Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

One sh*tty ride into work...

2K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  groundhogday 
#1 · (Edited)
Had one hell of a ride into work today. About 12 miles into my commute, I needed to stop for gas. Once I was done filling up, completely out of the ordinary my bike was slow to crank to the point where it wouldn't turn over. I pull my phone out to see if I can borrow a truck, only to realize I somehow did not charge my phone the night before and it is now dead. Great, I now have to find my way back home. Luckily, a nice guy helped me bumpstart the bike so I can just ride it home. Unfortunately, this was just the easy part!

I make it about a mile before I immediately realize that I have managed to fry my R/R. The bike is spitting and sputtering and it is obvious the electrical system is not charging. Lights are not working, the current gear # is not changing, and it just seemed down on power. I tried my best to keep it running when it completely stalls in the middle of a bridge without a shoulder. I push it to safety and start to think how the hell I'm going to make it the next 11 miles home. I don't have a working phone, people are passing by without a care, and then it starts to friggin rain!

Once the bike cooled down for 10 min or so, I was able to bump start it and ride it a little further. At this point, the bike would go about 3/4 mile or so before it would die. I pretty much had no option other than to repeat this process all the way home. At one point I ended up in a neighborhood where a nice guy tried to help and offered water as I rested. I ended up making it about a mile from home stuck on the side of the road on slick concrete. The rear tire would not get traction when bump starting so I decided to push the bike the rest of the way home. I was surprised at how many people passed by (including fellow motorcyclists) without offering to help. It took me about 3 hours to get home.

To make matters worse, I managed to shatter my phone's screen on the trek home. Now the phone (Galaxy S3) doesn't work all together and I'm unable to get a replacement phone under warranty! Talk about one shitty ride into work!!! 2006 gsxr 600 8500 miles. Battery is about 2 weeks old

See less See more
#5 ·
yeah, thats some fucked up shit....

Saw a HD on he side of the road, stopped to see if he needed help, he was just texting a friend. Thanked me seeing if he was ok...

#8 ·
Had one hell of a ride into work today. About 12 miles into my commute, I needed to stop for gas. Once I was done filling up, completely out of the ordinary my bike was slow to crank to the point where it wouldn't turn over. I pull my phone out to see if I can borrow a truck, only to realize I somehow did not charge my phone the night before and it is now dead. Great, I now have to find my way back home. Luckily, a nice guy helped me bumpstart the bike so I can just ride it home. Unfortunately, this was just the easy part!

I make it about a mile before I immediately realize that I have managed to fry my R/R. The bike is spitting and sputtering and it is obvious the electrical system is not charging. Lights are not working, the current gear # is not changing, and it just seemed down on power. I tried my best to keep it running when it completely stalls in the middle of a bridge without a shoulder. I push it to safety and start to think how the hell I'm going to make it the next 11 miles home. I don't have a working phone, people are passing by without a care, and then it starts to friggin rain!

Once the bike cooled down for 10 min or so, I was able to bump start it and ride it a little further. At this point, the bike would go about 3/4 mile or so before it would die. I pretty much had no option other than to repeat this process all the way home. At one point I ended up in a neighborhood where a nice guy tried to help and offered water as I rested. I ended up making it about a mile from home stuck on the side of the road on slick concrete. The rear tire would not get traction when bump starting so I decided to push the bike the rest of the way home. I was surprised at how many people passed by (including fellow motorcyclists) without offering to help. It took me about 3 hours to get home.

To make matters worse, I managed to shatter my phone's screen on the trek home. Now the phone (Galaxy S3) doesn't work all together and I'm unable to get a replacement phone under warranty! Talk about one shitty ride into work!!! 2006 gsxr 600 8500 miles. Battery is about 2 weeks old
Insurance on the phone?

#9 ·
I'm surprised other riders passed you up. I was out on my XR a few years back & had just come out of the woods in the middle of nowhere onto a road. Found a guy on an older Harley whose rear fender had cracked & fell down on the tire. He was blown away when he realized I had duct tape, safety wire, & nyon ties to do a decent repair to get him on his way. I would never go by someone without seeing if they needed help.

#19 ·
^^ This.

The time I had a flat tire and was stuck on the side of the road waiting for the trailer to arrive, dozens of people pulled over to help. Bikes and cars of all varieties. People of all varieties. Someone gave me a couple of bottles of water. That kind of thing.

More often than not, when I pull over to see if a biker needs help, they nearly always wave me by with a thumbs up. Still worth it to just find out. You just never know if someone REALLY needs it. Like the OP.

--Wag--

#11 ·
:lmao In the old days, it was normal for every rider to help another rider, before all the bullshit of crotch rockets versus Harley guys, versus jap cruiser guys, versus Victory guys.

#15 ·
i had the same thing happen to me (minus the cracked phone). i had to leave my bike outside of a gas station and call work for someone to get me. i later called my father-in-law to pick me up with his truck. it turned out to be my stator and not the R/R.

#16 ·
I just can't imagine driving by someone that needed help. I always carry a towstrap in my pickup. Can't tell you how many people I've helped during the winter.

#17 ·
Up north of Montreal is all primo biking roads so lots of bike traffic.

People are so nice that I find it almost annoying that if I'm stopped at the side of the road for a smoke, it involves a lot of waving guys-by, thumb-up gestures etc...

"Annoying" is the wrong word... you know what I mean. I find it hard to believe the situation you described. Sorry you had a such a shitty day.

Oh, and harley dudes? They hardly ever wave - always makes me laugh. They're far too cool to wave at anyone except other harley riders :lol

#18 ·
Sorry to hear your luck. Hopefully things got better. As far as stopping for fellow riders, I know I'd want someone to stop.

Once, my girlfriend was driving down the road and called me to tell me a guy was just walking down I-20 with his bike parked. I buzzed over to see if I could help. Turns out he (like I had once) had lost his wallet from his backpack. I helped him look for a bit. It did bother me a little that he was a short wearing, mohawk rocking, Sperry cbr squid. He told me that, "Once I passed that exit back there I got into full tuck till about 120mph and let off around here. I figure between there is where it flew out." :facepalm

#22 ·
I had a very similar experience when I first got my Suzuki.
I was about 7 miles from home and the regulator/rectifier went out.

What sucked was that I couldn't get it to bump start since the battery was completely dead, and it was a pretty deserted road so no help from other motorists.
I ended up having to push it the 7 miles home in the midday sun.

I'll never forget that, but it sure was a good leg workout!:hammer

#23 ·
It is pretty stupid that bikers just can't be bikers. I always stop for people on the side of the road. Cars, bikes, whatever I don't care. All they can say is they're fine or they need help

When I had my Sportster I once got stranded on the side of the highway because my belt broke. A guy rolls up in a box van and helped me load it up and take it back home. It was pretty sweet and he only wanted a BJ. Pretty fair if you ask me.

#24 ·
It is pretty stupid that bikers just can't be bikers. I always stop for people on the side of the road. Cars, bikes, whatever I don't care. All they can say is they're fine or they need help

When I had my Sportster I once got stranded on the side of the highway because my belt broke. A guy rolls up in a box van and helped me load it up and take it back home. It was pretty sweet and he only wanted a BJ. Pretty fair if you ask me.
Good to know that there are still helpful people out there in this crazy world of ours. :lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.