Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

k3 GSXR 1000 header on 96 GSXR 1100 write up.

18K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  BenjaminDG 
#1 ·
First off, let me say a big thanks goes to our forum member Sid ( SINBIN) who allowed me to borrow and use his spare engine head in order for me to have the pipes bent correctly.

Ok, on with the write up.... Sorry for the crappy cell phone shots.

So I was refered to Majestic Muffler by my local mechanic Charlie ( Pro performance automotive). He let me know they were in the business of mufflers and pipe bending etc. and that they would be a good option.

Off I went. Majestic Muffler is located on 6462 Kingston Road, Toronto, ON.

I asked for Frank (Owner) , he came out,took a look at the pipe and told me to grab the engine head and come into the shop area.

Right away two of his guys were interested in doing the work. Much thanks to the two guys Brenden and Hugh ( Hugh is HUGE!! doesnt look like he even needs a pipe bender for exhausts!!)

First off the Guys secured the #3 and #4 ( left to right sitting on bike) Pipes, as the space on the pipes was already correct , they bolted right up. The bolts used were 8X1.25.

You can see here, 3 and 4 are secure and 1 and 2 are slightly off.

As you can see,#3/4 slide in perfectly.

Next , Once #3 and #4 were secure , Hugh slowly pulled on pipe #1 and #2 at the same time and put them in their respectful hole.

As there was tension on the pipe, both the guys went around torqing all the bolts evenly.

A problem that SinBin ran into was canting of the pipe. As the pipes on #3 and #4 were already secure this problem was avoided. I think this was the most important step was to make sure 3 and 4 were bolted down first.

Seating perfectly.

Next Brenden slowly applied heat using a torch for about 5 or so minuites. He went slowly and evenly until it was a light red. He applied heat to only the bend at the bottom of the pipe. He explained as the titanium was very brittle he had to go slow and very evenly as there is a high risk of cracking.

As explained, heat was only applied to the bend at the Y- Pipe on the left side of collector.

After the heating was done it was just left to cool for about 10 Minutes.

Hugh unbolted it for me when it was cool. The pipe only went back about 1mm at the most. He said that when I bolt it up , put some high temp silicon on the inside of the holes just to be sure and after riding the bike for the first time retorq all the bolts and maybe periodically check on it when I do an oil change. The heat in the headers will eventially make the whole header relax completely.

$40 Bucks out of my pocket to Frank, and I was on my way home.

The finished product.....

Hey MODS!! Can you make this my first Sticky thread??? What you say guys??

See less See more
#3 ·
GREAT info, Can't wait to see how it looks on the bike:punk:punk

What is the weight differance between the two?

#4 ·
Fantastic info! :thumbup

Couple of questions for you:

1) Did the K3 header come with a cat?

2) Any chance of seeing the actual weight differences? (I imagine they are quite drastic)

3) What are the differences in Interior Diameter between the two headers? (Will a rejet be necessary?)

4) Any issues with oil pan (or filter)/fairing clearance?

And a favor to ask of you:

Could you provide the spcaing measurements of the header tubes...I would like to see if this is a possible swap for a 750... :eek:ogle

Many thnaks,

Seb

:cheers

#6 ·
NP Sabba.

1) The K3 header does not have a Cat, The pipe that came with it ( Stock )just has some butterfly thinggy heh. I will have to remove that if I want to run the stock/quiet pipe. If you check out my old thread you can see photos of the complete stock unit when I got it.
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279110&highlight=

2) The difference between both systems complete is about 30 to 35lbs. The K3 header weighs exactly 2183 grams, which is 4.81 lbs .

3) The interior diameter appears to be the same, the K3 header might be a bit larger as the tubes flare a bit after exiting the engine head. I can tell you this Sabba, when you hold the header in your hand, the bends are so smooth and bent so well that you can tell there is soo much better airflow. Just by looking I have to say though it looks like the K3 header might be a 1/8 to 1/4 inch larger on the inside diameter.

My bike runs a tiny bit rich right now. I dont think I will need a rejet. I dont think anyone would need a rejet unless they are running lean already.

4)I havent had it on the bike yet, but looking how it lines up I think it will actually give me MORE clearance as this pipe will likely hang down an inch lower near the oilpan area than the stock unit. If you look at the photo of the header overlaping the old one, you can see that the pipe takes the same path and the drain bolt on the 1100 is behind the xpipe on the stock unit.

5)Not a problem, without measuring , I can tell you this infact will fit on a 750 as the engine head I used was from a 750. My understanding from SID was they are infact the same spacing from 93-98 model years. Picture #10 on the first posting showes the 1100 stock header on the left, as you can see, its exactly the same dimensions as the header was bent to a 750 head.

Either way , the dimensions are exactly 3.5 Inches between pipes #2 and #3.

Anymore questions, feel free to ask, I have both systems off the bike in the livingroom haha.

#8 ·
Thanks so much!

And I think you are refering to the SET valve, which is mainly there for sound-dampening (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here)...

#9 ·
you are refering to the SET valve, which is mainly there for sound-dampening (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here)...
It's really Suzuki's take on the Exup valve Yamaha came up with
(once their patent had run out of time, of course).

Sound deadening is a handy spin-off but it's really supposed to boost the bottom end & mid-range pull
(something Gsxr1000's - esp the K1 - K6 versions have no problem with anyways).

#11 ·
One more question:

If you were to chop off the mounting plate for the stock muffler, what is the outer diameter of the end of the midpipe?

Just want to see if my current slip-on would fit...

Attachments

#28 ·
Keep us posted... :)

#31 ·
coolio, i'm trying to figure out how I can get a nice bend like yours without a spare head to use.

I was thinking about buying an aftermarket set and adding a slip on. But a guy had an 04 set in a pile of parts that he gave to me for $20

Here is the aftermarket set I was thinking about. slip on headers so no bending would be needed at the Y .... I think http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-0...4346325QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

#32 ·
Holly crap!!, if I knew that the 05 06 header was that far appart I might have started with that instead!!

Definitly easier than what I did.

I heard that the smooth bend of the 03/04 is designed for the low end torque so thats why I went that route.

Those headers on ebay do look very good. I think it will give you alot more top end.

#33 ·
So how does it look on the bike?

Becaus i plan to use a gsx-r 1000 k3 k4 or k5 k6 exhaust on my 7/11W race bike aswell.

Whats the best choice?

K5 K6 hearders have link pipe 2 and 3 connected with a cannister so they may not bend so easily.

Maybe k3 k4 pipe becaus they have loose pipes and i can weld my duplex canisters on them i reckon.

#34 ·
Sorry for the late response, just seeing this now.

I think the K3/k4 header would fit better because the pipes are further apart. Not sure on weight but the k3 header is about 4-5 lbs, supper light.

The only issue like I said is contact with the oil cooler. Not sure if there would be contact on the 750 though.

Dont know about the welding part because the header is in fact a TI header.

Either way, if your interested I still have the header bent for the 1100 in my possession.

#37 ·
Yea i tought thet oil cooler would not fit but my oil cooler already is on a different locaton.

Perhaps if you use the watercooler from the 750W.

I will provide pics when i start fitting the trs system to my engine but first i need a torch to heat up and bend the pipes a bit :hammer

#39 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.