Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

2012 Suzuki GSX-R1000 Review

35K views 54 replies 26 participants last post by  Samantha750 
#1 ·

There's a reason why national superbike grids around the world are stacked with Suzuki GSX-R1000s. With 37 championships in the past 10 years, the pedigree and performance potential of the venerable Gixxer speaks for itself. Making up at least 45% of the AMA Superbike field since 2009, the GSX-R has a reputation for winning. Of course, just when you think it can't get any better, it always does. Introducing the 2012 Suzuki GSX-R1000.

At first glance, the new GSX-R looks pretty similar to the outgoing model. It still has a funky trapezoidal headlight, familiar lines and the distinctive blue and white color scheme. According to Suzuki, the 2012 model is a "refined version of the fifth generation." Perhaps the first thing visually different is the single exhaust that replaces the twin exhaust setup of the 2011 version. Another visually obvious change is a switch to Brembo monobloc calipers (in gold to separate them from its silver 600/750 brethren) and red pinstriping around each wheel.

More: 2012 Suzuki GSX-R1000 Review on Motorcycle.com

See less See more
#2 ·

There's a reason why national superbike grids around the world are stacked with Suzuki GSX-R1000s. With 37 championships in the past 10 years, the pedigree and performance potential of the venerable Gixxer speaks for itself. Making up at least 45% of the AMA Superbike field since 2009, the GSX-R has a reputation for winning. Of course, just when you think it can't get any better, it always does. Introducing the 2012 Suzuki GSX-R1000.

At first glance, the new GSX-R looks pretty similar to the outgoing model. It still has a funky trapezoidal headlight, familiar lines and the distinctive blue and white color scheme. According to Suzuki, the 2012 model is a "refined version of the fifth generation." Perhaps the first thing visually different is the single exhaust that replaces the twin exhaust setup of the 2011 version. Another visually obvious change is a switch to Brembo monobloc calipers (in gold to separate them from its silver 600/750 brethren) and red pinstriping around each wheel.

More: 2012 Suzuki GSX-R1000 Review on Motorcycle.com
Man I would love to be part of this next shootout, I know some hold here at Willow Springs every year......awesome story

#26 · (Edited)
ME TOO...:biggrin

got my first glimpse of the 12' 1000 and I must say the hair stood up on the back of my neck..

Suzuki never fails to come through, its a thing of beauty.. never mind the HP wars and European looks, I want tried and true proven success thats a cinch to work on, a Suzuki!
You read my mind brother!!!:punk

this is a guess, but i'm fairly certain suzuki doesn't wanna squeeze out the type of money bmw spent in r&d to create a s1krr killer simply for another year of production on their already proven (by sales and coverage in top tier racing) liter bike. just a guess tho.

beautiful bike. easily the best design i've ever seen suzuki produce
I second that...:cheers

Looks pretty good. I would still take it over a super expensive BMW anyday of the week. However, i'll be sticking to 750's for the power to weight ratio.
2012 GSXR1000 has a better power to weight ratio than the 2012 GSXR750...:eek:hmy

Had an K2 1000, then K61000, turned 60 got a BMW, had it two years, just go K121000, best ever gsxr; so precise,stable and fast. Well done Hamamatsu.
I have owned a K2 / K3 / K6 and now the L2 (very soon:twitch)

You are right about the Suzuki GSXR1000 and now you are back home...:lol

Good Luck with the new bike and post up some pics ASAP...:drool

#10 ·
They may not fit. The rotor slot is narrower, and the pads are a different thickness to account for thinner rotors on this bike. Your rotors may simply be too thick to work properly on it.

#15 ·
this is a guess, but i'm fairly certain suzuki doesn't wanna squeeze out the type of money bmw spent in r&d to create a s1krr killer simply for another year of production on their already proven (by sales and coverage in top tier racing) liter bike. just a guess tho.

beautiful bike. easily the best design i've ever seen suzuki produce

#14 ·
got my first glimpse of the 12' 1000 and I must say the hair stood up on the back of my neck..

Suzuki never fails to come through, its a thing of beauty.. never mind the HP wars and European looks, I want tried and true proven success thats a cinch to work on, a Suzuki!

hoping Hopper gets well so we can see what this thing can do on the world level, I feel Hopper will get that Crescent Suzuki on the box more than once in a while and give those SBK politicians insomnia!

