Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

'04 1000... DIY Fork Seals?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  RustBoxBrad 
#1 ·
Alright, I noticed one of my forks is leaking the other day. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have installed seals in several sets of conventional forks, but never a USD set. I don't want to have to buy any special tools or anything. You guys think I should try to tackle this or farm it out? I have a good shock rebuilder here in town, but funds are slim... the joys of being in college and broke.

#2 ·
If you get right down to it the only real special tools you need to change seals is a fork spring compressor and a holder plate. You can make both of them if you wish. There's thread on here or google detailing how.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info man. It looks like I got my answer today. I was talking to the guy who's painting my wheels and he put me in touch with a Suzuki race tech who's gonna get everything done for $150. I feel for that price it isn't worth the hassle.

#6 ·
Yeah, I'd like to have powder coated them, but a painter friend of mine is doing a nice basecoat/clearcoat paint job for a really reasonable price.

its not hard but make sure you bleed all the air out before you put the back together.
traxxiondynamics sells a tool kit for like 150 that has everything you need. you will need more than a spring compressor, and locknut plate. you will need the oil level tool, you will need the cartridge holder tool as well. a fork seal driver is a good idea. it is the only thing not included with that kit
Thanks for the info man. I don't think I'll be doing enough fork seals to justify buying that kit though.

#5 ·
its not hard but make sure you bleed all the air out before you put the back together.
traxxiondynamics sells a tool kit for like 150 that has everything you need. you will need more than a spring compressor, and locknut plate. you will need the oil level tool, you will need the cartridge holder tool as well. a fork seal driver is a good idea. it is the only thing not included with that kit

#7 ·
I have done a dozen of these things and ya dont need any fancy tools, the fork springs dont have to be removed, remove the whole assembly as 1 unit, allen wrench to remove the bolt at the bottom of the fork leg and the assembly comes apart/out...
easy job

#12 ·
I'm curious about this. I saw a write-up on a Hayabusa forum where the cartridges were just pulled out and not disassembled. My only concern would be getting the oil level right since the dampener rod can't be pumped to get all of the old fluid out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.