfortable than my current dainese boots for any significant period of time spent on the feet.

i went to a botanical garden in my dainese boots once... and never again. I love my boots under the 2hr walking mark. Anything more, and there is definite discomfort.

#15 ·
I don't buy them to walk at the park with.
I have very average feet.
If you are talking door bed... add inserts :dunno
On the bike the a stars hem me up too much. Hard to feel pegs. Hard to feel controls. They have too much ankle bracing where manipulating foot position causes pressure points and pinches.

They are more like braces for sprained ankles than boots designed to ride in.

#18 ·
What model were you riding in Joe?

#20 ·
Whatever the top race boot was. It was two piece. Inner boot and outer boot.
The first version of the SuperTech I'd guess then?

This

As compared to this

#16 ·
Fwiw I also feel the dame about some of the astars gloves (but have not tried new ones in probably 5 years both gloves and boots). They were too bulky.

I'm all for protection. But when it gets so bulky as to be distracting on the bike it is too much then.

#17 ·
i hated my smx plus' because they got caught on my footpeg (the upper tpu part). only staple thing i've consistently liked about alpinestars stuff is it's so easy to sell lol

#26 ·
Hey man. check out the Cortech Latigos
great price 150.00
they make a waterproof version as well. 160.00
its more of an entry level race boot.. but it offers great protection for the price.
i have these as well.
comfy to wear all day, no complaints at all. Offers better protection than the A* SMX 5 plus. the ankle support is awesome for this price range. most boots in this price bracket dont offer any type of support as the Latigos.
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=194853&stc=1&d=1354634403

Attachments

#27 ·
OP: Everyone has different feet so hard to narrow down which option to go with. We have had an excellent response to the Supertech R's as one of the most comfortable race boots out there, the SMX-5 and SMX Plus have also done well. The Latigo boot is a great entry level boot for the money, we do offer a non-perforated version if interested. We have a few specials right now, one also being the Gaerne GP1 boot. Some links below if interested, so you know we also have a no-hassle exchange policy.

Latigo Boot

Gaerne GP1

#28 ·
SMX Plus Vented, i've worn mine to the mall before, super comfy

/thread

also when mine broke alpine sent me a brand new pair. I had put 4k miles on them, crashed them twice and wore thru the soles and they still warrantied them and sent me a new pair. i'll buy alpinestars for life with a warranty like that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.