#18 ·
Fast bikes would be wrong, sortof. There are significant enough changes to the power delivery and all that it is a differnt bike.

The way they are right though is that the AVERAGE rider would be hard pressed to notice msot of those differences.

The bike stops better. It handles a little better, and its midrange power is MUCH better. The SDMS is better. The weight is slightly better.

Many of those things the average rider would either not notice, or only notice if he rode the two back to back though.

#19 ·
I dont get the whole idea behind "the BMW killer"

Its short by what, 10hp? How much does the Fireblade and the RSV4 have? They are the ones that usually come top of the group tests.

And in terms of the tweaks that were done to the 2012, well thats the fairly standard stuff from most manufacturers. Lighter, more power, easier to ride.
What more do you actually want as a rider?

#27 ·
#34 ·
Busa is a sport touring bike

Because it is so fast people make up another class for it :lmao.

It still is not made to handle like a supersport, and as such it is a long ways from being an S1000 killer, in what the S1000 is designed to do, which is what they origanl post was referencing.

Is the busa ultimately faster? Yup. More comfy, probably. But not an all arond better supersport. It is not a supersport at all.

Apples to oranges really

#36 ·
suzuki calls it a super sport touring bike..its on there web site so see for yourself..

ATV
Offroad
Road Bikes

Choose Your Ride

GSM is your local stockist for everything Suzuki, Road Bikes, Dirt Bikes and ATV's.
Suzuki Road Motorcycle Super Sport Hayabusa

Suzuki-Road-Motorcycle-Super-Sport-Hayabusa

Hayabusa

Since its launch, the Suzuki Hayabusa has been on the tongue of almost every bike enthusiast, and the fantasy bike of every would-be rider across the globe. When it hit the market, it ripped apart all competition and achieved the glorious mantle of being the fastest production bike in the world, a title which gave it bragging rights for the better part of a decade.

However, the Suzuki Hayabusa may be synonymous with speed in all its glory, but speed doesn’t define the Hayabusa. It has many other features which, when combined together, make for a truly phenomenal spectacle of human engineering. The new, revamped Hayabusa stands testimony to just that.

The Hayabusa is beefed up with a mighty 1304cc, liquid-cooled, 16-valve, 4-cylinder, DOHC engine which gives almost 11% better performance than its predecessor. Added to that is the SDTV (Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve) fuel injection system, which offers smoother throttle response, reduced emissions and improved fuel efficiency. The ISC (Idle Speed Control) helps to maintain a stable idle and improve cold starts, whereas the emissions are further reduced due to the PAIR system and the large volume catalyser. This makes for a bike which gives a monstrously powerful output, while adhering to the latest emission standards.

With a crisp, six-speed transmission and a revolutionary SCAS (Suzuki Clutch Assist System), the Hayabusa is able to deliver controlled and smooth downshifts. This vastly improves the handling of the bike, while enhancing its smooth, responsive power delivery.

If you thought the original Hayabusa was the greatest bike ever, wait till you get a load of this. The all-new Suzuki Hayabusa is set to change the rulebook of motorbiking forever. The rest, as they say, is history.

Click here for more information on the Hayabusa ... or fill out the following form to have one of our experts contact you to discuss your specific requirements and answer any questions you may have.

#38 ·
Yes. Suzuki made up their own name for it. Like I said.

it is still jsut a fast sport touring bike.

#41 ·
In the late 90s people thought Suzuki was pushing the limits of a sportbike technology and could not go any farther. Once they added FI, people were like "well, thats it, they are done now, cant do anything else to make them faster" :lmao

There is plenty more to be done.

#44 ·
suzuki had a test ride for their 2012's this past weekend and i had the opportunity to ride the gsxr 1000. now, i don't have the advantage of riding other 1000s to really feel the difference between them all, but let me tell you that this bike is a lot of fun to ride. it's been a while since i've been able to feel that sensation and that alone made love the bike. the power was great, feel was great, it went exactly where i wanted it to go and was actually quite easy to handle and maneuver. i felt like a kid again. :D

#45 · (Edited)
:cheers

If you like the bike and the dealer you did the test ride with then i say go for it!:punk

The bike is awsome and it all comes down to what feels best to you and not what some magazine say's...:biggrin

All the new bikes are great and if you like the bike suzuki has the best deal going right now 0% for 5 years...:fact

Plus this will be the last of the breed as it will be all electronic (TC,ABS) in a few more years...:sad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.